Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
No kids and too many nieces/nephews, who are all doing well anyway. Not really close to any of them.

I like the work that "International Justice Mission" is doing in the world. Widows, orphans and fighting corruption all over. They are our beneficiaries on what modest assets we have.

My dad gave away 30% of his income while alive, but didn't leave enough for Mom's care after he passed. So that wasn't too wise.
This is why I am so frugal with my donations. Although I have no one who depends on me, I am not willing to risk not having the money should I need it in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
There won't be very much to leave when I pass but it will go to my two children. Now if I was wealthy it would be split among my small family and no kill animal shelters.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We had children so we could enjoy them, not to pass on the family name or DNA, as some of you have stated. Stating it like that makes me wonder why you even had children? I just don't get your way of thinking, unless the children you had were pregnancy accidents? Maybe your kids are on heavy drugs, treat you like crap or don't ever make an effort to communicate with you, spend time with you, or use you. In that case, I do understand, but it makes me wonder what you were like as parents to get to this? (other than the drugs-which is a self-inflicted choice IMO) Face the facts that you are half the problem unless your child is a narcissist or mentally unstable. In that case, excluding them is excusable also IMO.

Anyways, our two sons will have what is left after we are gone. I don't care what financial shape they are in when they receive it. It is theirs to do as they wish. Giving our money away to charity instead, without telling them would be one huge kick in the a$$ to them, and I wouldn't want to be in my grave being called an old B*tch. I want my boys to have GOOD thoughts and memories of me and be grateful that we were their parents.
lol, wow so basically if they don't get your money, they will consider you bad parents???

every time I read this type of stuff, reaffirms my desire to spend every dime I have.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:49 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox View Post
Galatians 6:7-8
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

1 Timothy 5:8

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel
As another Christian "provide" does not ONLY mean leaving them wads of cash.

I "provide" for my children. I "provided" them a work ethic, that will enable them to feed themselves forever. I "provided" them a college education free of charge.

I "provided" them a path to salvation (which by the way is free) so they can reap eternal life.

people twist the bible to suit their needs.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
I'm a firm believer in giving some of it away to organizations helping the underprivileged BEFORE you die.....so you can see it helping others before you go. I like the idea of scholarships to people going into my former line of work (nursing/health care).

Old 03-12-2019, 08:17 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Anyways, our two sons will have what is left after we are gone. I don't care what financial shape they are in when they receive it. It is theirs to do as they wish. Giving our money away to charity instead, without telling them would be one huge kick in the a$$ to them, and I wouldn't want to be in my grave being called an old B*tch. I want my boys to have GOOD thoughts and memories of me and be grateful that we were their parents.
I'm not sure I'd want to leave an inheritance to children who'd call me an old B*tch if I left my money to charity instead of them.

On second thought, I am sure.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, wow so basically if they don't get your money, they will consider you bad parents???

every time I read this type of stuff, reaffirms my desire to spend every dime I have.
No, I mean if our boys have been told that everything will be theirs some day, which we have told them, then to go behind their backs and change our wills leaving them out.

That IMO, would be plain rotten and the ultimate kick in the arse for good kids to find out during the reading of the wills.

IF, for some reason we weren't going to will it to them, they would KNOW because we would tell them. We both believe in being up front and honest. And fair.

Note to add: we certainly live well and aren't saving our money for them to inherit, but they will get what we have left when we are gone, whatever that is.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I have a brother that's a total piece of crap and he's my only living relative, I think. I don't even know if he's alive. My husband's family? No way. We've left our estate to the many kids in our life. They're such a joy and very much loved. Why leave it to strangers, family or not.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Quote:
No, I mean if our boys have been told that everything will be theirs some day, which we have told them, then to go behind their backs and change our wills leaving them out.

That IMO, would be plain rotten and the ultimate kick in the arse for good kids to find out during the reading of the wills.

IF, for some reason we weren't going to will it to them, they would KNOW because we would tell them. We both believe in being up front and honest. And fair.

Note to add: we certainly live well and aren't saving our money for them to inherit, but they will get what we have left when we are gone, whatever that is.
Speaking as the adult child/potential heir, I second what gouligann is saying.

I tell my mom to spend it all before she goes, that's fine by me. It's her money that she and my (now deceased) dad worked hard to accrue, and I'm working to provide for myself. She can spend it any way she wants. She's actually a bit too frugal in some ways, my dad was the more spender one. She's finally relaxed enough to believe there's more than enough left for as long as she needs it, and has started spending a bit more to enjoy her life now, but she still wants to leave something to my sister and me, and to the grandkids.

I'm an executor, and I know that is what's in her will, but if she changed her mind and wanted to leave it elsewhere, that's her prerogative. But it would be hurtful to find out down the road, after she was gone, that she ended up leaving it elsewhere - or as I commented on a different post upthread, if she decided to leave all or most of it to my sister and none to me, for whatever reason but not telling me up front and explaining why. Communication is the issue, not what she wants to do with her money.

And from a legal perspective, knowing ahead of time means not having concerns like did someone get undue influence over her and cause her to change her will in a way that didn't really represent what she truly meant to do? If she randomly left her whole estate to some charity that I'd never heard of and that she never expressed any interest in or support of, you can bet I'd be wondering what on earth happened. But if she had been telling me for years how passionately she cared about a particular cause and that she wanted to support that cause by leaving everything to them, then I'd understand where she was coming from and not have those kinds of concerns.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:12 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
When we set up the family trust we were asked about any specific beneficiaries or charities and were hard-pressed to come up with a list. As I age I have a list but we were too young at the time. There is a will as part of the trust where special instructions or bequeaths are listed as a percentage, not a dollar amount. My daughter will then distribute the money when she takes over the trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement