Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I will need to sleep with my head elevated for the rest of my life. I have glaucoma and one of my eyes has more problems than the other and my ophthalmologist is recommending I sleep with my head elevated. So I'm sleeping in the recliner at the end of my couch. But I miss my bed and my bedroom. So now I am shopping for a new bed but have no idea what to buy. I will spend up to $1000, but hopefully no more than that.

I've looked online to see what's out there. There are all kinds of "bells and whistles" on some of them, I don't need a massage bed, I don't need anything automatic. Just a bed I can get into and comfortably sleep with my head higher than the rest of my body.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has something like this. Can you recommend what to get, where to buy it, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
What about using a bed wedge like these? They are much cheaper than an adjustable bed.

https://www.contourliving.com/backma...UaAnErEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GL2CPYT...4-e9578ee0e289

Old 03-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
What about using a bed wedge like these? They are much cheaper than an adjustable bed.

https://www.contourliving.com/backma...UaAnErEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GL2CPYT...4-e9578ee0e289

Thank you! I think the contour-living device would be the best for me.

Wanted to get a new chair for living room but canceled out that idea because I thought I would need to spend a lot on the bed. Now I can have both.

I knew there were smart, knowledgeable people here.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
The spouse has GERD and needs the head of the bed elevated to help with that - we just built a block that elevated the bed feet about 3". If you needed more than that (say more than 6") that might not work, depending on what type of bed frame you have.

One problem of an elevated pillow area is that the covers spend the night sliding downward and you spend the night tugging them back up. I use percale sheets instead of sateen to help with that.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-11-2019, 10:33 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
When I had a GERD problem, I propped the head of my bed up onto two 3" paving stones I bought from the Home Depot garden section (two stones per each leg of the bed frame, if that makes sense). I had to get the entire head of the bed propped up, rather than use a bed wedge, because I sleep on my side, and I couldn't do that with a wedge.

That 6" lift was enough to solve my GERD problem. There was one downside, though: my back muscles really hurt for about the first week of sleeping at that angle. They were not used to the slightly altered gravitational pull, I guess.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:45 AM

I should have gotten something a long time ago. I have GERD, glaucoma, back problems, and I snore. A doctor once told me I have a hiatal hernia. After he told me that he stuck his hand right where it is and I about went through the roof. He acted surprised. I don't go there anymore.

So I have a few issues to deal with.

I have been sleeping on my back for a long time. It was recommended a long time ago but I don't remember why I was told to do that.

Anyway, lots of great ideas to think about.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 AM

705 posts, read 561,804 times
I have one that we bought at Denver Mattress. I love it. You just need to buy the frame and put your mattress on and then get rid of your box springs. I have GERD, bad back and hiatal hernia. My husband has glaucoma. Sleeping elevated will help to curb snoring and encourage better breathing BUT.... sleeping on your back encourages snoring.

https://denvermattress.furniturerow...._/N-1777329306

https://www.sleep.org/articles/5-lif...educe-snoring/

Old 03-11-2019, 11:41 AM

I know sleeping on my back encourages snoring, but there was a reason why I started sleeping on my back so I'm sticking with it. Probably something to do with my eyes.
Which bed did you get?

If I can get something good for less money, I'll get that.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
I used a memory foam wedge pillow for several years for my GERD and it worked okay. But I eventually had some problems sliding down the pillow and after a few years I was waking up with headaches which may have been caused by my neck being sort of scrunched up and misaligned from the sliding. I figured it was time to replace the pillow which was not cheap being memory foam and extra wide for side sleeping.

So I invested in an adjustable bed base instead which I prefer. The lift or rise is more gradual and natural than the wedge pillow so I don't sink. You can also increase the lift to sit up in bed or raise the lower portion of the bed for swollen ankles. I rarely use the massage feature. Definitely get remote control. My Tempurpedic adjustable bed was more than $1K but I don't see why a less expensive one would not work just as well. And if it requires a new mattress, you will not have to purchase the box springs. It bothered me a little at first to have this "hospital" bed in my late 50's but I no longer care about that.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM

ABQ2015: Thank you for your input.

A few years ago a friend gave me a wedge pillow that I tried but ended up not using it. I could not get comfortable. I need something that will hold up for as long as I do (I'm 76, 77 in April).

I am thinking of ordering the contour-living thing from the site mentioned in the first response to this thread.

Someone said a regular adjustable bed weighed about 400 lbs. I am not sure if there is a limit where I live (I'm on 2nd floor).

There is definitely a lot more to consider besides what works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement