U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 07:18 AM

2,748 posts, read 991,534 times

Advertisements

We liked Oregon but their state taxes are high and I'm used to not paying any coming from Florida. We are looking at moving once I retire and found an area north of Atlanta to our liking. Is in mountains with trees which we love, easy going but still close to a city if we want cultural activities, airport etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 05:19 PM

689 posts, read 285,736 times
Default cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
I am a single gay retiree who would like to retire to a small town with a mild winter and a warm summer without excessive humidity. I really enjoy the outdoors, especially the mountains. A low cost of living is important. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...Ben
Bisbee, AZ.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:20 PM

689 posts, read 285,736 times
Default oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
I am a single gay retiree who would like to retire to a small town with a mild winter and a warm summer without excessive humidity. I really enjoy the outdoors, especially the mountains. A low cost of living is important. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...Ben
Bisbee, AZ is in a mountain and has stupendous weather like you described. It is the only very liberal town in AZ. I would definitely seek out youtube videos and articles.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:10 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Here it is 10 years since this thread began. I'd forgotten about it for a few years. Perhaps people could update where they ended up.

For me I ended up in Central Fla. I've been here going on 4 years now. I bought a mobile home in a 55 + park. As I've found with Fla, be very careful. The park has now basically become a family park. I have very few English speaking neighbors, and the crime has become concerning to me. I became rather sick this year, and sadly have found. There are no neighbors to call in an Emergency. I find Fla overly transient, and its high crime has me looking elsewhere. Last summer the huricanne, really was the deal breaker. No more homeowners ins, it was canx due to the amount of claims in Fla. I had no damage, but no power for 10 days. I can see why so many come and go in Fla. Very unstable environment.

So I'm looking again for a more stable locale in retirement.

So that's my update, anyone else care to chime in. Or some new people perhaps care to offer some info on their retirement locale.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 AM

996 posts, read 382,712 times
Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:12 AM

6,392 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Asheville, NC
It has the lowest humidity in the SE, and a strong active gay community. Lots of mountains and outdoor activities.
Very warm and accepting people —it was voted the happiest town in America!

Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM

2,563 posts, read 1,020,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Asheville, NC
It has the lowest humidity in the SE, and a strong active gay community. Lots of mountains and outdoor activities.
Very warm and accepting people —it was voted the happiest town in America!
In the south, I would choose Austin or Asheville (although neither are small).

Old 06-04-2018, 02:46 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
In the south, I would choose Austin or Asheville (although neither are small).
I understand that these are both good places to live in general, but I wonder if I wouldn't feel as if I was on a tiny "blue" island surrounded by an ocean of "red" & reminded of it every time I looked at the news what the state was doing or took a drive out of town. I lived for years in red states & it was no big deal but there is such intense tribal feelings now that it seems different.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 PM

1,151 posts, read 950,138 times
This is a bit of a ramble (sorry :-).

I visited Asheville 1.5 years ago and liked it a lot. I often heard it referred to as being like Austin, and while I can see some similarities in the youth culture there, I find Asheville to have the feel of a quite smaller town, which it is. It was somewhat humid when I was there (in August) and that opinion is coming from a Houston native. Not as bad as on the coast, like in Charleston SC (which nevertheless has a very charming historic district).

As for Austin ... well I love it from my undergraduate days, way back in prehistory. I still like it, but it has horrible traffic and blast-furnace summers, like all other big Texas cities. Just to inform people, the counties containing the big cities: Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio all have voted Democratic in recent presidential elections. I've lived in more-or-less the inner part of Houston for most of my 64 years (36 with another male) and have never had a problem because of it, at least to my knowledge. So, I would not necessarily use that criterion to rule out Texas cities, although there may be plenty of other reasons, depending on one's tastes.

I expect to move away from Houston before long, but haven't decided where. Austin could be fun, but don't want to spend summers there. Santa Fe is nice, but probably too small for me. My sister lives in southern LA County, so that is a draw, plus the relatively nice weather. The major difficulty with that is availability and affordability of a residence I'd be happy with. I have a friend in the NE and thru him I've seen some nice places there. However, as I get older, I think it will be harder for me to adjust to that kind of geographic change. At least with LA, I've had family there all my life and it's almost like a second home.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Thank you. When things don't workout. We pick ourselves up and try something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or