U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 05:41 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,119,998 times

Advertisements

Check out Village Hearth, an LGBT-friendly cohousing community about to start construction in Durham, NC. "A 55+ intentional neighborhood of LGBTs, straight friends, and allies."

There are only two units left for sale. The smallest unit is $240,000, so not affordable to everyone. Unfortunately, Durham has become fashionable and expensive lately. It's a lovely group of people. I thought about joining, but needed to stay farther northeast for family reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 06:20 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,119,998 times
I only skimmed the earlier pages of this thread, but noticed some concern about living in a blue city in a sea of red, particularly in Texas. Texas is a surprisingly accepting place. Part of the rugged individualism culture is that you don't judge your neighbors (or at least you don't show it) and you are always polite. It's not like the deep south.

I'm from San Antonio, which is very popular with same-sex families with kids. San Antonio is an especially welcoming city, being majority minority and with the strong military presence having brought all kinds of people into the city over the years.

Gay Parents of All Types in All Places | Freedom to Marry

Old 06-06-2018, 07:13 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Often it doesn't matter straight or gay.

Jim Rob, I just popped into your thread out of curiosity.

I own an inherited property outside Tampa. I will never live there. It has two units to rent out.

In 2002, my other half and I drove down so I could take my other half to Disney World and we stopped by the property.

I had not been to Disney since 1990, but had been enough tines prior to that,(every winter for a decade) that I could give the tour. I was thoroughly disappointed in what Orlando has become. We went to downtown Disney, which is outside the park and has no admission cost during the late day our last day there. As dusk set in, the place changed in "clientele " as darkness was arriving. We were amazed, felt insecure and were fairly certain the "bad element" of Orlando was there to somehow rip off the tourists. So we left earlier than we would have. It's unfortunate the human element invading at night made us feel this way.

Then we drive to my small town, also not been there since 1990 ( property is managed, so I don't deal with the day to day operations, just collect payment and relax and replenish the repair fund if necessary). I was amazed how crowded the small town outside tampa had become. Whereas the property was once out on the edge of town, because of that low income housing was built out there on formerly vacant land. Guess who populates it? The dregs of Tampa society who moved out and brought their attitudes with them.
Also on what was once a real outside of town property that a family member owns, had been built up all around. The "small town " was now a small city.
Trailer parks everywhere out there. Cheap housing breeds cheap people. Cheap people tend to cause problems, especially younger ones.
I lived down there in 1990, near my property and was robbed via home invasion!! ( home invasion is when they break in while you are home, hold you hostage via gun or in my case, big giant sharp hunting knife, and rob you of all your valuables).
I left and won't ever now live in my property.

We were also surprised how "dirty" that area of Florida was. Inside Disney is squeaky clean, outlying areas "dirty", as in filthy dirty properties, garbage everywhere, and junk everywhere. Distressed properties, some looked abandoned.

We have choosen an area in the south, but it's not in Florida at all.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. But I'm not surprised.

If you want to know where we are going, you can direct message me. I won't publicly share where we are going, but will share if you keep it to yourself. There are two areas we are strongly considering, and will decide when we are closer to actually retiring, if things there don't change much.

Good luck relocating, whether to somewhere else or where I, or others, may suggest.

Part of that dirty look you were seeing was remnants of past storms. Last year there were at least two major ones that traipsed through there. Some people might have chose not to repair and just gave up.

I don't live there but I just remember some pretty hard hit areas and the lighter the construction the more the damage shows.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 PM

1,151 posts, read 949,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I only skimmed the earlier pages of this thread, but noticed some concern about living in a blue city in a sea of red, particularly in Texas. Texas is a surprisingly accepting place. Part of the rugged individualism culture is that you don't judge your neighbors (or at least you don't show it) and you are always polite. It's not like the deep south.

I'm from San Antonio, which is very popular with same-sex families with kids. San Antonio is an especially welcoming city, being majority minority and with the strong military presence having brought all kinds of people into the city over the years.

Gay Parents of All Types in All Places | Freedom to Marry
I agree. I'm a native Houstonian and I agree with the comment about Texas in general. More specifically, I think San Antonio would be a great place for our demographic, barring any objections regarding climate and other personal preferences. In any case, I like SA a lot. It isn't a small town, though ... but there are some nice small towns nearby.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:52 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
If the OP finds themselves priced out of Asheville, they could look at Johnson City TN. There is an active thread in the forum titled "considering Johnson City" started by a gay person. I'd always had the impression Johnson City was fairly gay friendly.

Quote:
Going back to what Hefe and others were mentioning, watching/reading the national media does give me the feeling that many people in our country are being motivated to become more virulently tribalistic. Which includes fear & hatred of "the others". Aside from my concern for my own personal well-being, i also feel concerned from my country. This is not a good thing, going forward.
I'm happy to report that Knoxville is very politically/socially diverse and doesn't seem to have devolved into tribalism. It's probably too large and too humid for the OP but did show up on a list of overlooked gay-friendly cities a few years back.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:49 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
I am a single gay retiree who would like to retire to a small town with a mild winter and a warm summer without excessive humidity. I really enjoy the outdoors, especially the mountains. A low cost of living is important. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...Ben
Probably not what you are looking for, but you never know.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Gay-Georgia.html#b

Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Ha ha, but how can that compete with, urp, Johnson City?

Old 06-07-2018, 11:22 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,018,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If the OP finds themselves priced out of Asheville, they could look at Johnson City TN. There is an active thread in the forum titled "considering Johnson City" started by a gay person. I'd always had the impression Johnson City was fairly gay friendly.

I'm happy to report that Knoxville is very politically/socially diverse and doesn't seem to have devolved into tribalism. It's probably too large and too humid for the OP but did show up on a list of overlooked gay-friendly cities a few years back.
I would think Johnson City to be NOT gay-friendly at all..

Old 06-08-2018, 05:45 AM

364 posts, read 125,663 times
I didn't go through all the responses but Palm Springs, CA has a sizeable gay population. Palm Springs itself might have some pricy homes but there are more reasonable ones in various outlying communities. There are mountains overlooking the city where many people go to cool off and hike in the summer. Joshua Tree is not too far and there's hiking in the desert there. You are close to San Diego for the beach too.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:09 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I didn't go through all the responses but Palm Springs, CA has a sizeable gay population. Palm Springs itself might have some pricy homes but there are more reasonable ones in various outlying communities. There are mountains overlooking the city where many people go to cool off and hike in the summer. Joshua Tree is not too far and there's hiking in the desert there. You are close to San Diego for the beach too.
Yes your info is accurate on the area. One of the more affordable outlying communities is Cathedral City. Affordable and much of California don't go together. So anyone considering Calif. Really do your resesrch. Interior Calif will usually be cheaper than coastal Calif. Palm Springs itself is costly to say the least. So my interior theory doesn't work with Palm Springs. I know one of the common complaints I've heard on that area is electric bills. Evidently they are out of sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or