U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 07:33 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,486,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If the OP finds themselves priced out of Asheville, they could look at Johnson City TN. There is an active thread in the forum titled "considering Johnson City" started by a gay person. I'd always had the impression Johnson City was fairly gay friendly.

I'm happy to report that Knoxville is very politically/socially diverse and doesn't seem to have devolved into tribalism. It's probably too large and too humid for the OP but did show up on a list of overlooked gay-friendly cities a few years back.
I've also heard that about Knoxville. I also thinks where one is from or have lived, will play into how they find an area. Personally I think for a gay person not from the south. A person use to the big Metros, of the Northeast and West Coast. Then Knoxville and Tenn, could take some getting use to. I think it can be done though, as long as there is a proper support system in place

.I also think and cannot stress this enough. Gay friendly socially diverse areas, doesn't necessarily mean older gays are included. Many of these gay friendly areas are populated by younger gays. Knoxville is a University Town.
So there will probably be outlets for young gays, but that doesn't mean There is something for the older gay person. No social outlets to go to meet other like minded folk. I spoke to someone in Raleigh once that mentioned this fact. Large gay population in RDU, predominately most under 40. He was moving to Palm Springs, because it would be more age appropriate in retirement.

So keep that in mind. Retire in an age appropriate location, with some sort of social outlet for older gays. Or at the very least other older people that are friendly. Gay or st8 whatever, but we all need friendly. Social isolation is a severe problem in our age group. It most certainly is compounded by being gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 AM

5,691 posts, read 8,758,435 times
Quote:
I would think Johnson City to be NOT gay-friendly at all..
It's interesting that you feel your opinion carries more weight than that of people who actually live in a city. Did you even read the thread?

Now considering Johnson City

Old 06-08-2018, 11:00 AM

5,691 posts, read 8,758,435 times
It's a common misconception that Knoxville is a college town. Think of a mid size city that happens to have a university. Ditto Johnson city is a small city that happens to have a university. In either case it brings a diversity of culture/lifestyle but it's not the be all and end all.

Yes there are plenty of middle age and senior gay people in knoxville. I can't speak to the bar scene as I haven't been to a gay bar since I was young and had a gay roommate. I know several older gay people from my church which is "open and affirming", then there's the MCC as well as I know an older gay person who is Unitarian and I'm pretty sure he's not the only one there. Gay men's chorus seems to span all ages. One could also pull up images of the pride parade to gage age groups.

Yes this brings up the point that social life in the south can center around church and won't be appeal to someone who is actively anti-Christian. And one does have to put forth a bit more effort being social compared to FL but it that might be a tradeoff for having mountains nearby.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:09 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,022,328 times
Quote:
It's interesting that you feel your opinion carries more weight than that of people who actually live in a city. Did you even read the thread?

Now considering Johnson City
It's interesting and quite revealing that some posts are so critical of others...

Old 06-08-2018, 11:25 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,531,248 times
We have gay friends in Santa Fe, NM---no humidity there. "Small-town" vibe. I don't know how expensive it is these days but again, the outlying areas are more affordable. It is artsy and liberal (and touristy).

They used to live in Moab, UT....one of those blue dots in a red state but it is also gay-friendly, artsy and liberal. Not to mention drop-dead gorgeous with the red spires and the CO river passing right through.
Zero humidity....winters are not usually bad at all.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:17 AM

I visited Santa Fe a few years ago. I took the train up from Albuquerque. I liked the fact it was walkable to some extent. It was obvious its an expensive place. It is very touristy. Artsy, shops all over. I remember having trouble finding sandwich shop type restaurants, that would take debit cards. I found that strange in such a tourist area. Many celebrities either live or visit the area. It would take a certain type of retiree to live there. I would think a more affluent one. I could be wrong though, but that's the impression I got. Higher income types. I guess to sum it up. It was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 AM

3,967 posts, read 1,113,347 times
I haven't read all the posts, so this may have been mentioned.

Florence, Oregon is a very gay friendly town, gay pride parades, very friendly people in general.

Weather wise, it may be a bit cold. It's usually in the 60's, occasionally up to 70.

OTOH- No snow, no really cold temps.

Also has great recreational opportunities: Hiking, biking, boating, clamming, crabbing.

The wind does blow at times.

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-09-2018, 09:29 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I visited Santa Fe a few years ago. I took the train up from Albuquerque. I liked the fact it was walkable to some extent. It was obvious its an expensive place. It is very touristy. Artsy, shops all over. I remember having trouble finding sandwich shop type restaurants, that would take debit cards. I found that strange in such a tourist area. Many celebrities either live or visit the area. It would take a certain type of retiree to live there. I would think a more affluent one. I could be wrong though, but that's the impression I got. Higher income types. I guess to sum it up. It was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I was actually wondering this same thing. I'ver heard there is rich & poor in town which, among many other things, makes it unique. But I wonder if one is in the middle how are the opportunities for socializing, going out, etc.? I also question the summers when I assumed this small city is probably jammed with tourists & RVs for months.

It does seem to have a lot going for it but I have heard that it would take a very specific type of person to settle in there since it is such a unique place. It is near the top of my list though for a visit.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 AM

1,345 posts, read 469,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
This is true, because most gay friendly cities are liberal cities, and liberal cities as a rule across the US are expensive (and usually very nice areas)

I love Santa Fe, New Mexico, but it is not cheap. Tuscon, AZ. is liberal, Prescott, Az., Sadona, Az. Areas around Denver, Colorado are progressive. I wouldn't classify Las Vegas, Nv. as progressive, but I am sure there is a large gay population there. There are most likely areas outside of Portland, Oregon that are cheaper than Portland itself.
Prescott AZ is progressive?

Hmmmm..........................

Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It's a common misconception that Knoxville is a college town. Think of a mid size city that happens to have a university. Ditto Johnson city is a small city that happens to have a university. In either case it brings a diversity of culture/lifestyle but it's not the be all and end all.

Yes there are plenty of middle age and senior gay people in knoxville. I can't speak to the bar scene as I haven't been to a gay bar since I was young and had a gay roommate. I know several older gay people from my church which is "open and affirming", then there's the MCC as well as I know an older gay person who is Unitarian and I'm pretty sure he's not the only one there. Gay men's chorus seems to span all ages. One could also pull up images of the pride parade to gage age groups.

Yes this brings up the point that social life in the south can center around church and won't be appeal to someone who is actively anti-Christian. And one does have to put forth a bit more effort being social compared to FL but it that might be a tradeoff for having mountains nearby.
After living in Fla going on 4 years now, I can't say Fla is all that social. It does have organized social activities, but I've never seen such a complete lack of neighborliness. In fact the level of unfriendliness among seniors, has completely turned me off. I don't know if its because I'm surrounded by seniors from just a few rural Midwestern states. Or its because more and more residents are not English speaking. Either or I find it in Lakeland, and much of Fla rather odd socially.

Knoxville would probably be much easier t o connect for someone moving there. Mainly because it wouldn't be nearly as transient, and a different demograhic. Personally Fla I think is quickly loosing its appeal for some. Its level of problems is out of control.

I put my mobile home up for sale 2 weeks ago. I decided while in the hospital recovering from pneumonia. I can no longer live in Lakeland or this state. So far all I've gotten for lookers are the exact same types of people. That made my decision. To get the he'll out of this state. Perhaps if I was higher income, and could afford more affluent areas of Fla I might reconsider
That's not my case though and I'm disgusted with what I'm being exposed to living here. It will take awhile to sell, but I'm not giving it away, That's what people expect one to do here. Take advantage of the retiree, but then their in church on Sunday.

So life is short make the most of it. I'm going on vacation when this trailer sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or