U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 AM

6,573 posts, read 1,355,446 times

Advertisements

I guess perhaps the OP should have said "Gay-FRIENDLY" small town in his or her title. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there are any towns in the U.S. in which the majority of residents are LGBT -- are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 05:55 PM

466 posts, read 290,665 times
Check out Nevada City, CA. In the mountains, quaint, seems to be a large gay population. Beautiful location, about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from SF. Hour from Sacramento airport. Close to Lake Tahoe, lots of lakes and rivers and hiking. Reasonable housing costs (for CA! . Mild winters, but close to ski resorts for winter sports.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:10 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,598,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I guess perhaps the OP should have said "Gay-FRIENDLY" small town in his or her title. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there are any towns in the U.S. in which the majority of residents are LGBT -- are there?
Yes, Palm Springs CA. Not only is more than 50% of the resident population gay, in 2017 the City Council became 100% LGBT.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:26 PM

2,566 posts, read 1,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yes, Palm Springs CA. Not only is more than 50% of the resident population gay, in 2017 the City Council became 100% LGBT.
Was just thinking Palm Springs, but wouldn't really classify it as a small town (but that's relative).

Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,490,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Was just thinking Palm Springs, but wouldn't really classify it as a small town (but that's relative).
Unbelivably hot with relentless sun and little to no shade. There isn't any real tree cover. Electric bills from hell. I would call it a retirement place, for a higher income person. Although I've heard references to nearby communities as options. Such as Cathedral City. I don't know what these nearby communities are like.

Palm Springs is a nice place to visit in the winter. I've been thru the area in summertime, some years ago. It really is suffocating heat and you can't escape that kind of heat, without a drive to the crowded coast.

There was a thread on CD at one time about Palm Springs living. Many of the replies main comment, was the very high electric bills. That and expensive housing. Or the income tax on their retirement income.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
Check out Nevada City, CA. In the mountains, quaint, seems to be a large gay population. Beautiful location, about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from SF. Hour from Sacramento airport. Close to Lake Tahoe, lots of lakes and rivers and hiking. Reasonable housing costs (for CA! . Mild winters, but close to ski resorts for winter sports.
Hopefully that area is not in the fire zone. Its so sad how much of beautiful Calif is on fire.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:41 AM

292 posts, read 103,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Hopefully that area is not in the fire zone. Its so sad how much of beautiful Calif is on fire.
I am in Nevada City right now for work *cough* *cough*
You don't want to be here

Old 08-09-2018, 06:00 PM

15,199 posts, read 31,153,980 times
California just has WAY too many problems (the constant fires REALLY freak me out!!!). And it's expensive. Not a place for most of us in retirement.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:14 PM

9 posts, read 3,910 times
Hi Jimrob1,

I live in San Diego but I've been looking in other areas of California and Southern Oregon. I prefer the mountains or at least someplace with a lot of trees. People would probably think I'm crazy for wanting to move from San Diego but where I live, it has turned into a mini-Mexico. I have a lot of friends from the Hispanic community but it gets a little much when all the store announcements are made in Spanish. It feels alienating. Plus a lot of the resources are used to help undocumented residents. The wait for my doctor has become ridiculous because Kaiser cannot turn away anyone. So, I'm paying the full rate (via my company) and I have to wait a long time to see anyone.

Where I used to live before I moved to take care of my Mom, in the Santa Cruz mountains, it was my idea of heaven. Trees, close to Santa Cruz and 45 minutes drive to SF to attend cultural events. I lived there for 20 years and now I cannot afford to buy there again. Shacks are selling for 700K.

I've been looking at Medford, OR, Shasta County and Twain Harte which is near Yosemite. The houses around that area are affordable (especially for CA) but I don't know if there is a gay community at all.

I drove to Oregon to look around and really loved an area called Rogue River but it doesn't look like there is any gay life there because it's a really small town. I think most socializing is done around church things.

I think it is wise to be cognizant of a community and their tolerance level. The fanatics are very scary.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
I am in Nevada City right now for work *cough* *cough*
You don't want to be here
Stay safe. Hopefully these fires will end soon. I understand the police have questioned someone suspected of setting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or