U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times

Advertisements

Check out East Tennessee, particularly Maryville, Knoxville. Read through this thread that was on the Knoxville forum not long ago:
Gay Couple w/
The Knoxville area is respectful of the beliefs and behaviors of those who may have different lifestyles. We have a lot of traditional Baptists, Episcopalians, etc., but we also have large groups of Atheists, Wiccans and Pagans, Islamics, and other non-traditional belief systems and lifestyles.
Knoxville has a very lively downtown scene. Check into the Hotel St. Oliver for a weekend and see for yourself.
Hotel St Oliver - Knoxville, TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 28,587 times
Well, yes, Jimrob1. Gentle Ben is alive and well, and living in North Kansas City. I did consider moving to Eureka Springs, Arkansas, but found that, while it's a wonderful town to visit, there doesn't really seem to be many structured gay social activities. I moved here primarily because I, too, learned that most of the "gay" areas are also very expensive, and I found a house here in my price range that I liked. Kansas City has a moderately-sized gay community which is getting organized, and I've found several organizations with interesting activities taking place frequently. I have also rediscovered that Midwestern people are friendly, for the most part. Oh, there is some winter here, but it's much shorter than what I was experiencing in Maine and rural NY State. So I took the plunge, and we'll see how it all plays out. Cheers! Ben

Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,490,008 times
I hope it all plays out well for you.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 AM

443 posts, read 1,941,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
I am a single gay retiree who would like to retire to a small town with a mild winter and a warm summer without excessive humidity. I really enjoy the outdoors, especially the mountains. A low cost of living is important. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...Ben

Palm Springs sounds like it would be perfect for you!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:12 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
One thing I have noticed, and I don't know if this is universally true or not, is that the higher the degree of "Gayness" of a place, the more expensive it is to live there

Yeah, fat freddy. That is totally true. And, I think that they have all the places with perfect weather locked up, too. I mean , look at San Francisco for example. Does that mean that gays have good taste ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,284 times
We found a great place to retire here in Sanford, NC. We are in a gated (not over 55) community called Carolina Trace. Check it out at www.carolinatrace.com .Don't be fooled by how expensive it looks. You can get a really nice house for under 200k. I stopped working at 53, so we have to be a little frugal. It's a very afordable place to live. Everyone here has been very warm and welcoming. When we venture out nobody even seems to pay attention to us. There is a cute little downtown with everything you'd find in a big city on a small scale. We're about 30 min from all kinds of shopping and 1 hr from RDU airport. Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketrace View Post
We found a great place to retire here in Sanford, NC. We are in a gated (not over 55) community called Carolina Trace. Check it out at www.carolinatrace.com .Don't be fooled by how expensive it looks. You can get a really nice house for under 200k. I stopped working at 53, so we have to be a little frugal. It's a very afordable place to live. Everyone here has been very warm and welcoming. When we venture out nobody even seems to pay attention to us. There is a cute little downtown with everything you'd find in a big city on a small scale. We're about 30 min from all kinds of shopping and 1 hr from RDU airport. Good Luck!
Im glad you found your place in Sanford NC. Were you from NC to begin with?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 11,284 times
No Jimrob1, we relocated from Southern NJ where it would have been impossible for me to stop working right now to enjoy life with my partner. Our friends told us we were crazy to move to a small town in the South but, so far we love it. Of course, being here in such a beautiful, wooded community makes it nice. And, as I mentioned earlier, we can get to shopping and the arts in no time.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,118,694 times
Default Belated

Bringing up the rear,I am very happy the OP's found a good place. If anyone is interested in the West Coast, they should check out Guerneville CA. It's about 90 minutes from SF,and not cheap but very lovely and very gay-friendly.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketrace View Post
No Jimrob1, we relocated from Southern NJ where it would have been impossible for me to stop working right now to enjoy life with my partner. Our friends told us we were crazy to move to a small town in the South but, so far we love it. Of course, being here in such a beautiful, wooded community makes it nice. And, as I mentioned earlier, we can get to shopping and the arts in no time.
How long have you lived there? Have your friends from Jersey visited and what do they think of it? Sounds like the place meets your needs, so I guess thats whats really important. I consider the southeast area all the time, but there are so many areas of it I just can't seem to see myself living in. Im always researching this place and that place from Virginia to Florida. I don't want my Federal Pension taxed and Florida, Tenn, and NC don't tax it, so I mostly focus on those states. I do like the area right above you in Southwest Virginia also. Glad you like it there. Have you met other gay people in the area? I wouldn't want to live in a gay majority area, but its nice to know there are other gay people around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or