U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:27 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times

Advertisements

Might there be a website more focused on gay (male?) concerns? As a long-time friend of gay men in my social circle, I'd say that there are few small towns that are significantly gay-involved. Not necessarily hostile, just not enough people to say it's a gay small town. My observation is that my gay men friends have tended to go to major cities from smaller cities and towns for their lives and work, and stay there, as so many people tend to stay if they don't move to suburbs at some point.

Maybe a city with a significant gay population would have a discussion that would apply more than this one.

I emphasize "male" because gay seems to have come to equate with male, whereas back some time ago, it included gay women also. There are certainly places like Northampton, MA, that are significantly gay women, and likely would be gay male friendly, but maybe not enough men to make a social life.

Unclear if the poster is looking for a town where he'd be safe (of which there are many, any college town would likely be better than non-college) or a place with distinct gay life, and opportunities for dating.

I live in a progressive small town full of transplants, am a straight woman, and have been told my numerous people not to hope for a date around here, gay or straight! Just not real likely in a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 12:00 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
To the poster who repped me, no interest in getting on another site. I do still have a couple of gay friends in touch from afar. One is in a couple in a good Mass. city (40 and working), and the other one is sadly widowed from his lifetime love in Europe in a city (Hamburg) and retired. The younger man grew up around Boston, and the other man in a small town in West Texas and couldn't get out fast enough, but consider the time he was young in a small town- 1950s-'60s. It was a different world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or