U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,062,229 times

Advertisements

Ithaca, New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Bringing up the rear,I am very happy the OP's found a good place. If anyone is interested in the West Coast, they should check out Guerneville CA. It's about 90 minutes from SF,and not cheap but very lovely and very gay-friendly.
Yes I agree it is a nice place. Its unfortunate though the cost of living in much of California is prohibitive for many retirees.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 AM

3 posts, read 36,195 times
Default Can Anyone Help Where to Move for A Single Gay Parent

Hi Folks~ At 55, I just lost my college teaching job (dance professor). I am a single gay person of two wonderful adopted sons, 9 & 16. We can move anywhere as long as it is affordable, as an unemployed and not yet retired professional. In other words a place for under $150,000 and the home taxes are low. I am researching Florida as that is the best place for a great deal. I am willing to research all other US places. After all of my adult life doing what is best for the survival mode I now want my next third of life experiences, to be in a gay friendly community with people my age as well as diversity.

Can anyone HELP with advice????
Thanks!
BarryDance

Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,107,873 times
Eureka Springs, AR. VERY small town, less than 5,000 people.
VERY gay friendly. At least a third of the residents are gay or lesbian.
It has a low cost of living.

Lawrence, KS is about 88,000 people and is very gay friendly.
I'm not sure about the home prices but I'm sure it's a very easy search to do online.

Last edited by PurpleLove08; 03-23-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 10:40 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times
I only want a warm climate in the Eastern USA but not South Florida. I'm finding I just dont want to live in winter type climates any longer. I don't think TN, NC or SC would do it for me, even though I have tried to talk myself into these states. They still get cold there is winter, and they seem so family oriented except Asheville. Im looking more and more from between Orlando and Tampa to the Sarasota region. Somewhere in a community not overwhelmed with country folk, that like to gossip that they think your a gay. Then treat you with that distance and phony hello and quick goodbye. I have met plenty that do that, I rather limit my exposure to that as I get older. I don't really want to live right smack in the major cities.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 AM

12,703 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Ithaca, New York
I have a straight friend with a gay son, and she's always been very involved in gay things, e.g. PFLAG. She is very big on Ithaca as being a gay-friendly place.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 PM

17,403 posts, read 21,249,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
Well, yes, Jimrob1. Gentle Ben is alive and well, and living in North Kansas City. I did consider moving to Eureka Springs, Arkansas, but found that, while it's a wonderful town to visit, there doesn't really seem to be many structured gay social activities.
Being Gay myself, what exactly do structured gay social activities entail?

I have lived in Las Vegas 13+ years and I've never partaken in any gay social activities here, perhaps because I'm such a dyed-in-the-wool loner. I don't even go to the bars here, if you want to call them that.

And I'm happy with that, as is. So does it really matter where I live?

I look forward to retiring (I'm 59 now) but it's not even not even on my future radar screen, looking for a gay-tolerant city to retire in.

I do look forward to some future club activities at some senior complex I may live in, looking forward to the card games, structured activities. But I could care less if the participants are Gay or not. With Craigslist today, it can be as easy to meet someone anywhere with just a few keystrokes.

My personality, alone, has won me over in no matter what city I've lived in.

And, God forbid, I'd never want to live in an exclusively Gay community!
Never, ever, ever, ever!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:03 AM

12,703 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
...And, God forbid, I'd never want to live in an exclusively Gay community!
Never, ever, ever, ever!
I wonder why one never hears heterosexuals make a similar remark in reference to themselves.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:00 AM

21 posts, read 35,449 times
Smile Mari-Gold Creek

This place is divine.

My Wife's father leads an alternative lifestyle and resides here most of the year. Extremely friendly - and completely surrounded by beautiful landscapes.

Marigold Creek - Gay Retirement Community, GLBT retirement resort in Surprise, Arizona

It's in Arizona - But retiring is retiring right?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,287,019 times
Have you used any of the on-line screening tools? They were a big help when I made my move from Va. to Co. Denver wasn't even on my list and I love it (I know it is too big for you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or