U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:33 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,486,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Tucson, Arizona might be a reasonable alternative to Bisbee. Not a small town by any means, but not a metropolis, either. I went to college there. Although not a "gay" town, it was reasonably gay friendly then.

If you can handle a larger metropolis, there's Phoenix. It's actually supposed to be quite gay friends. Personally, I don't like the endless concrete suburban sprawl of Phoenix (and the resultant hot nights because of all the concrete holding in the heat)....but that's just me.
Yes Tucson is probably a good alternative. Im going down there later this summer to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 08:53 PM

3,195 posts, read 4,846,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have a very strong feeling your going to end up in Eugene or Corvallis. They are nice smaller more manageable cities. I can see how you would be attracted to them. Corvallis I think is very nice. Just make sure the climate is something you will want as you get older. Also make sure you completely understand your entire pension will be taxed in Oregon at about 9%. You may want to look into smaller cities in Washington to avoid the Income tax on your retirement. Olympia, Bellingham, Mt Vernon. Rather nice communities within range of Seattle but an hour and more away. Many Oregonions that prefer to stay in the NW, opt for Washington over the Oregon tax on pension income. It is June 15th and it never got beyond 55 wet degrees today, and this has been going on for a very long time. Only a day or two of 70 a couple of times a month. This can go on all summer. No real feeling of what season it is in Oregon many years.
It can be Summer and have the weather of late winter or early spring off and on thru the short summertime.
Thanks Jimrob, I had forgotten about this thread and am just now reading the replies. You have a good point about the tax issue between WA and OR. I will definitely need to stretch my modest pension as much as I can. I need to compare overall cost of living in those areas.

Especially as summer is upon us in the Southwest I feel like I wouldn't mind the cool, cloudy, and moist Northwest kind of weather year-round, although I am wary of how that climate might affect me over the long-term. I know you also have your heatwaves.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
This sounds like Saugatuck, Michigan which is actually kind of popular with Chicago gays. We go there for long weekends etc. It's quite a beautiful little town.
Nope, not Saugatuck, although I have been there. This is a MUCH smaller town I'm referring to and is not a hub for anything gay. Not far from the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
My partner and I are looking at Santa Fe, or the East Mountains between Albuquerque and Santa Fe for retirement. We really love the area. But of course it may be a little while before we retire - we're still in our early 40's.
I love many things about it, too, but after 20+ years I'm starting to yearn for a change.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 AM

86 posts, read 119,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windstar View Post
Just wondering if anyone has anything new to add to this excellent thread. My partner and I recently retired early (mid 50s), and we would love to live in a gay friendly smaller town. Right now we're checking out NM. There are some nice areas outside of Albuquerque. We're open to about anywhere in the country where the cost of housing and property taxes are not astronomical, and there are at least THREE seasons.

Cheers, John
Was curious if you found such a place. My partner and I are similar ages and are going to retire in the next couple of years. We are looking for something similar.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 PM

12 posts, read 20,270 times
Well, my spouse and I actually started looking about 3 years ago for a lower cost-of-living, gay friendly and warm area as we contemplate leaving beautiful, EXPENSIVE, Los Angeles area. We went to Albuquerque, and did not much like it. We've been to Las Vegas---the outskirts, like Henderson, and like it more. Palm Springs is more affordable now, but...still, it's California and the taxes will kill you if the real estate doesn't. I have lived in Seattle (beautiful but too grey and damp), and we've been to Sisters Oregon (high desert area, pretty redneck, but pretty, getting expensive). I grew up in Illinois, and we've looked(via United Country web site) at places from Peoria to Southern, Illinois, parts of Missouri and Iowa. I looked at the so-called "gay" retirement place in Arizona called "Marigold" and 2-3 years after it opened, I can find no pix of homes, although they say they are taking reservations for Phase Two. My partner's brother lives in Durango, and she has been there and found it somewhat charming. The recurring problem with all these places: Fear. I think it keeps a lot of us stuck. I love an adventure as well as the next person, but after what this country has been through in last two years, and promises to keep going through in next 4-7, we are very wary of any kind of radical move, but move we must in the next couple years. She is currently on a "Phoenix/Scottsdale" kick because home prices are so ridiculously low. Unfortunately, Google Earth (a great way to to check out the neighborhood) reveals a HUGE number of abandoned and foreclosed homes---which are great deals, but has the neighborhood gone to hell? In many cases, yes. If we could ALL move to Arizona, I might be for it, because nothing improves a neighborhood like a bunch of gays moving in! (Gay is short-hand for all of us--we're lesbians). But, short of that, I have no easy answers nor have we reached any definite conclusions. We pretty much stick to ourselves, but I have a feeling we'd be a bit more social with other loners! The Marigold place sounds like a living nightmare to me, but "an area" of a town where gays tend to live (like West Hollywood, but...not quite so very "on") would be ideal. I'm sorry I've probably added absolutely nothing to this thread and took a long time to do it...but it seems a lot of us are seriously looking, so don't feel alone. We'll keep you posted on our progress!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 AM

15,194 posts, read 31,143,494 times
Have any of you considered Bloomington, Indiana? I am not gay, but have been researching Indiana because my in-laws live there and they are getting older. My husband and I live in Sarasota,Florida (I am a native) and we love it because it is a small city with a lot of artists and more progressive thinking without being over the top. So I was trying to find a similar city in Indiana (it's hard to do!) and my husband said I would love Bloomington. When I saw this thread I did some more research and came up with this link:

Bloomington Indiana Tourism Center: GLBT Travel

The only thing is, it does get pretty cold there. Anyway, if I end up having to go to Indiana to help the in-laws this is where I would want to live.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Have any of you considered Bloomington, Indiana?
Actually I have, sort of. My partner went to school there (a while ago). We're both into music and IU has a gigantic music school and opera program with lots of offerings to keep us busy. But a lesbian musician friend of mine has visited there often more recently and knows a lot of musicians there (gay and straight). She said that Bloomington isn't so bad but the southern Indiana thing was a turn off. I said I thought that with all the music at IU it wouldn't matter so much but she cut me off and said "It matters!" And that was pretty much the end of the discussion. I mean, I wouldn't base my entire opinion of the place on her comments alone, but also my partner is not enthused about going back there for various reasons (even though he liked it when he was there in the 70's), so it's probably off our list. I think it would be a good option for some people. I would definitely want to be in a university town.

My latest curiosity is Bellingham, Washington. It's got Western Washington University, good highway and rail access to Vancouver BC and Seattle, boat access to the San Juan Islands. It's only 67,000 people and has a pride parade, seems like a tolerant place. No income tax in Washington State. But the dreaded weather...

Last edited by aries63; 07-26-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 PM

85 posts, read 200,451 times
Default Gay areas

Its a known fact where their are gay men. The prices are higher. Gay men move into run down areas and fix them up. Make tons of money off either other gay men or yuppies. I bought my first house outside of Dupont Circle in the middle 80s. 60000. ***** house and crack house. Only white person withiin 15 blocks. Daytime you could be shot. Lived under construction for 5 yrs. Work a fulltime job. Come home do full time on my house. Ate plaster for a few yrs. Quite tasty after a while. My point is. Sold it for 304000. Sense it has sold 3 times Last time in 09 It sold for 960000. It still has the same color that I put on it. 1300 sq ft. Heart of gay community. And I knew it would be. Might want to stay away from to big of a gay community. Lots of fun. But boy do they cost.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM

85 posts, read 200,451 times
Gypsychic sounds like a perfect neighbor to have.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:09 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,486,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy M View Post
Gypsychic sounds like a perfect neighbor to have.

Yes she does. Unfortunately neighbors like her can be difficult to find in everyday life.

Has anyone relocated lately after doing their research on areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or