U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,334,192 times

Advertisements

Still in Philly and still love it.

I know a mature gay couple who moved to Morgantown, WV (go Mountaineers!) and are thrilled to be there. I've heard some other smaller cities LGBT people might consider are: Cumberland, MD, Gettysburg, PA, and if one wants to be closer to the beach: the Hampton Roads area of VA. Anyone have comments/opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Still in Philly and still love it.

I know a mature gay couple who moved to Morgantown, WV (go Mountaineers!) and are thrilled to be there. I've heard some other smaller cities LGBT people might consider are: Cumberland, MD, Gettysburg, PA, and if one wants to be closer to the beach: the Hampton Roads area of VA. Anyone have comments/opinions?
If climate or COL are not a factor, a number of places in the Northeast are comfortable places for LGBT. Northampton, Mass., home of Smith College and centers for the arts, is prominent. Easy drive to Boston and Cambridge, for urban excursions and to the Cape for summer. WMass is at the center of a radius to NYC, Boston, Providence RI, the coast of Maine, etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If climate or COL are not a factor, a number of places in the Northeast are comfortable places for LGBT. Northampton, Mass., home of Smith College and centers for the arts, is prominent. Easy drive to Boston and Cambridge, for urban excursions and to the Cape for summer. WMass is at the center of a radius to NYC, Boston, Providence RI, the coast of Maine, etc.
For several years, my partner and I have been visiting Massachusetts (we currently live in South Florida). We really like Northampton for all the reasons you've mentioned, plus it has a lively and vibrant downtown that doesn't sacrifice that New England small-town feel. We've also considered Springfield, Mass., although the crime rate there seems higher than average. I noticed an earlier poster mentioned North Adams, Mass., which we'll also have to check out. My partner's best friend is from the Hudson Valley in New York and is trying to persuade us to join him in an antiques business that he plans to open when he retires in a couple of years. So, we have a lot to think about between now and then.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,979 times
Default Any success?

This is a great post that's been going for a while. Has anyone had any success in their research/move?
My partner and I are currently researching areas for semi-retirement (50/55). Areas with good tax benefits, reasonable cost of living, yet mild to warm climate. We are in the midwest and since my partner has adult children who live here, we would like to be within a days drive. Thinking Florida (smaller central areas around Tampa/Orlando) or possibly the Carolinas.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursephred View Post
This is a great post that's been going for a while. Has anyone had any success in their research/move?
My partner and I are currently researching areas for semi-retirement (50/55). Areas with good tax benefits, reasonable cost of living, yet mild to warm climate. We are in the midwest and since my partner has adult children who live here, we would like to be within a days drive. Thinking Florida (smaller central areas around Tampa/Orlando) or possibly the Carolinas.

Well first lets talk about a days drive. From the mid-west FL is more then a day's drive. Tampa and Orlando are at least halfway down the state certanily not within what I think is driving distance fromo say MO or IL.

If you are looking for coastal areas then you are looking in the right area. COL and taxes are going to be lower in FL. The Carolinas are a good choice as well. Closer still is TN GA and AL and all three of those states are good to look at.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,117,614 times
I am not gay but most of my friends are gay and moving to a town that is gay friendly was at the top of my list. I am retiring this month and moving to Asheville NC. Go to the Western North Carolina page to learn more. I think you would love Asheville.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I am not gay but most of my friends are gay and moving to a town that is gay friendly was at the top of my list. I am retiring this month and moving to Asheville NC. Go to the Western North Carolina page to learn more. I think you would love Asheville.
Or, in New England, Northampton Mass.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Well first lets talk about a days drive. From the mid-west FL is more then a day's drive. Tampa and Orlando are at least halfway down the state certanily not within what I think is driving distance fromo say MO or IL.

If you are looking for coastal areas then you are looking in the right area. COL and taxes are going to be lower in FL. The Carolinas are a good choice as well. Closer still is TN GA and AL and all three of those states are good to look at.
Thank you for your response. I guess I should have said a days drive for our kids, not us, lol. They consider 14 hours a days drive, which is how long it took them to get to Siesta Key last summer.

We just spent a little over a week in Florida last week and Venice seems to be an area worth considering. I would love to hear from anyone with some experience or knowledge of the area.

I will start looking at some of the other states also, thanks.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 PM

Organic_Donna

I will give Asheville some attention as well. Thank you for the input.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,484,422 times
I can't believe its was early 2008 when I first saw this thread. The years really do fly by. I wonder for those that answered the thread thru the years. Where is everyone now? Did people decide to stay put in familiar surroundings. Or did they actually take the plunge and relocate. Hopefully everyone is safe and happy with their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or