U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,288,775 times

Advertisements

I hear Cockeysville MD is very nice; but taxes are pretty high in MD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,490,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I hear Cockeysville MD is very nice; but taxes are pretty high in MD...

Yes I would imagine the taxes would be high in that location.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:34 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,381,420 times
Low humidity leaves out most of S Texas as well as the East coast stated earlier...

IF you could deal with humidity, everything else you are looking for falls into place...especially the cost of living.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Low humidity leaves out most of S Texas as well as the East coast stated earlier...

IF you could deal with humidity, everything else you are looking for falls into place...especially the cost of living.

Yes S Texas and the East Coast can have some long hot summers. S. Texas I guess long hot muggy summers are a given every year.

Hasn't San Antonio become a big draw for retirees the past few years. I even see Austin listed, but I would think that would be a rather young crowd. Not to mention Austin from what I understand has gotten very overcrowded.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes S Texas and the East Coast can have some long hot summers. S. Texas I guess long hot muggy summers are a given every year.

Hasn't San Antonio become a big draw for retirees the past few years. I even see Austin listed, but I would think that would be a rather young crowd. Not to mention Austin from what I understand has gotten very overcrowded.
Where are you in Mass.? I imagine you've checked out Northampton (?)

Stay away from Springfield.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where are you in Mass.? I imagine you've checked out Northampton (?)

Stay away from Springfield.
I'm in the Attleboro area. Yes I have been to Northampton, and its nice enough. I couldn't retire there though. Quite frankly the COL and the depressed communities, in much of Mass is out of hand for me. I have to work in retirement, at least part time. I have no choice, and these towns that were factory driven, never reinvented themselves. Attleboro and all the communities for miles around, can speak volumes about that. There really is nothing at all for a part time job, yet the rent, and everything else is sky high here for ancient housing. Every thing here is a bedroom community of Boston, and the even more depressed Rhode Island. I will not be living here now as I get older, and finally after so many years. I can say I am comfortable with that fact. That is ok to be elsewhere and I don't have to feel I have family obligations holding me here now. I finally settled that with the few family members I have living here. I am single so no real hold on me.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
I'm in the Attleboro area. Yes I have been to Northampton, and its nice enough. I couldn't retire there though. Quite frankly the COL and the depressed communities, in much of Mass is out of hand for me. I have to work in retirement, at least part time. I have no choice, and these towns that were factory driven, never reinvented themselves. Attleboro and all the communities for miles around, can speak volumes about that. There really is nothing at all for a part time job, yet the rent, and everything else is sky high here for ancient housing. Every thing here is a bedroom community of Boston, and the even more depressed Rhode Island. I will not be living here now as I get older, and finally after so many years. I can say I am comfortable with that fact. That is ok to be elsewhere and I don't have to feel I have family obligations holding me here now. I finally settled that with the few family members I have living here. I am single so no real hold on me.
What kind of work are you looking for, in what area of the country?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What kind of work are you looking for, in what area of the country?

Just menial type work now, basically what the majority of retirees go after. That's about all most of us are offered if even that. Menial/minimum wage jobs. Driver, Security, maybe grocery or retail clerk. I did the driver job for awhile with a rental car company, but those jobs at least the location I was at, started primarily hiring immigrants thru a temp agency. Evidently an agreement was set up thru the agency, immigrant relief agency and the Rental Car Companies at airports. I was with Avis. It was pretty obvious even if nothing had been said. I'm not sure if its all the major airports now, or just in areas where large settlements of immigrants have been resettled. It was Russian and Somalia immigrants at the airport I worked at. Then Avis got a nice big tax break from the Gov't.for the hiring.

So basically anything type job I mentioned will do. I currently do a Security type job and most likely will transfer to another location. I will be retiring in the SW, its cheaper to live and the weather is more to my liking. I'll be fine. I hope everyone else will be also.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Quote:

So basically anything type job I mentioned will do. I currently do a Security type job and most likely will transfer to another location. I will be retiring in the SW, its cheaper to live and the weather is more to my liking. I'll be fine. I hope everyone else will be also.
Jimrob, are you handy at all? I know someone in similar shoes, who had the same quandary.

He tried out the following idea before retiring. He, too, moved away from the NE (for the reasons you mention).

He had free time on weekends, and if it was worth it to him, he also could make time during weekdays. He was doing shift work, so days worked for him as long as it was in the morning.

He was handy. He placed ads on Craig's List as a handyman, and specialized in the retiree community. You would be amazed at the pent-up demand. He changed lightbulbs, light fixtures, installed railings, installed ramps - I forget what all else he did. At first he got only a few nibbles. He did good work, was efficient and courteous, and SHOWED UP ON TIME. This, he said, turned out to be the major selling point in his referral network.

It took him four months to build up a head of steam. In the beginning, it was something of a loss leader because he could not charge for his time driving to change light bulbs. I'm not familiar with Attleboro, but where he was in CT, it sometimes took 45 minutes to go 10 miles. But he did it to build up referrals - he figured he was earning zero anyway during his off hours, so if he made back the cost of transportation, he was building up "referral capital" if nothing else.

At the end of the first year, he was making $500/week working around 20 hrs/week, a couple of jobs every day during his off hours, and a couple of jobs on Saturday and Sunday. He couldn't ramp up the hours because his shift job had health care, and he did not want to give that up. Because of his pricing and his service, he was able to rely on $400/500 week. So he banked most of it, used it to move to TN when he turned 65, and built up the same business there.

He gave me some good advice after he moved down: If you're going to do this, stay out of the boonies - rural folk have learned how to be their own handymen. If you're going rural, he said, best skill to have is computer repair-setup-hooking up and configuring Hulu or whatever to help people ditch cable - selling and installing HD antennas. He retired to Nashville, is still doing handyman work for retired people there, and 20 hours a week is all he wants to do, with weekends off. He was a very nice man, and developed a solution that worked for him. It was kind of him to share the secret of his success.

I did not have the heart to tell him that I could never do it. I'm all thumbs, and I haven't got the foggiest idea about how to install, configure or fix actual, physical computers, wires or antennas. If I find myself in that situation, I think I'll be selling pound cake at the farmer's markets, assuming I have my own cow and chickens so I don't have to pay for the ingredients, lol!

Very best wishes to you, may wind be at your back!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:04 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,218,742 times
Lake Chapala, Mexico. The 10 Best Places to Retire in Mexico | munKNEE dot.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or