Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 09:17 AM

7,452 posts, read 4,681,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes I agree. Many of the towns are pretty open, but like anywhere. Your going to find those that are not so much. Overall though Mass is pretty open. Unfortunately much of the housing is very old and very costly. Combine that with the long cold winters and enough said I guess. What family I have left on this planet lives in Mass. They hate those winters and the cost of Mass. Not one of them would leave though.
Its home and its all they have known in their lifetime.
I wonder what makes costs high there when people don't want to live in cold places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 09:40 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I wonder what makes costs high there when people don't want to live in cold places.
Supply and Demand. Not enough turnover in real estate, and definitely not enough new housing built. Much of the state especially the Eastern half, just doesn't have the room to build.
Combine all that with the fact Mass is a small state. Its a highly populated state for its size, again primarily the Eastern half. All this definitely contributes to the high Cost of Housing.

Now the taxes the state collects that's a whole different story. Many call Mass Taxachusetts
Frankly I've found some states methods of over all taxation is worse than Mass.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:00 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
Thanks for this thread. We are also looking for similar and yes they tax you one way or another at the end the states need money to run. Some do a better job than others.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 AM

Anyone else? Where are you retiring to, or staying in place? What do you look for where you retire? Criteria, needs, wants? What research methods helped you decide? Or what in your life just said this is where I belong? Are you able to share, or are locations a private matter. Personally I don't care if people know what state, city I live in. Lakeland, Fla. I realize not everyone is the same.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Currently live in Miami Beach. While there is a lot I like about it, is really more geared to a younger, touristy crowd. It’s expensive to live here, traffic is bad and insurance keeps rising because of hurricanes and flooding issues which will increase. I like the walkable nature and I can walk out of my apt at any time and be in a restaurant, movie theatre,grocery, hospital etc within a 20 block radius.
I’ll be retiring in a couple of years and my partner and I are looking at other options.
I have always love 5he mountains and a change in seasons. Not necessarily heavy snow.
So we have looked at areas in North Carolina,Tennessee and North Georgia.

Criteria
1. Obviously must be affordable.
2. Must be close to a large city.
3. Trees and mountains that won’t be just plowed under by future building.
4. More centrally located to allow road trips.
5. Neighborhood with more educated people. Hopefully more open minded.
6, have access to activities that I enjoy, such as sports, hiking, courses for seniors etc.

Florida does have a nice perk in that it has no income tax and since I have lived here for a long time I could carry a big savings in property taxes. So even though is not the mountains that I want we have looked in central Florida also.

Right now we really like Big Canoe in North Georgia and have been staying there on and off for past few years at different times and for longer periods of times.

As I said every place including where I currently live have their pluses and negatives, but at the end I think we want a change for retirement.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:31 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Anyone else? Where are you retiring to, or staying in place? What do you look for where you retire? Criteria, needs, wants? What research methods helped you decide? Or what in your life just said this is where I belong? Are you able to share, or are locations a private matter. Personally I don't care if people know what state, city I live in. Lakeland, Fla. I realize not everyone is the same.
Thanks
Well, I'm leaving San Francisco for Oregon's Willamette Valley. Giving up perfect weather and excellent public transit to live in a less-crowded and more-affordable region, with beautiful natural surroundings. Online resources like C-D are very useful, but the best kind of research is to visit your prospective new location...

This thread is ten years old... I haven't gone back to look at the earlier posts in it, but I wonder where the OP ended up moving?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Currently live in Miami Beach. While there is a lot I like about it, is really more geared to a younger, touristy crowd. It’s expensive to live here, traffic is bad and insurance keeps rising because of hurricanes and flooding issues which will increase. I like the walkable nature and I can walk out of my apt at any time and be in a restaurant, movie theatre,grocery, hospital etc within a 20 block radius.
I’ll be retiring in a couple of years and my partner and I are looking at other options.
I have always love 5he mountains and a change in seasons. Not necessarily heavy snow.
So we have looked at areas in North Carolina,Tennessee and North Georgia.

Criteria
1. Obviously must be affordable.
2. Must be close to a large city.
3. Trees and mountains that won’t be just plowed under by future building.
4. More centrally located to allow road trips.
5. Neighborhood with more educated people. Hopefully more open minded.
6, have access to activities that I enjoy, such as sports, hiking, courses for seniors etc.

Florida does have a nice perk in that it has no income tax and since I have lived here for a long time I could carry a big savings in property taxes. So even though is not the mountains that I want we have looked in central Florida also.

Right now we really like Big Canoe in North Georgia and have been staying there on and off for past few years at different times and for longer periods of times.

As I said every place including where I currently live have their pluses and negatives, but at the end I think we want a change for retirement.
Sounds like you have some great plans for yourself. I know what you mean about parts of Fla being expensive. Mainly where you live. I think many people would be surprised, just how expensive South Fla is.

I can't say I've met any gay people, that have retired to Tenn or rural GA. If you decide on those regions, I hope the areas will meet your needs.

Your correct every place will have pluses and negatives.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Well, I'm leaving San Francisco for Oregon's Willamette Valley. Giving up perfect weather and excellent public transit to live in a less-crowded and more-affordable region, with beautiful natural surroundings. Online resources like C-D are very useful, but the best kind of research is to visit your prospective new location...

This thread is ten years old... I haven't gone back to look at the earlier posts in it, but I wonder where the OP ended up moving?
Good for you on your decision. Which community is your favorite. Metro Portland, Salem or Eugene areas?

Oregon will definitely be a lower COL, for someone from SF. Though Portland itself has had a huge increase in overall COL. Mainly housing. If your in Portland you will definitely have access to transit. I worked at the Portland Airport for a number of years. I took the Light Rail every work day. I don't think I drove but a few times in all those years
In fact I rarely drove in Portland. I walked or ride the transit options. Many of my friends ride bikes. Portland is very much a ride your bike kind of region.

I'd love to hear areas that appeal to you

Old 06-14-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you have some great plans for yourself. I know what you mean about parts of Fla being expensive. Mainly where you live. I think many people would be surprised, just how expensive South Fla is.

I can't say I've met any gay people, that have retired to Tenn or rural GA. If you decide on those regions, I hope the areas will meet your needs.

Your correct every place will have pluses and negatives.
There are actually more than we all think. BlueRidge Ga has quite a few gay owned businesses. In most other areas there a quite a few, couples mainly but just not as visible as in larger cities. I think it’s best for our country if Americans mix more rather than stay in certain areas. But I do understand the need and power for minorities to group in areas for safety and support.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:10 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Good for you on your decision.

Which community is your favorite. Metro Portland, Salem or Eugene areas?

I'd love to hear areas that appeal to you
Corvallis is my planned destination... but don't tell anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement