Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:11 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times

Advertisements

For many across the country it was a rough winter.

So now, today, March 20th, is the first day of spring!

It will be a balmy 50° or so here in the frozen tundra. Im hoping its definitely spring here, but March always has a one-two punch last ditch effort at winter here before its over. 2 years ago that meant 35" in under 18 hours dumped on us in March.

Spring and summer are my favorite seasons, but spring wins out of the two.

Really warm weather here doesnt really arrive until memorial day at the end of May. But we'll have some warm days ahead.

Oh, and the daffodils are coming up, the forsythia has budlettes, and my perennial plants are coming back green.
The snowdrops seem a little late though. They are usually first up to bloom. Nothing is blooming yet, but they are setting up to bloom.

I love me some spring!!!

How about you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Hmm, 21 views and no comments?

I guess no one here likes spring!

Its my first favorite season, my second is summer heat and humidity and all!

But spring is refreshing after long winter here in the northeast!

Seriously, now, no one here likes spring?

How about YOU?

Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Sorry Galaxy, I was late writing a response BECAUSE it's Spring! We went out on a sunrise hike this morning. Williamsburg in the Spring is not only all about daffofils and forsythia, but also baby lambs! And baby bald eagles (that's why it's a sunrise hike, that's the best time for eagle watching). It was chilly outside but so worth it. LOVE this time of year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpqdG6F6XYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM2RJ_ayMlw

^^I always associate this song with the first day of spring because the local church bells would switch from the heavier "winter music" and play it all spring when I was growing up. When you started to hear it, you could almost feel the forsythia opening up in response, LOL..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0TInLOJuUM

Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Totally agree with you. Spring in the Northeast is a beautiful time of the year. We've had a few teaser days already and today is looking like a winner too.

Having retired just 3 months ago this is my first spring in decades where I'm not looking at getting ready for school or work. Instead, I've actually been charging my camera batteries in anticipation of getting outside and walking around town or just being in our backyard photographing the flowers and birds.

Last week when the temp hit 72, my wife and I were on the deck and we were talking about how the trees and bushes are budding already. Especially the large willow tree at the backend of the property. That tree gets this nice yellow color before turning a light green.

As for the summer . . . I like the fact that we only get an average of 10 days a year where the temps are over 90. We can live with 10 days, anything more than that would be too much. There is one big plus regarding summer now that I'm retired. My wife doesn't want to retire yet but she is off during the summer because of her job. Definitely looking forward to that together time, free to do what we want.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
yes and welcome to my allergy season - lol

Old 03-20-2019, 07:24 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes and welcome to my allergy season - lol
lol I can always tell it's spring because the newspapers are filled with Claritan and nasonex coupons.

I love spring, the best thing is more daylight. I hate getting up in the dark and by 5 it's dark again.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:29 AM

705 posts, read 562,086 times
My favorite time of year in south Texas is winter because the weather isn't so hot and humid.
I agree that this winter was rough on a lot of people and animals. I still can't believe all the news stories I've seen about the farm animals being buried in snow. Spring and summer might be just as bad according to forecast about increase in tornadoes. I hope they are wrong.
https://www.wideopencountry.com/tornado-report-2019/

Old 03-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
[quote=Piney Creek;54726482]Sorry Galaxy, I was late writing a response BECAUSE it's Spring! We went out on a sunrise hike this morning. Williamsburg in the Spring is not only all about daffofils and forsythia, but also baby lambs! And baby bald eagles (that's why it's a sunrise hike, that's the best time for eagle watching). It was chilly outside but so worth it.

We moved up to a rural, agricultural area of the Hudson Valley about 15 years ago and even though I do not have a single discernable trace of a NYC accent, people around here always say they can tell I'm from the city because I refer to lambs as baby sheep, calves as baby cows, fawns as baby deer, and whatever a baby horse is called.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:04 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
My favorite time of year in south Texas is winter because the weather isn't so hot and humid.
I agree that this winter was rough on a lot of people and animals. I still can't believe all the news stories I've seen about the farm animals being buried in snow. Spring and summer might be just as bad according to forecast about increase in tornadoes. I hope they are wrong.
https://www.wideopencountry.com/tornado-report-2019/
I live in south texas and am enjoying this nice sunny chilly weather!!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
21 degrees this morning, snow forecast for tomorrow. Spring here is mid May. But still, happy first day of spring...ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement