Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 PM

172 posts, read 146,377 times

Advertisements

I had a pension that was from a company that i worked for back in 1996-1999. I took the option to roll over into my current 401K and with considerable luck, I received the lump sum in early January when the market had just taken a healthy hit. I bought in with shares nearly down 25%. I have made quite a tidy profit since then.

Here is the part which I don't get. It was an option. I could have taken the lump sum or done nothing. Doing nothing changed nothing. How is having options a bad thing? It's pretty comical watching Trump haters try and concoct anything to try to make him look bad especially when Im pretty sure he had nothing to do with this. This came about because financial institutions wanted an out from managing accounts for people who no longer worked for the companies which held the pensions.

It's just an option...lol. For me, it was a great option as I'm now controlling how I invest that money. For what it's worth I would be pretty worried about a pension in Illinois. Completely underfunded and taxpayers leaving in droves. Perhaps you should consider a lump sum and reinvest in a IRA.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
This thread is why I almost avoid posting on the RETIREMENT BOARD anymore.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:05 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
I had a pension that was from a company that i worked for back in 1996-1999. I took the option to roll over into my current 401K and with considerable luck, I received the lump sum in early January when the market had just taken a healthy hit. I bought in with shares nearly down 25%. I have made quite a tidy profit since then.

Here is the part which I don't get. It was an option. I could have taken the lump sum or done nothing. Doing nothing changed nothing. How is having options a bad thing? It's pretty comical watching Trump haters try and concoct anything to try to make him look bad especially when Im pretty sure he had nothing to do with this. This came about because financial institutions wanted an out from managing accounts for people who no longer worked for the companies which held the pensions.

It's just an option...lol. For me, it was a great option as I'm now controlling how I invest that money. For what it's worth I would be pretty worried about a pension in Illinois. Completely underfunded and taxpayers leaving in droves. Perhaps you should consider a lump sum and reinvest in a IRA.

It sounds like you are talking about a 401(k).

If it were a pension there is not "do nothing" option, either monthly installments or lump sum (in various ways).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2019, 10:34 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That is not a description of what you think the article says.
It doesn't matter what "I" think it means or says. I post the information for the reader to come to their own opinion of the story.

However, many times the readers don't have good comprehension of what they read so they launch snarky comment either about the story or the OP.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,236,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
If you have a defined pension heads up!! Your pension is now in real danger thanks to Trump!
As usual this mad man has undone a protection that Obama put in place to protect defined benefits retirees. Before long you might receive a very nasty letter telling you that you pension is now a wreck on the shoals of wall street greed!

Read this all..........

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleae.../#12f0c93368ed

https://youtu.be/1IPPn9t6dyE

Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 PM

732 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egCz5qppicY

Old 03-22-2019, 11:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It doesn't matter what "I" think it means or says. I post the information for the reader to come to their own opinion of the story.

However, many times the readers don't have good comprehension of what they read so they launch snarky comment either about the story or the OP.

You posted a link and turned it into a Trump Derangement Syndrome bashfest.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:05 AM

172 posts, read 146,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It sounds like you are talking about a 401(k).

If it were a pension there is not "do nothing" option, either monthly installments or lump sum (in various ways).
Wrong. It was a pension and the do nothing option was exactly that. Leave it...do nothing and get the monthly installments at some point when I decided to do so. This is the exact verbiage the company who managed my pension used.
I'm not ready to start using it so I didn't need to do anything, hence the "do-nothing" option. I could have left it with that managing company and eventually receive monthly installments.
Of course, as I stated I chose to take the lump sum and roll it into my current 401K so I could manage where the money was invested.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
I took the lump sum after discovering that even big company funds were largely under funded and a certain number were going belly up all the time. But I retired during the Great Recession. I put the money into an immediate annuity which meant I had control.

The way lump sum is calculated uses a concept called net present value. That means if the economy at the time is down you get more $$ than if it is doing well.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:26 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
I can't speak for other government employees, but I have worked for the state for 15 years, in which we have received 2 cost of living increases. So don't use a broad brush to paint all of us as "greedy".
Sounds as though you worked for the same state I did. When I retired we had not gotten a raise for 5 years, and I think it was another 4 or so after I left until the remaining workforce did get a raise.

Also there was the little fact that as state employees, ( I was in a medical professional category), our salaries were approximately 30% lower than we could have gotten in equivalent jobs in the private sector, so yeah, we counted on the benefits offered by our employer.

I'm happy with the defined pension I now get. It's hardly a princely sum, but it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement