U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 AM

37,116 posts, read 45,631,484 times

Advertisements

I know I need them, but up Id rather just keep saying, what? than spend the money. Lately, I see ads than seem more affordable, and less conspicuous than before.

Do you have a hearing aid?
Do you have one of the new, inside the ear types? Bluetooth?
Any pitfalls that you have learned along the way?
All the ads claim to be the latest and greatest, but what do I need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 06:46 AM

247 posts, read 90,658 times
DH has hearing aids that are Bluetooth, but not inside the ear. Shop around before buying. We did not shop around enough because we went through his insurance. We could have gotten them cheaper by not using the insurance at all.

The ads you see on TV are mostly not really hearing aids, per se. They are noise magnifiers. They make everything louder. That can actually cause your hearing to be worse in certain ranges because you are too loud in them. When it's time for me, we'll shop around more than we did on DH and I'll go through a reputable firm for a hearing test and fitting.

I've heard Costco is very cost effective. Do you have one near you?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know I need them, but...
My Dad as well.He even spent a small fortune on professionally fit aids.
Hated wearing them. Hated futzing with them even more.

otoh... this $15 WalMart type product passed muster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OoGZbK-c9M

Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,173,861 times
Clark Howard has a good article on hearing aids, as well as possible alternatives, such as hunting audio amplifiers.
https://clark.com/health-health-care...-hearing-aids/

Old 03-25-2019, 07:34 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
I don't need them, but I can tell my husband will need them in a few years. He very obviously has high frequency loss, but is in denial. I hope he will get them when the time is appropriate. Our friend has to wear two and I don't think his are adjusted right as his wife is constantly repeating things to him at a high volume because he doesn't hear it the first time, even with his wearing aids. The new ones come with a phone app that lets you adjust them for optimum levels in different situations. If I ever need them I will not hesitate to get them. To me it's like glasses, if you need them, get them. Vanity is not a reason to miss out on what's going on, or to inconvenience, or possibly even endanger, others with poor hearing.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:23 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,558,467 times
I have had hearing aids for the past 18 months. While they were about $6,000 - it has been one of the best decisions of my life. My hearing had been on the decline for about 19 years. I had lost 60% of my high pitch frequency and 40% of my medium pitch frequency hearing. The new hearing aids returned my hearing to 94% of normal hearing.

The reason I finally broke down and made the decision to buy hearing aids was because I spoke to someone who had great improvement with her hearing and recommended a specific audiologist with 20 years experience. Without that recommendation I don't think I would have made the appointment. Hearing aids have improved by leaps and bounds in the past 2 or 3 years. Love Bluetooth and the app on my iphone that automatically adjusts the hearing aid based upon my surroundings.

The price of hearing aids are not just about the cost of the physical hearing aid. It is the on going care of these hearing aids for as long as you own them and that depends upon where you purchase your hearing aids. It is also having someone who can determine based upon your type of hearing loss the best hearing aid for your particular needs.

The place where I bought my hearing aids there were 6 appointments during the first year to be sure that I was using them correctly and they were working properly. My Signa Pure 13BT primax hearing aids must be cleaned at least 2x's a year at the audiologist. I also go once a year for a hearing test so the software program can be updated based upon the results.

If there is any issue with the hearing aid, such as a broken wire or other malfunction there is a technician on duty 5 days a week to clean/ repair the unit at no charge for as long as I own the hearing aids - not just for the manufacturer's warranty period. (Someone who I know who moved to the area and needed his hearing aid repaired told me a simple replacement of a broken wire it took him 2 weeks for an appointment and cost $156 for a five minute repair job once he located someone who could repair his particular brand of hearing aid.) Yearly hearing test and software update can cost you $350 if it is not included in the price where you bought your hearing aids. My hearing aids also included 4 years of free batteries - since my batteries have to be replaced about every 8 days that adds up over time.

A good portion of the cost of hearing aids is the on going cost to maintain them over many years and have them reprogramed as needed. I consider Bluetooth and an app on my smartphone to automatically adjust the hearing aid volume in various settings a must have.

Getting a recommendation from someone who can recommend a particular place in your local area is important. You will be seeing this person multiple times your first year and at least twice to 4 times a year thereafter ( depending upon how often you have to go in to have the hearing aids cleaned due to how much ear wax you produce.)

Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 AM

37,116 posts, read 45,631,484 times
This all sounds like a can of worms I’m not sure I want to open. I have been having trouble in social situations, when there is background noise, understanding conversations, and I can tell it’s causing me to avoid these situations. Not good.

I guess I’ll probably bite the bullet at some point.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:29 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,262,973 times
I've been wearing two hearing aids for eight years, they are paid for by L&I and are subject to the provisional guidelines set by the state. I feel that the aids I've had (2 pairs) over these past eight years are adequate but not in the optimum range of function. I'm now having difficulty with one on the right ear, it crackles and pops when driving over rough roads, or playing guitar.

The hype VS the reality is a big problem for most wearers, most don't know of the massive amount of problems these things cause, and most have too high an expectation of their ability. The good news is that the technology involved is advancing on a faster than ever path, and a lot of the past problems are now solved. I have to wait five years before I can take advantage of that new tech, I'm in my mid seventies, so I won't get much of the benefit of those changes. Do a lot of research, try to ask people around you about their (H/A) experiences, and make sure you go back to the audiologist often enough to have te aids programmed correctly..

Old 03-25-2019, 09:54 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,655,156 times
^^ I've put off getting them, too. What's funny is I've discovered some parties where it's a blessing not to be able to understand everything people say.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM

21,868 posts, read 14,377,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This all sounds like a can of worms Im not sure I want to open. I have been having trouble in social situations, when there is background noise, understanding conversations, and I can tell its causing me to avoid these situations. Not good.

I guess Ill probably bite the bullet at some point.
You can get a free hearing test at Costco. We both did that. I was surprised to find that my hearing was in the normal range. DH has trouble hearing upper register. But we both have trouble with some audio conversation on TV. We are not having problems in social situations though.

I posted this question here several years ago, and many people pointed me to Costco.

I know someone with profound hearing loss, who wears aids, and still has to ask what? during conversations. My own mother did nothing about her hearing loss until she was so denented it would have been useless to buy her an aid. It is tiring for everyone when someone has to have everything repeated. I intend to get aids when I finally need them. You miss so much when you cant hear properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement