Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:10 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

there are no emergency or unexpected spending from renting for us .....

the biggest issue we have always dropping a bomb on us is insane dental expenses ... but we fear no sudden big housing cost expenses anymore . the usual rental increases are not a problem as our investments grow at a far greater rate providing all our living expenses and more .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 10:53 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I would consider renting in retirement IF there were such a thing as a completely soundproof apartment building, where even if the neighbor next door is blasting his stereo, I wouldn't hear a thing. Alas, I'm not sure those exist.

One of the joys of living in my current house (on 1.29 acres) is the peace and quiet. I lived in enlisted military housing my entire childhood, then apartments starting in college and until 2003 (when I was 44), and most were a nightmare in terms of noise. I simply could not take that again.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 AM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I would consider renting in retirement IF there were such a thing as a completely soundproof apartment building, where even if the neighbor next door is blasting his stereo, I wouldn't hear a thing. Alas, I'm not sure those exist.

One of the joys of living in my current house (on 1.29 acres) is the peace and quiet. I lived in enlisted military housing my entire childhood, then apartments starting in college and until 2003 (when I was 44), and most were a nightmare in terms of noise. I simply could not take that again.
A building that is of steel and concrete construction is quieter than one of wooden construction. Our building is of steel and concrete construction and while not entirely soundproof, it's still quieter than wooden construction. For example, with wooden construction, someone above you can be walking normally and it will sound like they are stomping around. Steel and concrete is much quieter.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
A building that is of steel and concrete construction is quieter than one of wooden construction. Our building is of steel and concrete construction and while not entirely soundproof, it's still quieter than wooden construction. For example, with wooden construction, someone above you can be walking normally and it will sound like they are stomping around. Steel and concrete is much quieter.
Alas, likely not quiet enough. I simply NEVER want to be forced to listen to someone else's music ever again. (In some of the apartment buildings I lived in, you couldn't hear normal living sounds like walking or talking on the phone, but you could hear someone playing their stereo at even a moderate level. In other buildings, I heard EVERYTHING -- conversations, coughing, TV, music, sex, etc. )

But you do have me curious: you say it's not entirely soundproof, so what CAN you hear?

Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 AM

703 posts, read 612,703 times
Quote:
Alas, likely not quiet enough. I simply NEVER want to be forced to listen to someone else's music ever again.

I have found that I cannot live anywhere and NOT have to listen to other people's noise. Especially bass pulse! I have lived in the country, the city, the 'burbs. Apartments, houses you name it. Even in upscale rural backwoods getaway locations. Rich people from the city own a spread there to escape the city. No appreciation for nature.

I steel and concrete structure would be the best if an apartment/condo type. Having a A LOT of space between houses along with sturdy general construction would be necessary with free standing structures.

Unfortunately construction standards and practices in the U.S. are flimsy cheap and just plain theft as far as I'm concerned. Unless you have megabucks and can build to specification and have a lot of land around your house. (Ted Turner lives on 40,000 acres and I don't think he has to hear any neighbor's bass pulse.) OR actually afford one of those steel and concrete places, you're just trying to get lucky.

It seems like more and more one's own peace and well-being is totally at the mercy of other people's behavior and what the people around you simply do or refrain from doing.

Yes, I know a farmhouse in the country is quiet too but at my age I really don't want that kind of commute

Last edited by fallstaff; 04-14-2019 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I have found that I cannot live anywhere and NOT have to listen to other people's noise. Especially bass pulse! I have lived in the country, the city, the 'burbs. Apartments, houses you name it. Even in upscale rural backwoods getaway locations. Rich people from the city own a spread there to escape the city. No appreciation for nature.

I steel and concrete structure would be the best if an apartment/condo type. Having a A LOT of space between houses along with sturdy general construction would be necessary with free standing structures.

Unfortunately construction standards and practices in the U.S. are flimsy cheap and just plain theft as far as I'm concerned. Unless you have megabucks and can build to specification and have a lot of land around your house. (Ted Turner lives on 40,000 acres and I don't think he has to hear any neighbor's bass pulse.) OR actually afford one of those steel and concrete places, you're just trying to get lucky

Yes, I know a farmhouse in the country is quiet too but at my age I really don't want that kind of commute
My neighborhood is very quiet, but there HAVE been some outdoor parties with music, e.g. birthday parties for kids (I can't imagine ever hearing someone's party that was INSIDE their house). I have never heard the outdoor parties unless I have been outside too -- and of course in that case I would never complain. (I also never complain about things like snow-blowing, leaf-blowing, etc. -- they never last long, whereas music can go on and on and on and on ... )

Aren't music studios soundproof? If I could rent an apartment in retirement that were THAT soundproof, it would probably work. But I will likely stay in my house as it will be paid off. My property taxes will be high (it's NH, land of high property taxes since we don't have a sales or income tax), but not higher than rent in most places would be.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 04-14-2019 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: clarify a point

Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,271 times
Quote:

I hear you on that one! (no pun intended!) Currently in short term rental and can't WAiT to get back into a house of my own again! Silence truly is golden!

Old 04-14-2019, 12:37 PM

57 posts, read 51,715 times
I'm getting ready to do this now. Going down to Florida in July to hopefully find a rental in a safe area. Then it's back to New England to put the house on the market. Crazy property taxes here just started me thinking about where the value is. I hate winter and dislike yard work. For 25% over what I will be paying in property taxes anyway when the next override goes through I can rent in a warm weather state. I will use the rental as home base to explore where I want to live in FL. I'm leaning towards not owning a house again. Maybe a condo.

There was a guy on the Early Retirement web site who described his retired nomad life. He managed to whittle down possessions to the point where moving was not a big deal. Then he just rented in a location until he got bored and moved on. Some of the locations were abroad. I'm not THAT adventurous, but his freedom and flexibility really appealed to me.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
I would consider renting in retirement IF there were such a thing as a completely soundproof apartment building,
I'm with karen...

SILENCE. please! barking / yapping dinky dogs and TV noise drives me postal.

fortunately... ALL my neighbors are retired and our dogs have pre-deceased us. Some 10 acre places, some 80 acre, and 240 acre, so a tad 'separation' is helpful.

LT plan...
Senior co-op or shared equity (taxidermy dogs ONLY)

I'm all for renting with RE equity WORKING WELL for me while I 'retire'.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:53 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Alas, likely not quiet enough. I simply NEVER want to be forced to listen to someone else's music ever again. (In some of the apartment buildings I lived in, you couldn't hear normal living sounds like walking or talking on the phone, but you could hear someone playing their stereo at even a moderate level. In other buildings, I heard EVERYTHING -- conversations, coughing, TV, music, sex, etc. )

But you do have me curious: you say it's not entirely soundproof, so what CAN you hear?
This is what I can hear --- When I'm in the bathroom, I can hear the person above me running their shower. If someone above me drops something on the floor, I can hear it and it's barely audible---that is unless someone drops something incredibly heavy, which is extremely rare.

I don't hear anyone's conversation next door. If someone has the TV or is playing music at a reasonable volume, I don't hear it. Someone would really have to be blasting their TV or music before I could hear it.

Years ago, we lived in an apartment that was all wooden construction. For a while, a family with young kids lived above us. The kids would be running around all day. Not only was it loud but it could make our apartment shake. For a while, we also had a couple upstairs that would have frequent shouting matches, and while we couldn't hear the words, we knew they were arguing.

BTW, if you live in an apartment or condo, there are things you can do to soundproof your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement