Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,058,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
There is absolute no smoking in trains trams or busses. [mod cut - personal attack]
Even on the platforms it is no smoking.
The data appears to backup my recent experiences in the two of the three countries we visited are in the top 10 at 2 (Luxembourg) and 6 (Belgium) for smoking. According to the graph, the Netherlands isn’t too far behind. The US, at around 1250 cigarettes per person, is in the middle of the pack.

Original source of data.

I await your apology for the childish name calling.... but am not holding my breath for it...or for smokers.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-20-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 01:02 PM

178 posts, read 124,264 times
I volunteer in our International airport with Travelers Assistance. Our airport is entirely smoke free and the only smoking option for travelers on a layover is to leave the airport, then come back through security for their next flight.

Whenever a flight arrives from Japan or France, a handful of their passengers head to my booth to ask where they can smoke.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:07 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
The data appears to backup my recent experiences in the two of the three countries we visited are in the top 10 at 2 (Luxembourg) and 6 (Belgium) for smoking. According to the graph, the Netherlands isn’t too far behind. The US, at around 1250 cigarettes per person, is in the middle of the pack.

Original source of data.

I await your apology for the childish name calling.... but am not holding my breath for it...or for smokers.

With all due respect, your original post implied that smoking was permitted in all those modes of transportation you mentioned. If that was not the case, why even mention how you got around?

Old 04-21-2019, 05:03 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,155,879 times
What I don't get....

Smoking tobacco = Bad. Need laws to restrict.

Smoking Pot = Not Bad. Need laws to make it OK.

Yes I know no one smokes Pot as much as Tobacco but they tend to hold the smoke in their lungs longer plus there are no telling the chemicals that have been sprayed on the pot.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:33 AM

178 posts, read 124,264 times
I live in a condo where, when I moved in, smoking was prohibited in common areas. Last year, smoking was also prohibited on balconies. This year, it has become an entirely smoke-free building. Smokers buying before this change in regs was made are not grandfathered in.

I’m curious to find out how this will be enforced and what will happen if the board suspects that someone continues to smoke in their unit.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What I don't get....

Smoking tobacco = Bad. Need laws to restrict.

Smoking Pot = Not Bad. Need laws to make it OK.

Yes I know no one smokes Pot as much as Tobacco but they tend to hold the smoke in their lungs longer plus there are no telling the chemicals that have been sprayed on the pot.
Most people don't chain smoke pot. They won't sit in a restaurant and blow it into surrounding tables. They can't run outside for break at work and smoke a quick one then come back in reeking of pot smoke or they will be fired. Pretty sure it will still be illegal to smoke it in public or while driving, and illegal to DWI. So people will be smoking pot at home, or at a friend's house who smokes it.

Actually, I don't think half the users will smoke it at all. They will use it in gummies or tabs for a sleep aid or other medicinal purpose. There are no medicinal uses for tobacco AFAIK.

I don't live in a state that allows it. I'm sure someone who does can tell us what the laws are about where you can smoke it.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
As a smoker who lived in a building where you had to be x number of feet from the building, I always obeyed.

Smoking is smelly and would be discernible from outside the unit. Smoking on a balcony would be visible. I think if it is understood that you would be evicted if you were 'caught', people would pay attention.

In my old building, three people were evicted when the ban came into effect and they weren't compliant. I am not certain as it has been many years since I smoked inside a building but I believe you can smell it from just outside the door.

This ban had actually helped me in my quest to quit. I cut back to half a pack when I moved into my old building. It's much easier for me to cut back now, even though we are allowed to smoke outside the apartment.

I'm not positive but I think my neighbors in my old building would have informed management if they had smelled cigarette smoke from my apartment. Where I am now, they do periodic walk throughs. Cigarette smoke/smell is very difficult to get rid of and I am sure they would be able to discern during the walk throughs if someone was smoking in the unit.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:46 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
My mom worked at a doctor's office building, it had maybe 30 doctors with all kinds of specialties. She started working there around 1977 and not only did the people in the waiting room smoke... some of the doctors and nurses smoked in the building! Mom would come home smelling like cigarette smoke and antiseptics and her rose hand cream.

They banned smoking in the building sometime in the early 1980's but a ghost of the smoke smell never left the place, even after they completely renovated the building and replaced all the carpet and furniture. She still came home smelling like smoke, antiseptics, and roses until she quit in 2001.

I work in health care, and for whatever reason, I think healthcare has a larger percentage of smokers than other occupations. A LOT of nurses smoke. When I did my one of my clinicals at a local hospital years back, the head of the Respiratory Therapy department smoked!

On my first flight, I sat in smoking and my bff sat in non-smoking....I was row 18 and she was row 19, lol.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:05 AM

5,423 posts, read 3,480,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I've had friends and family die from COPD and cancer from smoking. ...They don't see that as a problem?.... or they don't think that smoking is what got them there in the first place...
I have a gf that has lung cancer and still smokes. She's had chemo a bunch of times but thinks that something other than cigarettes has caused her cancer.

I used to smoke 2 packs a day for many years, I quit in 2006. I have probably done damage to my health, I often worry that I have some form of cancer. When I was smoking, I used to complain about people eating unhealthy foods, car/bus fumes, etc... anything to try to get the emphasis off of cigarette smoke. I'm happy I quit and don't care that others smoke, but it really does stink! I can walk by a car in a parking lot and know that the people who own the car smoke, even if they aren't in it. If a smoker walks by me in a store, I can tell that they are a smoker. I'm embarrassed that I used to smell like that and didn't know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
If i did it for 10 whole years, im sure i can again.

Until then pardon my smoke....
Just curious, what made you start smoking again after being quit for 10 years?

Old 04-21-2019, 10:24 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I work in health care, and for whatever reason, I think healthcare has a larger percentage of smokers than other occupations. A LOT of nurses smoke. When I did my one of my clinicals at a local hospital years back, the head of the Respiratory Therapy department smoked!
When I was in college the School of Nursing always had a pall of smoke over the building from all the nursing students who smoked. The people who should know the best were the heaviest smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement