Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:05 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times

Advertisements

Reading through these I'm reminded of our Presidents' word choice lamenting the origination countries of-at least in his mind- too many wannabe immigrants.

Don't know though, haven't been to any of them so can't say. There may be some real gems in there-but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,274 times
They are low in price for a reason....no medical care; dying or dead downtowns; no places to work except the local muffler or tire shop, and convenience/ gas stations; poor schools; no shopping; no services; or in the case of Flint- no potable water; and everything is a million miles away and feels even farther when you are a senior.

Expensive areas are expensive for a reason....the trick is to find one that you can live with, somewhere in the middle with the services you need.

If you are retired- employment opportunities may not be important but medical care and doctors may be, along with nearby shopping or restaurants.

If you no longer drive (or do very little), then having everything you need close by or in walking distance is more important, as would be public transportation.

If you are in your 30s and have kids, then you want good schools and playgrounds/ parks, and a good doctor and ER for sports injuries, broken bones, and such, even if you need to drive to shop.

If you are in your 20s and have no kids, you can live anywhere, as long there are mountains of employment opportunities that pay well.

We are lucky in the sense that Americans do move a lot. We have our starter homes, then family homes, and then usually our smaller retirement homes, and we can move from urban, to suburban or rural, and then back to urban again.

Usually we can follow other family or follow jobs...or even homeschool and chuck it all to see America, or the world, by RV or boat sailing around the world. Why limit yourself to a 1-horse town, just because it may be cheap?

Old 04-19-2019, 09:20 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would rather live in the car .....just sayin ...

Me too and I'm 66 yrs old....

Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
I haven't even looked at the places on the list, but I'd say the trick is to find someplace that has potential, but retirees, etc. haven't flocked to yet in droves and driven up the price of housing. Some place with a good hospital, things to do, low crime, etc.....maybe no Starbucks or Whole Foods (yet). Heck, even Cleveland is gentrifying in places! Hoping to find that mythical location soon!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Given that population demographics are a pretty good indicator of violent crime rates, most retirees would have to be crazy to relocate to some of those towns. They have cheap housing for a reason.
A housing issue my Retiree Relocation spreadsheet indicated very clearly was the future equity risk of LCOL RE investments. You may think these places are a bargain today (to buy into), but when it comes to reselling and you are stuck for 10 - 20 yrs waiting for a buyer... You might want to consider this current capital as SUNK costs. You may never recover your equity in your lifetime, if ever.

OTOH... if you choose a stable / desirable location to invest in RE, you could see 5 - 15% annual equity gains.

If heading to Cheapsville, I would NOT bring my RE $. Keep them working where RE is a good investment, not a BAD investment. Then there is the QoL thing... Not pleasant seeing your neighbors and shop keepers going broke and trying to hold it all together. Walmart / bigbox / internet entered these rural locations where my family had generations of stable businesses. All went broke 'trying to sell or stay alive'. The RE is now thrift stores and rents are considered a 'charitable donation'. This erosion will also happen to residential RE $.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:54 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I haven't even looked at the places on the list, but I'd say the trick is to find someplace that has potential, but retirees, etc. haven't flocked to yet in droves and driven up the price of housing. Some place with a good hospital, things to do, low crime, etc.....maybe no Starbucks or Whole Foods (yet). Heck, even Cleveland is gentrifying in places! Hoping to find that mythical location soon!

I have a friend who retired to Cleveland and loves it there. She didn't buy a place for under $30K though. She didn't buy an expensive house, either. She bought a small 1-BR apartment on Hampshire Road for about $40K. It was the rock bottom lowest priced place she could find that seemed acceptable. It's tiny, very old, needed some minor work, and didn't have new appliances, but her neighborhood was decent and she likes living there. I think Cleveland has a lot to offer retirees who need an inexpensive city.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I have a friend who retired to Cleveland and loves it there. She didn't buy a place for under $30K though. She didn't buy an expensive house, either. She bought a small 1-BR apartment on Hampshire Road for about $40K. It was the rock bottom lowest priced place she could find that seemed acceptable. It's tiny, very old, needed some minor work, and didn't have new appliances, but her neighborhood was decent and she likes living there. I think Cleveland has a lot to offer retirees who need an inexpensive city.
Agreed, but I'm not sure how long it's going to be inexpensive! The only negative here really is the winter weather and we moved here in December and it hasn't been that bad. Only snowed a couple of times. I had been looking for a house by Columbus or Cincinnati and all I can say is those markets are hot! I posted on another thread that by the time I called the agent, a day after the house went on the market, it was already under contract! Things are heating up here, as well. Cleveland has great cultural amenities, sports teams, breweries, theater, etc.....and lower housing prices than some places....it does have a lot going for it.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Maybe one of the SC or Tennessee cities could be revived, or any of the towns without environmental or extreme weather hazards. A like minded group of retirees, going together to develop an intentional community(Such as an art colony, music colony, back to nature subsistence community.), could totally turn a community around. Kind of like senior pioneers. Of course home values and property values would go up.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:45 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Here in our small town in Montana, building lots go for $70, and up.
Salton Sea, CA, building lots for $7,000. Right along I-10.

Almost waterfront!

Most of those places looked kinda depressing, except that lake picture in KY. The linked article on how much it cost to retire in FL, was more interesting.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would rather live in the car .....just sayin ...
So, in Queens, do you have Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Costco? Or do you NYC residents somehow survive without?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement