Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 03:59 AM

305 posts, read 241,100 times

Advertisements

All these articles on Social security sometimes it is hard to figure out who to believe. Well I am 61 and I am taking my benefits at 62, I know I could get more if I wait, but the way things are changing there is a good chance some young politician will change things so I will not get as much because they change the rules or something.

Being a babyboomer I am used to get lied to by the government. They promise you everything and never deliver, or we find out years later that they have been lying to us the entire time.

So in 6 months I start getting my checks, I am already retired living on pension and my savings. So the ss will be a nice shot in the arm. I am afraid I do not trust the gov. anymore. I am not sure I ever did but I know I do not trust them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 01:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
All these articles on Social security sometimes it is hard to figure out who to believe. Well I am 61 and I am taking my benefits at 62, I know I could get more if I wait, but the way things are changing there is a good chance some young politician will change things so I will not get as much because they change the rules or something.
[mod cut - personal attack]

Nothing is going to change in the next 5 years. You can wait until you're at or near full-retirement age.

Benefits will never be reduced. They might be increased, but never reduced.

Congress has a penchant for waiting until the last second to resolve issues, just like they waited until the last second in 1983 to bail out Social Security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Here is one example:

For those who don’t want to follow the link below is the verbatim

“Pregnant women in Rhode Island are eligible for Medicaid (from an immigration status perspective) regardless of their immigration status. Even undocumented pregnant women can get Medicaid in Rhode Island.”
Not relevant.

That's Medicaid, not Medicare.

If you don't understand the different between the two programs --and there is a huge difference between the two programs-- one is federally funded while the other is a joint State/federal venture, you probably need to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There are loads of moms who work and have kids ....
And psychology says kids who spend more time with their mothers are far better off and more well adjusted than kids crow-barred into various day-care centers.

Nature & Nurture are what they are.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-24-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 01:45 PM

106,547 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
[mod cut - personal attack]

Nothing is going to change in the next 5 years. You can wait until you're at or near full-retirement age.

Benefits will never be reduced. They might be increased, but never reduced.

Congress has a penchant for waiting until the last second to resolve issues, just like they waited until the last second in 1983 to bail out Social Security.

Not relevant.

That's Medicaid, not Medicare.

If you don't understand the different between the two programs --and there is a huge difference between the two programs-- one is federally funded while the other is a joint State/federal venture, you probably need to learn.

And psychology says kids who spend more time with their mothers are far better off and more well adjusted than kids crow-barred into various day-care centers.

Not anymore , the good day cares are seeing those kids who don’t partake behind in their skills...... I was against day care growing up believing my own bull , it but after seeing the results it has onall the kids including my grand kids I think it hinders the kids by not going..

My daughter is a preschool teacher and even with her skill set at home she is limited day in and day out compared to what those kids in decent day cares are exposed to .....once the kids were in day care all their skills including social skills had big jumps in improvements

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-24-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 01:55 PM

587 posts, read 442,842 times
Mathjak107 - I generally agree with most of what you say, but my daughter is a kindergarten teacher and this year she has the opposite. The two smartest kids in her class (they came in already reading) did not attend any daycare or preschool and were home with their moms. She has a couple of kids that the parents said they had them in preschool since they were 2 and are not as well equipped in the classroom this year.

My daughter says that as long as mom and dad read to little ones everyday and take them to parks and other places to expose them to children their age that preschool is not a necessity. If parents spend all their time on phones and computers and don't interact with their children then they definitely need preschool!

Old 04-24-2019, 01:59 PM

106,547 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
Mathjak107 - I generally agree with most of what you say, but my daughter is a kindergarten teacher and this year she has the opposite. The two smartest kids in her class (they came in already reading) did not attend any daycare or preschool and were home with their moms. She has a couple of kids that the parents said they had them in preschool since they were 2 and are not as well equipped in the classroom this year.

My daughter says that as long as mom and dad read to little ones everyday and take them to parks and other places to expose them to children their age that preschool is not a necessity. If parents spend all their time on phones and computers and don't interact with their children then they definitely need preschool!
Today moms give these little ones iPads to play with and they are the new baby sitters . I will bet most kids get little actual interaction on a daily basis from a skill set point of view..... I am blown away by what these kids coming from daycare know and can do for their ages ..... many come out of day care with kindergarten and first grade skills around these parts

Old 04-24-2019, 02:00 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,772,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Not all daycares are the same, just as not all parents are the same, as are the kids. A kid down the street from me who was breastfed until 3 and homeschooled was just recently convicted and registered as a sex offender. I have a neighbor who was a refugee who grew up in institutions is now a well-respected judge.

That is the true meaning of Nature vs. Nurture, that one's genetics can overcome environmental factors.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:06 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,772,958 times
Quote:

As a scientist, I'm just amazed at the anecdotal data folks are presenting these days as factual. Doesn't surprise me though, most people gloss over when I start talking about statistically meaningful dataset.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,746,920 times
Quote:
Not anymore , the good day cares are seeing those kids who don’t partake behind in their skills...... I was against day care growing up believing my own bull , it but after seeing the results it has onall the kids including my grand kids I think it hinders the kids by not going..

My daughter is a preschool teacher and even with her skill set at home she is limited day in and day out compared to what those kids in decent day cares are exposed to .....once the kids were in day care all their skills including social skills had big jumps in improvements
My SIL and my MIL were very much against putting kids in day care. Luckily my husband has always liked and supported a working wife. While my SIL was staying at home after she had kids, she did zero toward nurturing them, she said she never even read to them. She was never a cook even, just buy ready made meals and served them. One even turned on using drugs during his teen years, right under her nose, and even threaten to kill people during one of his rage, he is fine now. I think they turned out fine regardless of what their mother did to them.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,746,920 times
Quote:

My youngest could barely count to 100 at the end of kindergarten while other kids were already taught 6th grade math. She was reading at the bottom 5%, I know because I volunteered at her classroom often. Fast forward, she graduated in the top 1% in high school as well as had top 1% in SAT and was rewarded Regents scholarship at several UCs. I never believe in pushy parents being successfully in the end, hence I never did it.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:50 PM

102,179 posts, read 107,754,292 times
Quote:
Nonsense ..... it is click bait ... like everything else it will be dealt with and solved in the eleventh hour ... they find billions in a heart beat to fund wars ,police actions and walls .
This news was in the NY Times yesterday. The Times article pointed out, that if resolving the shortfall is put off to the 11th hour, fewer options for solving it will be available. It should be dealt with in a timely manner. The public should demand that these crucial programs are put on a more stable footing, and that Congress act now, instead of dithering about impeachment, and other non-productive issues.
The wars, btw, were funded by debt. SS will begin accruing debt as of 2020, if I recall correctly from the article.

Not a good way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement