Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 11:53 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times

Advertisements

As a pre-schooler, Super Circus. Early teens, it was Mickey Mouse Club and American Bandstand.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Combat! (Thank goodness technology allows me to have all seasons on DVD)
Lost In Space
The Time Tunnel
F Troop
Rat Patrol (one of the "oldies" channels still shows this and I can see there was too much fraternization with the Germans)
The Adventures of Superman (I only saw the reruns as a kid)
Hawaii 5-0
The Hollywood Palace
Bewitched
All In The Family (but I found Gloria more annoying than Edith)
Branded
The Rifleman
The Lone Ranger

Old 04-29-2019, 12:15 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,628 times
Knight Rider

Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Combat! (Thank goodness technology allows me to have all seasons on DVD)
Lost In Space
The Time Tunnel
F Troop
Rat Patrol (one of the "oldies" channels still shows this and I can see there was too much fraternization with the Germans)
The Adventures of Superman (I only saw the reruns as a kid)
Hawaii 5-0
The Hollywood Palace
Bewitched
All In The Family (but I found Gloria more annoying than Edith)
Branded
The Rifleman
The Lone Ranger
The Time Tunnel! Forgot about that one, but I loved it.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:17 PM

Anyone remember Romper Room? That was from my real "little kiddy" days.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:27 PM

55 posts, read 29,654 times
I do remember Romper Room, but I don't remember ever watching it.

I think that most of my favorites have already been mentioned. There were some (I think) Philadelphia specific ones that I used to like as well:

Sally Starr
Gene London

Was Speed Racer mentioned? That was one of my brother's favorites.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:50 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Anyone remember Windy-Dink and Me from the late Fifties? It was the first instance of interactive TV I can remember. You had to buy a kit. (Sounds like today!) The kit had a plastic screen you stuck to the TV screen, an eraser and a drawing tool.

When Winky got into a tight spot you "helped" him by drawing a bridge to the next road or whatever he needed to solve his problem.

I loved that Saturday morning program. Remember Dad was hesitant about allowing it for fear that the screen would damage our new TV.

I really envy folks with good memories who can recall these details. Pretty early on in life I began to realize that I couldn't recall many of the things that my friends remembered with ease. Killed me during a lot of trivia discussions in my teens & 20's! OTOH there are minute details of a few things that I took an obsessive interest in 50+ years ago, say music groups, that I am only now starting to lose focus on, like being able to name all of the members of Manfred Mann ( I just now recalled 4 out of 5) despite not owning their records etc.

I did indeed have the screen & drew on it as instructed but I would never have recalled that the show was called Winky-Dink, even after hearing that name mentioned way back as a teen I never made the connection. I do remember "helping out" (Winky?) by drawing directly on our tv screen with my crayons & not using the "magic screen" to the displeasure of my Dad.

I do remember Romper Room from this same period but couldn't tell you the name of the host/teacher, Miss ? I wonder if this was a national show or a franchise with different local hosts appearing in each tv market? Like Bozo.
Same period was Shari Lewis & Lambchop & Howdy Doody. Of course Hopalong Cassidy & Roy Rogers were my heroes.

I also remember a Saturday morning show hosted by the actor Andy Devine who had a mischievous Froggy who appeared & disappeared in a puff of smoke after aggravating poor Andy.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:51 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Anyone remember Windy-Dink and Me from the late Fifties? It was the first instance of interactive TV I can remember. You had to buy a kit. (Sounds like today!) The kit had a plastic screen you stuck to the TV screen, an eraser and a drawing tool.

When Winky got into a tight spot you "helped" him by drawing a bridge to the next road or whatever he needed to solve his problem.
I remember Winky-Dink and Me-Winky-Dink and You. I had one of those plastic screens. But, my never stick to the t.v. Such a deprived child I was. lol.

Quote:
I'd also forgotten "Our Gang" and "The little Rascals." The best. And a good example of kids from different backgrounds, racial and economic, playing together with little interest in such adult sensibilities. It really is ironic that they are considered off limits today. Lots of good lessons there.
Little Rascals were classic. Of course we watched them.

Cat

Old 04-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I really envy folks with good memories who can recall these details. Pretty early on in life I began to realize that I couldn't recall many of the things that my friends remembered with ease. Killed me during a lot of trivia discussions in my teens & 20's! OTOH there are minute details of a few things that I took an obsessive interest in 50+ years ago, say music groups, that I am only now starting to lose focus on, like being able to name all of the members of Manfred Mann ( I just now recalled 4 out of 5) despite not owning their records etc.

I did indeed have the screen & drew on it as instructed but I would never have recalled that the show was called Winky-Dink, even after hearing that name mentioned way back as a teen I never made the connection. I do remember "helping out" (Winky?) by drawing directly on our tv screen with my crayons & not using the "magic screen" to the displeasure of my Dad.

I do remember Romper Room from this same period but couldn't tell you the name of the host/teacher, Miss ? I wonder if this was a national show or a franchise with different local hosts appearing in each tv market?
Same period was Shari Lewis & Lambchop & Howdy Doody. Of course Hopalong Cassidy & Roy Rogers were my heroes.

I also remember a Saturday morning show hosted by the actor Andy Devine who had a mischievous Froggy who appeared & disappeared in a puff of smoke after aggravating poor Andy.
I think Romper Room teacher was "Miss Nancy."

Who liked....Felix the Cat.....the magical, magical cat.....?

And, who remembers the commercial with the kid demanding "I WANT MY MAYPO"!!

Old 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:

LOL my parents were so afraid to let us watch that. They thought for sure we'd draw right on the tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement