Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 04:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Here is the story of Super Mario, the man who lives on Royal Caribbean ships:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...a+cruise+ship+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 05:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I've heard that being on a cruise ship is like being held prisoner at a Golden Corral with a bunch of drunk people. Not exactly how I want to spend my retirement!
I enjoy cruising, though I have never taken one longer than 12 days. I find being on the water incredibly relaxing and soothing. I don't at all feel as though I am being held prisoner.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Maybe I can do belly dancing on a cruise ship.

Post a pic and we'll decide if that is a viable plan

Old 04-29-2019, 05:46 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753
Being retired Navy, this has no appeal to me whatsoever.
MY DW and I are both retired Navy, cruises are VERY different from a Navy ship. We did about 1 a year after left Navy but before retired completely. Now that we are retired, probably do a couple a year. Cruises are a great way to visit a few places without having to pack every day but I am not sure I would live aboard even semi-permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau
I've heard that being on a cruise ship is like being held prisoner at a Golden Corral with a bunch of drunk people. Not exactly how I want to spend my retirement!
On a cruise, your best bet is the main dining room for most meals, the buffet is mainly for kids, first time cruisers and the occasional lunch or snack. In the dining room on most cruises, you can order as many items as you want. You want 3 shrimp cocktails & 2 entrees no problem. Also for breakfast, they often have steak and eggs, eggs benedict, etc.

Unless on a cheap party cruise, very few drunks and food is way better than Golden Corral, even at the buffet - most ships have higher end clientele.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:58 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I enjoy cruising, though I have never taken one longer than 12 days. I find being on the water incredibly relaxing and soothing. I don't at all feel as though I am being held prisoner.
If money were no object, I've love to take a month long cruise every winter. There is something about being out on the water, away from the land, walking all around the ship, sitting and looking out to sea wherever you feel like it.

Then there's breakfast in bed, lunch at the buffet, and dinner. So that means no cooking and no clean up. I'm not a big eater so the buffet food is fine for lunch. The one cruise I went on had very little drinking but there was always something to do if you wanted something to do. Mostly I never even got off the ship because we were not on the cruise to see some cruise company owned beach in the Caribbean. I just enjoyed getting away, being on the sea, clean warm air in the middle of winter. I don't feel like a prisoner at all--I felt really free.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:02 PM

264 posts, read 200,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I haven’t been on a cruise ship yet. Not sure I want to live there in retirement.

I went on two one time....first and last. Everyone working on the boat has their hand out for tips. I suspect they get paid nothing but tips in fact.....might even have to pay the cruise line to 'work'.

We paid extra, got a cabin right at the top with only a sun deck above. 5am, they were dragging lounge chairs across the deck. One day I stepped out in the hall and noticed water pouring out of the ceiling...stepped back in our cabin, told the wife "we may be sinking, but it's sorta odd coming from the top down ". Hot tub above had sprung a leak, water sloshed up down the hall and side to side with the movement of the boat...then under the doors and into rooms.

Dinner was an 'experience'. Dining room at the rear of the boat, right over the engine room apparently. You could talk to the person on either side of you, the rest of the table, forget it....RMMMM...RMMMM...RMMMM of big diesels below your feet made for a great dining experience.

Non-alcoholic beverages were supposed to be included. Apparently sodas fall in another category, for which they charged $2.50 + tip (and this was 20-25yrs ago). Explains WHY I saw folks in line to board with a 'cube' of 24 Pepsi products strapped to their luggage.

I could go on and on....but bottom line is I find it more enjoyable to simply stay home and fling money in the creek.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:08 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
? There are cruises posted on the Crystal website that are fares starting from <$2200 for a weeklong cruise on the serenity. I don’t know where you are getting $1500 PER DAY unless she was in a suite.
Mama Lee's (Mrs. Lee Wachtstetter, now 90, and a former Registered Nurse) stateroom on the Crystal Serenity is not a suite. It is on the Promenade Deck (Deck 7). There are no suites on that deck. However, there are many facilities on the Promenade Deck, as you can see from the following diagram:

https://images.r.cruisecritic.com/sh...b9daff2771.png

Here's an update to her story from two months ago. Since the story is in German, you may need to use Google translate:

https://www.welt.de/reise/Fern/artic...hoher-See.html

Using translate.google.com. (into English):

https://translate.google.com/transla...hoher-See.html

There are at least two other people who live full-time on the Serenity.

The World (Residensea), the apartment ship, is also mentioned in the article.

An older ABC News article from 2015 is very detailed, with photos. It's at the following link:

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/86-yea...ry?id=28351886

We have cruised before, including on Crystal, but I have no interest in full-time cruising or even semi-frequent cruising, which we did in our 30's.

If I were interested in full-time cruising, even for part of the year, I would never choose a residential ship like The World. I have read stories about how there is very little social interaction onboard, and that most of the inhabitants choose to stay in their own residences and the rest of the ship can be like a ghost town.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Just how many bouts of Norovirus do you want to experience during retirement?

Old 04-29-2019, 07:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I suppose that is a reference to some movie.

Care to enlighten us?

I think he meant to say "navel academy" as qualification to belly dance on a cruise ship. Not sure but I think this pun is what he intended.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
It's becoming clear to me why cruises are fun places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement