Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times

Advertisements

Here is a blurb from Lance Oppenheim, the filmmaker that followed super Mario around:
"The Mario we followed was not living the fantastical dream life of a “cruising king,” as I’d seen him described. The Mario we found lives a life full of paradoxes: while he proclaims his independence from others, he surrounds himself with throngs of anonymous tourists, shaking hands and selling his lifestyle. I was determined to crack through what I perceived to be a facade. But as I floated dreamily across a sea of professional smiles with Mario, I realized that his facade had taken on a reality of its own, that his ongoing voyages to nowhere — and everywhere — provided an overwhelming sense of freedom perhaps not found on land. It is in that freedom that Mario has finally found his home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 09:46 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
I think your weight could easily double if you’re not careful.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We go on some of the longer cruises as well as some of the shorter ones and there's a huge difference in clientele between one and the other. Itinerary, cruise line, ship, time of year, length of cruise, all have an impact on who's going to be on the ship with you.

I'd not mind retiring on a cruise ship if I could have a couple dozen of my friends retire with me. It takes awhile to get past the "hi, my name is XXX, where are you from". Very superficial relationships on a cruise unless you bring family or friends with you.

We generally eat in the main dining room when ever possible to stay away from the buffet. Fortunately, the portions are small so even when we do get extras, it's not too much.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:42 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Mathjac - if you would allow me to wordsmith your joke:

'She would have to attend the Navel Academy.'
Forgive me but as ex maritime service and actually BEING a belly dancer.......as I give an intense look of disapproval.

Although I must admit that when I was doing military police work and dancing in a troupe, I related it to being like Mata Hari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
But seriously, folks...

Here in Fort Lauderdale we have the two largest cruise ships in the world (Oasis and sister Allure).

When I see those mega behemoths leaving Port Everglades, I often think how they can stay upright as they look so top heavy like they are going to keel over. And with over 6,000 people on-board, more than a Nimitz-class carrier, it is truly a floating city. It's like they took one of the high-rise hotels on the beach and floated it out in the ocean!

Not my cup of tea.

An interesting cruise to me is on a sailboat though the little islands of the Caribbean where everyone on-board helps (and gets wet!)
A sailboat for me would be much, much too small.....though I suppose there would be a difference between little islands and open ocean. I've read "The Dove". Like I said, now, the only kind of cruise I want to be on is an oceanographic one as part of the science crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Here is a blurb from Lance Oppenheim, the filmmaker that followed super Mario around:
"The Mario we followed was not living the fantastical dream life of a “cruising king,” as I’d seen him described. The Mario we found lives a life full of paradoxes: while he proclaims his independence from others, he surrounds himself with throngs of anonymous tourists, shaking hands and selling his lifestyle. I was determined to crack through what I perceived to be a facade. But as I floated dreamily across a sea of professional smiles with Mario, I realized that his facade had taken on a reality of its own, that his ongoing voyages to nowhere — and everywhere — provided an overwhelming sense of freedom perhaps not found on land. It is in that freedom that Mario has finally found his home."
This strikes me as the story, in print and film, "A Man Without a Country",

Old 04-30-2019, 04:46 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Well.. I started to say something smart about retiring on those Nude Cruises which there are quite a few.

https://castawaystravel.com/nude-cruises/

But then I realized Senior Nude Cruises might not be as much fun as when we were 32.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:25 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I've heard that being on a cruise ship is like being held prisoner at a Golden Corral with a bunch of drunk people. Not exactly how I want to spend my retirement!
lol, spoken like someone who has never been on a cruise ship and uses that line to justify it. now I haven't been on every cruise line but the ships I've been on are nothing like Golden Corral.

Anyhoo, I was on the Oasis of the Seas two summers ago and meet a women from knoxville Tenns who spends about 10 months on Royal Caribbean ships. we struck up a conversation because my maternal grandmother was from Knoxville.

Her and her husband loved to cruise, it was their passion. when he died she wasn't sure what she wanted to do. her kids were all grown and a lot of her friends were dying off. (her words). anyway according to her, her cost are no more than if she were not a lot more than what she would spend on land. She did have to get medical clearance . she has a "crew" that she loves and basically follows them. She goes "home" for about 10 days every 3 months or so and pays for her kids and Grandkids to vacation with her once a year.

She loves it.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The last paragraph is my sentiment. My OH wants desperately to go on a cruise, why exactly i don't know. I dont think my OH has a rational idea either.

I really dont want to be on a top heavy liner with 5000 of my not so close new friends in confined quarters. No thanks.

Also i have trouble walking ( so does my OH) and i dont want a 6,000 step walk along the promenade deck back to my room after eating.

I have agreed, eventually, to maybe a river cruise. Only not during flooding time!!! Dont want to be on a river thats rising due to flooding.

We'll see.

The amount of things we'd like to do vs what we can walk vs having the money to expend on "great adventures " are three very different variables.

Again, we'll see...

As stated previously, if you don't want to go on a mega-liner with 5,000 passengers, there's no need for you to do so. You can pick a ship with as many or as few passengers as you desire. The same goes for the size of the ship.

Some people just don't like the idea of cruising and that's fine. But to simply say that you don't want to go on a cruise because you don't want to be on a large ship with thousands of people makes no sense because that's not your only choice.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
No to a cruise ship.

This is the way to do it if you've got the millions to do so...
https://aboardtheworld.com/

If I won a big lotto, I'd look really hard at something like this.
Everyone on the ship is already rich and since you're always on the move it would really hard for people to pester you for money.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-30-2019 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 11:10 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I've heard that being on a cruise ship is like being held prisoner at a Golden Corral with a bunch of drunk people. Not exactly how I want to spend my retirement!
It depends on the cruise. Carnival in my opinion, especially shorter cruises, do tend to be an eat and drink affair. Longer cruises it is more about the ports or call. I have been on 2 Mediterranean cruises and am about to take my 3rd. Many of the ships now have a variety of dining options, plus if you are in port you can enjoy local places as well. My favorite line is Royal Caribbean, I did one on NCL in Hawaii that was better than Carnival but not as good as Royal. If you do choose cruising look for one that doesn't have too many sea days (1 on a 7 day is good) and some enjoyable ports. I can take it or leave the Caribbean. You see one island you have seen them all but Europe, those are great for sampling the different countries.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:21 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
If you shop around and do more of the "last minute" cruises, you can usually find an inside or oceanview cabin for about $100 /day, per person. Now that's not going to include alcohol or the upcharge restaurants, but it's pretty darned affordable. Unless you do it full time though, you're still going to be paying for a home or apartment on shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement