Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 03:41 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I cannot imagine giving up an opportunity to live by Laguna Beach, especially as a senior - if given that opportunity and that opportunity is easy in reach like for the OP.

If one doesn't want to drive, one can make sure to choose a dwelling that has county/city dial-a-ride for seniors or other senior van transit.
Also, they are just a short drive away from Newport Beach, Dana Point (The harbor there seems to attract a lot of seniors), and San Clemente.

Additionally, this general area has tons of parks.

Laguna Woods also has its own golf courses (for those so inclined), large retail outlets and big box stores, and is situated right across the street from a major medical center.

What's more, they seem to have transit well-covered. If they lack in any area, people can call the county ride share a day in advance to schedule a trip:
https://www.octa.net/Getting-Around/...vice/Overview/

But, to each his/her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 04:39 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,948 times
Where I live we don't need heat or A/C (do not even have it), no bugs (so no need for screens),windows are open most of the year, about an inch of rain, we do get fog as we live on the Pacific coast.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:58 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Also, they are just a short drive away from Newport Beach, Dana Point (The harbor there seems to attract a lot of seniors), and San Clemente.

Additionally, this general area has tons of parks.

Laguna Woods also has its own golf courses (for those so inclined), large retail outlets and big box stores, and is situated right across the street from a major medical center.

What's more, they seem to have transit well-covered. If they lack in any area, people can call the county ride share a day in advance to schedule a trip:
https://www.octa.net/Getting-Around/...vice/Overview/

But, to each his/her own.
Lots of restaurants too. Lake Forest, and Laguna Hills. Best yet, my acupuncture’s in Lake Forest, she’s very good and cheaper than anyone else I’ve found so far.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:08 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Lots of restaurants too. Lake Forest, and Laguna Hills. Best yet, my acupuncture’s in Lake Forest, she’s very good and cheaper than anyone else I’ve found so far.
IMO, the area has more than any one person or couple could ever make use of. I think you could eat at a different restaurant every month for 20 years and never repeat eating at the same place.
Of course, all these great things and mild climate is why it costs more than the vast majority of people can afford.
My mom lives with my brother and family in my brothers house. That's how she can afford it, LOL.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
May-gray flowed by June-gloom. Happens every year.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:16 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
May-gray flowed by June-gloom. Happens every year.
You pray for the June gloom when it's 100 degrees just a few miles away without it

Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
I'm in Laguna Woods about twice a week to shop at Mother's Market & Kitchen (Luv their Garlic Kale & Tahini Salad) on Paseo De Valencia, and it's always noticeably warmer than neighboring Aliso Viejo.

In fact, since my dog likes to go on these trips with me, I try to time it so that it's not too hot outside for me to leave her in the car while I shop.

Unfortunately, I'm sometimes fooled and see a dramatic rise in temperature once I actually arrive at the store.

Everybody is different, but I never think of Laguna Woods as having a cool climate.
That's funny, I met the realtor at Mother's Market when I was there, went in to buy lunch later and a lady in line was mentioning the Tahini Salad. Yes, I've been in Laguna Woods in October when it was hotter than h*ll but that was during an unseasonable hot spell. Anyway, today after sunset it's in the 50s there and that's how it's been since my visit.

BTW, I'm not critiquing Southern California's weather as Lord knows it's near-perfect, my point was that sometimes things change that affect your dream, things you never even thought about.

Nah, Riverside County is not where I would want to be.

Oh, coincidentally enough, we DID go out to the desert (Rancho Mirage) on my trip. Yes, FINALLY I was warm! But I'm not a desert person, I love being around water -- oceans or Gulf.

I might try to rent for a few summer months in LW.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Just an aside (far aside? ), maybe it takes a while to acclimate to South Orange County coming from Florida, but don't forget that it's not uncommon for people to wear sweaters here whenever it's cool.

This is great:
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/9140...digan%20hoodie
When I moved there from Philly in 1999, I was wondering why everyone seemed to have a sweater tied around their necks. I thought they looked kind of silly or preppy. Then I realized, you can't go out at night sleeveless like you can back home!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Find out if you can add a heat pump. Maybe call the HOA office to be sure but since it is a first floor apartment that shouldn't be disruptive. Mini splits can be very efficient and don't need duct work. Depending on your floor plan you could install a one unit mini split in the great room and just bump up the heat in the BR with a radiator type heater at night.
Thanks...yes, I believe that when I was there, we saw a unit that had an AC unit outside, perhaps it was a heat pump too like I have here in FL. My point, though, was that I don't want to be in a place where I have to run the heat that often. And while others in OC may be fine with no heat, I get chilled to the bone.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
That's funny, I met the realtor at Mother's Market when I was there, went in to buy lunch later and a lady in line was mentioning the Tahini Salad. Yes, I've been in Laguna Woods in October when it was hotter than h*ll but that was during an unseasonable hot spell. Anyway, today after sunset it's in the 50s there and that's how it's been since my visit.

BTW, I'm not critiquing Southern California's weather as Lord knows it's near-perfect, my point was that sometimes things change that affect your dream, things you never even thought about.

Nah, Riverside County is not where I would want to be.

Oh, coincidentally enough, we DID go out to the desert (Rancho Mirage) on my trip. Yes, FINALLY I was warm! But I'm not a desert person, I love being around water -- oceans or Gulf.

I might try to rent for a few summer months in LW.
Can't beat the Garlic Kale & Tahini Salad! What a coincidence.

Where do you get your weather readings? It's currently 61 in Laguna Woods with a high of 65, and the low should be about 56 degrees tonight. I'm currently reading 61 degrees on my cellphone for nearby Aliso Viejo.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/92637:4:US

The overnight low will be chilly, but I doubt that it will bother most people since they will be asleep (Under an extra blanket if need be, but no heat).

Yes, dreams sometimes change, but not always. Renting in LW to get a real feel for it sounds good because this general area has a lot to offer.

Best of luck wherever you find a suitable place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement