U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 AM

5,123 posts, read 2,313,224 times

Advertisements

I can't read the article; I just get a blank white page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 08:16 AM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Or the thermostat just died. One of the two in our CA house did that recently. They're about 25 years old, nearly as old as you. Nothing lasts forever.

She probably just needs practice using the new one. I sometimes have trouble with hotel thermostats. Some interfaces are intuitive and others...just aren't.
The thermostat was replaced when the internal/external units were replaced within the last couple of years. No, the thermostat is not "nearly as old as me."

The thermostat she had before the heat pumps was replaced had a manual slider for temperature and another for "heat," "cool," and "off." The new one has features for emergency/auxiliary heat, fan settings, etc. It's definitely more complicated and all digital.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:53 AM

7,289 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Quote:
Or the thermostat just died. One of the two in our CA house did that recently. They're about 25 years old, nearly as old as you. Nothing lasts forever.

She probably just needs practice using the new one. I sometimes have trouble with hotel thermostats. Some interfaces are intuitive and others...just aren't.
Some of the hotel thermostats are designed with features that benefit the hotel's energy bill, not you - for instance they have motion and light sensors and shut off when you are sleeping or out of the room or even sitting still in a chair. That isn't a feature that you can control. One of the suggested fixes to the motion detector is to buy a bunch of mylar helium balloons and tie them to the back of the chair. That was from a few years ago, I am sure they are smarter than that now.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 05-10-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 09:06 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,659,178 times
My pet peeve is any device which uses silver lettering on a black background. Audio systems and bed-side clocks are notorious for this. I just can't see the darn lettering to know what each control does!

More maddening is that black lettering on silver/aluminum backgrounds of the exact same devices are manufactured - they just aren't sold in the US.

As far as electronic thermostats, I buy the Honeywell versions with the larger displays!

Last edited by MI-Roger; 05-10-2019 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 AM

7,302 posts, read 4,148,032 times
Quote:
I've done UI (user interface) usability testing for a bunch of SV companies: PayPal, eBay and a handful of others no longer in business.

User interfaces are designed by twenty-somethings. They want theirs to look hip and don't care if that tiny button on the screen is hard for anyone to mouse to or if the text is barely indistinguishable from the background. There's a big push to eliminate text completely and replace it with ambiguous symbols.
Earthlink is going to do that with their latest "upgrade" to their web-based email service. I don't get it. There's nothing wrong with the current design! And you'd think 20-somethings would understand the downfall of a 'symbols-only' approach: SAVE means save, but do they even know what the commonly-used symbol for save is supposed to represent? They've never even seen, much less used, a 3 1/2" floppy disk!

Words, unlike abstract symbols, don't become outdated and don't need to be memorized in order to understand the function they control. I can read SAVE and know that hitting that will save my document. I can hit PRINT and know that hitting that will print my document. It's easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I have seen so many horrible interface designs lately.....it's like the designer never tested his deliverable in the real world. Between the tiny text and small buttons, that design should have never left the conference room. I would have loved to have been in the design team conference when some of these things were pitched -- "If we make these buttons a little smaller we can fit another useless feature on the interface !"

A Classic Case is found in the newer Cell Phones. They are not ergonomically thought out, and the most important functions are buried 3-deep in a push-button sequence.
My pet peeve in that area is the loss of the Home button on the newest iPhones and iPads. On my current older models, the Home button is the ultimate safety button: if something hangs up, hit the Home button and you get right back to the Home screen and can reboot or close the offending app if needed. How the #$%!# do you kill a malfunctioning app and return to the Home screen on the newest iPhones? I sure don't know - and while I am sure there is a way and I am capable of learning it, why should I need to? Why should a person have to completely relearn even the most basic control functions every time an electronic device is upgraded?

My 84 year old father is going to have real trouble, I am sure, when the time comes that he will need to replace his aging iPad. He's never going to remember all the new swipe gestures he'll need to know in order to control it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
What I don't get is everything comes with a owners manual except computers, tablets, phones, why?
Because you can get all that via the internet, silly! (Except, of course, when your problem is that you can't connect to the internet... Grrr!)

Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM

7,609 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The thermostat was replaced when the internal/external units were replaced within the last couple of years. No, the thermostat is not "nearly as old as me."

"It's a joke, son." -- Foghorn Leghorn

Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,659,178 times
SAVE means save, but do they even know what the commonly-used symbol for save is supposed to represent? They've never even seen, much less used, a 3 1/2" floppy disk!

Love this!!!!

Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM

7,609 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why should a person have to completely relearn even the most basic control functions every time an electronic device is upgraded?
There are only three things that are certain in this world: death, taxes and Apple changing everything for no good reason on the next iteration of the device you own.

IMO, this is what happens when an organization has no unifying vision (RIP Steve Jobs) and becomes too big and too unwieldy. Managers have to find something for every employee to do because they don't want to lose headcount.

I'm typing this on a four year old MacBook Pro because I refuse to spend money on anything that has an "emoji bar."

Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM

7,302 posts, read 4,148,032 times
What's really scary is that as electronics become incorporated into more and more things, bad user interfaces go from being annoying to potentially life-threatening. Ever seen the user interface for a typical hospital EMR? It's a nightmare.

We really need input from the people who actually use these devices to be taken into consideration before the device is marketed!

Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
Electronics are made for geeks by geeks. No others need apply. The manuals are the same.

We live in a 55+ condo apartment. I have changed all the door knobs to lever handles. That should have been done when it was built 40 years ago. I have changed the wall switches for the rocker type. The ones that control lighting lighting have little pilot lights so that you can find them in the dark. These are simple, inexpensive things that only require a screwdriver.

The real problem is that decisions are made by people that do not have to live with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or