U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 06:08 AM

1,036 posts, read 787,659 times

Advertisements

I had a 7 day programmable thermostat. You couldn't just key in the settings; you had to key in the settings and then push <Enter>. Quite annoying until I got the hang of it. When it broke, I decided that a programmable thermostat was more trouble than it was worth.

My current and favorite thermostat is the Honeywell round digital model. No programming. I just flip the setting from heat to cool as required. I have mine set to display Celsius rather than Fahrenheit.

The problem with software is that it is not written properly. Write it as though every mouse click costs someone $10. Routine tasks should be able to be performed with one screen and a minimum of mouse clicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 10:15 AM

5,440 posts, read 2,766,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Alexa is one thing that I own that is user friendly and intuitive. I know some people don't like being spied on. I don't care though. I can tell that thing to time the meatloaf for an hour and she complies. I can tell her to get a different radio station and she does. I can tell her to turn the radio off in the middle of the night if I wake up. And she does. No need to fiddle with buttons or dials or complicated anything. Just order her around.

NOTHING on my car is intuitive. This is an older car too, but not old enough. There is so much extra stuff and so far I can barely turn the windshield wipers on. Will be practicing the lights once I get the wipers figured out. (Probably never get the rear windows and I know I will never find the gas cap lock thingy. )
It's the creepy things Alexa and Siri say that finally made me decide to never get one. But knowing that someone could be listening to a private conversation I'm having is just one more reason I'll never get one in my house. I can time my own meatloaf for that. LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...le_home_story/

Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 AM

1,164 posts, read 650,725 times
And I thought I was the only person who was so frustrated by the way things are made. Every single thing that is simple to use...ceases to be simple as soon as the next model comes out. We went from XP to W10 and I am appalled with what they did with some of it. One click to do something on Excel now becomes 3 or 4 and in a different screen. What are they trying to prove, that they are smart enough to make things this complicated?

We recently had to change our thermostat. The simple one we had isn't made any more. Husband went and bought one that was programmable. I thought he knew better. We were trying to figure it out when the A C people showed up and put a simple one back in. Success!

You'd think with the aging population things would be going in the other direction. If the aging thing continues, does anyone think good design might eventually be more normal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or