Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 03:54 PM

49,990 posts, read 63,301,795 times

Advertisements

Sorry if someone already said it, but I can’t get packages open. Is it that I’m weak, or are they just made out of stronger stuff?

I take a pill, once a month. It comes in a cardboard cover that I can barely rip open, then inside that is a card with a foil pack which takes scissors to penetrate. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 04:59 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,543,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
. . .
Gene Roddenberry envisioned a computer on Star Trek that responded to voice commands.....that was 50 years ago. Are we there yet ??
"Siri, are we there yet?"

Old 05-11-2019, 07:01 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,161,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry if someone already said it, but I can’t get packages open. Is it that I’m weak, or are they just made out of stronger stuff?

I take a pill, once a month. It comes in a cardboard cover that I can barely rip open, then inside that is a card with a foil pack which takes scissors to penetrate. Why?
Well, you need to get a child to open the child-proof packaging.

No kidding; I was a child when child-proof packaging first came out, and my parents and grandparents always gave it to me to open.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:13 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,870,875 times
Quote:

I have kept a pair of scissors in a little magnetic basket on the side of the refrigerator for many years now. I use it for opening everything.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:58 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,429,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
"Siri, are we there yet?"
"Siri/Alexa open the pod bay door"....

Old 05-11-2019, 08:31 PM

2,835 posts, read 3,158,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Precisely. If you actually need those additional features, the added complexity is just the price you must pay to get them. But why should your grandmother have to pay it? She only needs a bare-bones thermostat. Why can’t she get one?

That’s feature-creep: the belief on the part of the designers that more features = better leads to the loss of the simpler models (even though there is still a time and place for that simplicity).

I asked my heat pump service people to put in the kind of thermostat that can be calibrated. All of them used to offer that. He told me they don't make them any more. So now I have to remember that it reads 2 degrees higher than the actual temperature.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,041,054 times
Why does just about every TV, dvd, sound bar, whatever manufacturer make their remotes all black with small white lettering? I’m sitting in my recliner watching tv, and if I need to use a feature that is not frequently used, I hold it up to my face and all I can see is the bright tv screen behind it! I have to keep a small flashlight beside my chair.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 PM

18,830 posts, read 14,016,461 times
The elderly (and prospective elders) need to revolt against the short sighted youth and their change-for-change-sake meddling.
Oops.

Did I say that out loud?

Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,530,502 times
i don't need no stinkin' friendly designs. I can make anything work. The user is far more important, than the utensil. If people can't make things work when they're older, they probably never could.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:11 AM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Quote:

Things like medicine often come in more “secure” packaging, which is a complete nuisance to open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement