U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 01:02 AM

9,150 posts, read 3,003,072 times

Advertisements

Remington amber shooting glasses work well at night for me. On my bicycle, they also protect my eyes from flying bits of rock, tossed by car wheels, at all times. Even just walking on a sidewalk, you can be hit by such rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 05:16 AM

97 posts, read 34,389 times
In 2016 the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) started evaluating the effectiveness of car headlights. Their rating was a key determinant of the last car I bought.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:40 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,663,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
After I got cataract surgery, the glare was barely there at all at night anymore.
Good to know as I am experiencing horrific light time glare when driving. I know I have a cataract that is growing - the ophthalmologist says "Not Yet" - and I have floaters in my eyes that also reflect glare. The eventual cataract surgery will remove all of the above.

I wonder if polarized lenses without shading would be good for eliminating glare during night time driving?

I wasn't aware that GM offered night vision systems in their cars anymore. I knew Cadillac had such systems as a very expensive option nearly 20 years ago, required the also very expensive Heads Up Display, and I thought the option had been eliminated.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 AM

97 posts, read 34,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

I wasn't aware that GM offered night vision systems in their cars anymore. I knew Cadillac had such systems as a very expensive option nearly 20 years ago, required the also very expensive Heads Up Display, and I thought the option had been eliminated.
Youíre probably right. I should have said I knew Cadillac had (past tense) night vision technology options. Donít know if they still do.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 AM

6,549 posts, read 7,974,458 times
I even have trouble in the daytime with flashing LED lights. It seems half the commercial vehicles that have them like to keep them on even when they are unnecessary. Dump trucks for example when driving on 65 mph roads. You can either speed up to pass or start driving really slow to get out of their zone of visual influence but it is disruptive none the less. Anyone have experience on dealing with this?

Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 AM

1,766 posts, read 566,969 times
Iíve never understood the glare complaint. Although I need reading glasses, my vision is quite good. We live out where there are few street lights and dark country roads and encounter many cars with the HID headlamps. I never have a problem but I also never look directly at approaching headlights, I always keep my eyes focused on the road. Maybe, as some have implied, it is problems with oneís eyes instead?

Old 05-11-2019, 11:39 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
HID headlights are passť. Most vehicles today that don't have the old-fashioned halogen headlights have LED headlights. And they're not really the problem. The problem is people are replacing their halogen bulbs with LED bulbs. When you do that, you get an unfocused light that blinds oncoming traffic. That's because halogen headlight housings cannot properly focus a non-halogen bulb. The housings for halogen, HID and LED bulbs are all very different. If someone wants to upgrade to LED headlights, they need to change the entire housing, not just the bulb. I see this all the time in Alaska during the winter. Older trucks that I know didn't come with LED headlights now have very bright white headlights because the owner just did a bulb swap.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:41 AM

2,385 posts, read 911,090 times
If I needed an aid at night to drive, other than prescription glasses, I'd stay off the road at night. Just my opinion is all

Old 05-11-2019, 12:00 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,742,235 times
I've tried the night glasses, Amazon etc., and found they offered very little to shield glare. Maybe 10% of the glare reduced, IMHO.

Tried Lutein as "supposedly" it would help with night glare... not.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:37 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,846,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
Does anyone have any experience with night vision technology? I’ve been looking at this:

https://www.lanmodo.com/lanmodo-1080...on-system.html

I know some Cadillac and BMW models have night vision systems built into the car; I was hoping to find something I can easily add.

I thank you for posting this. It looks like an interesting gadget. I like gadgets. I had a Buick Lacrosse that had a heads up display for speed of the car. radio station information, turn by turn for navigation and turn signals. It had adaptive HID headlights as well. It was an awesome car to drive too.

Oh and I have had experience with night vision technology. Not this one but I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement