U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:08 PM

100 posts, read 35,596 times

Advertisements

I have a heads up display in my car and I love it! I will post back here with impressions if I pull the trigger and order the night vision thingy. I’m tempted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,673,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’ve never understood the glare complaint. Although I need reading glasses, my vision is quite good. We live out where there are few street lights and dark country roads and encounter many cars with the HID headlamps. I never have a problem but I also never look directly at approaching headlights, I always keep my eyes focused on the road. Maybe, as some have implied, it is problems with one’s eyes instead?

Probably. As I posted, I have floaters in my eyes. I thought everyone did until a few years ago when the optometrist mentioned them to me and asked how long they had been there. "All my life, as far back as I can remember" was my response. And I now have a cataract in one eye as well.

To anyone who does not know what a floater is, imagine specs of dirt or other small objects floating in the fluid contained in your eye. I can 'see' them when I lay on my back, stare at a white ceiling, and deliberately allow my eyes to drift out of focus. Then I can watch them move around in the fluid within my eyes. One cluster of material looks very much like a paramecium. Being bits of trapped pre-natal cell material they apparently can reflect light that becomes night-time glare.

http://eyeadvisory.com/eye-conditions/floatersretina/

Old 05-13-2019, 07:50 AM

1,678 posts, read 575,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I wonder if polarized lenses without shading would be good for eliminating glare during night time driving

Nope, polarization has no effect. I know because I have always gotten polarized and UV-blocking in all of my prescription glasses (the ones with the clear lenses, the sunglasses, the Transitions pair, and my computer glasses) since the 1980s and they don't help halos/glare at all.

I'm like you: Small cataracts now, no need to address until later.

I rarely need to drive at night anymore (maybe four or five times a year, if even that) but a couple of times I stayed out unexpectedly after dark and only had my sunglasses with me and so had to drive with those. Those DID cut the glare noticeably but they are also a very dark tint, 30% light transmission if I recall correctly. But of course they cut overall vision as well.

Which reminds me, I need to ask my optometrist which Crizal coating was put onto my most recent pair of lenses. When it first came on the market there was only one 'flavor' of Crizal but I recently discovered that there are now five (the most recent one also reduces blue light transmission) and supposedly the Sapphire 360 version is the most effective at reducing night driving glare. If that's not what I currently have on my lenses, I may switch because recently I've been getting halos around the white-on-black text in my tv's channel guide, making it harder to read.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:18 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,673,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
Youíre probably right. I should have said I knew Cadillac had (past tense) night vision technology options. Donít know if they still do.

Not anymore. I did a quick search today and the option was offered in the 2000 thru 2004 Model years only, plus a handful of 2005 Cadillac DeVilles built before GM's Sept 2004 Cancellation of the option.

https://www.autonews.com/article/200...ion-on-deville

Old 05-13-2019, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the info. A Cadillac was never on my list of desired cars, so I didn’t pay too much attention to it.

I bought the gadget. I’m going out with a friend at dusk this evening to try it out. It’s expensive, but if it works as well as the YouTube videos claim, it’s well worth the price to me. Nightfall comes depressingly early in the winter in Minnesota.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:57 AM

Well, I took a short spin around my neighborhood at dusk to try it out. Someone commented that they’d appreciate hearing my initial impressions so here they are:

- easy to connect. It goes into your cigarette lighter or your ODB (forget exactly what this stands for but it’s where you plug in a device to perform diagnostic tests or set some options, like the beep when you’re in reverse). In my car the ODB is hard to reach, by the brake pedal, so I went with the lighter

- works right out of the box. The only assembly was to screw on the base or suction cup. You have an option to have it sitting on your dash or stuck via a suction cup to your windshield. The base has a sticky bottom pad to snap into, but I don’t want it on my dash all the time, so I just placed it there without the bottom pad. I think that will work

- the cord is split to add an option of a back camera. I already have a backup camera in my car.

- I think it works well - the YouTube review I watched gives an accurate depiction of what it’s like. I thought it would look more like a thermal imaging camera, but it’s much clearer

- utility decreases when you have oncoming headlights. I wouldn’t buy this if most of your driving is on busy streets. But for dark streets it’s really helpful

- I experimented with the placement and had my friend hold it at different levels. It was a little disorienting to me when it was off to the side. I’ve decided i need it straight ahead of me sitting where it blocks my heads up display. Nothing critical I need in the HUD for night driving, so that’s ok

They’re my first impressions. I’ll post back after some real world use. That may be a while, since we have a lot of daylight this time of year in Minnesota.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:03 AM

7,286 posts, read 4,158,066 times
I was surprised at the clarity of the nighttime image. This would be perfect for those drives up and down the Alaska Highway. Lots of critters wandering around after dark.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
Well, I took a short spin around my neighborhood at dusk to try it out. Someone commented that theyíd appreciate hearing my initial impressions so here they are:

- easy to connect. It goes into your cigarette lighter or your ODB (forget exactly what this stands for but itís where you plug in a device to perform diagnostic tests or set some options, like the beep when youíre in reverse). In my car the ODB is hard to reach, by the brake pedal, so I went with the lighter

- works right out of the box. The only assembly was to screw on the base or suction cup. You have an option to have it sitting on your dash or stuck via a suction cup to your windshield. The base has a sticky bottom pad to snap into, but I donít want it on my dash all the time, so I just placed it there without the bottom pad. I think that will work

- the cord is split to add an option of a back camera. I already have a backup camera in my car.

- I think it works well - the YouTube review I watched gives an accurate depiction of what itís like. I thought it would look more like a thermal imaging camera, but itís much clearer

- utility decreases when you have oncoming headlights. I wouldnít buy this if most of your driving is on busy streets. But for dark streets itís really helpful

- I experimented with the placement and had my friend hold it at different levels. It was a little disorienting to me when it was off to the side. Iíve decided i need it straight ahead of me sitting where it blocks my heads up display. Nothing critical I need in the HUD for night driving, so thatís ok

Theyíre my first impressions. Iíll post back after some real world use. That may be a while, since we have a lot of daylight this time of year in Minnesota.
Thank you. I appreciate your opinion. I would think the same that it wouldn't be very good for city driving but on that lonely country road it could be a life saver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement