Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 03:41 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

If you retired to another country to be an ex-pat, what do you miss the most about the good old USA?

And where did you retire to?

We may spend some time abroad living/traveling , but doubt we will ex-pat.

Depends on how well travel health insurance covers us while we are gone. Probably 4 mos a year.

Then again, we are not sure we want to be gone that long, and dont know how long we can afford it with our tight budget, but a cheaper place will help.

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quite honestly, nothing. I came to Philippines two years ago, with all my worldly possessions in a carry-on bag in the overhead compartment. There is nothing I wish I had brought along.

I married a woman I had never seen before, and she turned out to be honest, capable and resourceful. I've turned my life over to her, and have no fear.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:10 AM

989 posts, read 769,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I married a woman I had never seen before, and she turned out to be honest, capable and resourceful. I've turned my life over to her, and have no fear.
OK, but why would you do that? The Marriage part

Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
OK, but why would you do that? The Marriage part
At age 80, I could no longer expect to live safely by myself forever.

Why was not part of the OP's question, I just added some background. The point is that I expected to miss nothing, for the reason indicated, and the developments have borne that out.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:28 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
I'm not retired, but I am an American expat who has been living in Asia for the past 20 years. The one thing I miss the most is my extended family. I have two brothers who have families of their own, and I miss out on the holidays, family get togethers, weddings and BBQ's.

Although I speak the local language (Chinese) I will never be considered a local. This goes for most non-English speaking countries where its very difficult to integrate into the local community. Besides not being a native speaker, I also have very different interested, as well as a different background and culture which creates seperation. I want to be apart of something, and have a sense of community with a great social network. This is something that is very difficult in some countries.

I also miss watching live sports on TV. I'd much rather watch a baseball or football game at 8pm with a beer, then at 8am with a cup of coffee and eggs.

Lastly, I have faith in medical care and many countries around the world have excellent, inexpensive medical care, facilities, doctors and equipment. My only concern is if I ever needed to call an ambulance during an emergency. The sense of urgency and service in that area is a little scary, and nothing compared to what you'd expect in the U.S. Traffic jams and just a lack of urgency is a concern for me in many countries, esp developing countries.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Things I miss, which often aren't realized until we swing through USA to visit parents:
1. Friendly people politely greeting each other "good morning' etc. (more missed when in Asia)
2. American BBQ, nobody else does it right not even close
3. Strip malls, it's easy to take for granted how easy it is to just drive up and park in front of your destination
4. Free water at restaurants, often they don't even ask!
5. Amazon Prime
I could go on and on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement