U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 05:47 PM

446 posts, read 283,038 times

Advertisements

Don’t remember the brand, but I had an ice water circulating machine for a knee replacement two years ago, and it was wonderful. I mean, truly wonderful. It was instant pain relief, as good as the drugs, better since fairly soon you have to wean yourself off the drugs. I can’t compare to the other ice possibilities you asked about, because the machine felt so good I never tried anything else. I used it for about three months, but less and less after four or five weeks. The two best things for me were the ice machine and one of those leg elevating slant foam cushions. The foam elevating cushion I used for about six months, again less as time went by. I also used that stiff dog leash thing that loops around your toes, but only needed it for a few weeks, then one day the quads just snapped back into action and you never use it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM

5,678 posts, read 6,780,654 times
The ins. co. paid for one for my wife when she had her shoulder repaired. We were told that it was extremely temporary, for the first few days after surgery. Thereafter, heat was to be used to promote blood flow to aid healing. It was much better than dealing with ice packs.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:44 PM

265 posts, read 75,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Sorry to hear that your knee replacement did not go well. I know that surgery like this is always a bit of a gamble. Could I ask which cooling machine you used?

Sorry....don't know the brand, it's in a closet somewhere now. Knee was done Feb 2016.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 767,071 times
I had my left knee replaced last May and used ice packs. I used the gel packs you freeze, use for half an hour or so, then refreeze. I also used the old fashioned ice bags you fill with water and ice cubes. They were both effective. That knee went well, was back walking pretty well after about 9 weeks.

Last August I had my right knee replaced and I decided to buy the circulating ice machine and I'm so glad I did. My right knee hasn't healed like the left did. It's chronically sore, make that in pain. I'm still using a cane (I'm only 59). The circulation cooler is literally sitting a few feet away from me as I type this. It actually doesn't freeze your skin like ice packs so I've kept it running on my knee for hours at a time. Not sure if that's recommended but I do it. Feels great, really helps. I have about a dozen small plastic water bottles in the freezer and use 6 at a time instead of ice cubes in the circulator when cooling the knee. Once they thaw they go back in the freezer.

There's a book written by an orthopedic surgeon and a physical therapist that had knee replacement himself and he said there are going to be times, even a few years later, where your knees will be sore and you will use the circulation machine.

The circulator is the Ossur Cold Rush; The book is called Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation

Good luck

Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 PM
JRR JRR started this thread

3,685 posts, read 2,230,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I had my left knee replaced last May and used ice packs. I used the gel packs you freeze, use for half an hour or so, then refreeze. I also used the old fashioned ice bags you fill with water and ice cubes. They were both effective. That knee went well, was back walking pretty well after about 9 weeks.

Last August I had my right knee replaced and I decided to buy the circulating ice machine and I'm so glad I did. My right knee hasn't healed like the left did. It's chronically sore, make that in pain. I'm still using a cane (I'm only 59). The circulation cooler is literally sitting a few feet away from me as I type this. It actually doesn't freeze your skin like ice packs so I've kept it running on my knee for hours at a time. Not sure if that's recommended but I do it. Feels great, really helps. I have about a dozen small plastic water bottles in the freezer and use 6 at a time instead of ice cubes in the circulator when cooling the knee. Once they thaw they go back in the freezer.

There's a book written by an orthopedic surgeon and a physical therapist that had knee replacement himself and he said there are going to be times, even a few years later, where your knees will be sore and you will use the circulation machine.

The circulator is the Ossur Cold Rush; The book is called Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation

Good luck
Sorry to hear that the second knee didn't go as well as the first. I will be needing my other knee done and was hoping to have that handled by the end of the year, if the first one goes OK. The Cold Rush is one that is at the top of my list of machines that I am interested in.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 PM

6,425 posts, read 4,186,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Loved my cooling machine. Knee replacement was lousy. Pops and clicks to this day with every step. Clearly they did not get it right. I'll go to my grave with the other one.
The pops and clicks are normal. You will get used to it over time.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:11 PM

6,425 posts, read 4,186,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
You're one of the lucky 4 out of 5. Reading on it AFTER the operation, seems about 20% are not happy with the results.

For example, I don't recall it being mentioned you may never be able to kneel again....putting any pressure on my knee cap brings tears to my eyes from pain. Really un-handy for a guy that was used to being down on the floor installing flooring, baseboards, etc.
That is probably why you ended up needing replacement. I wish somebody had told me to start using knee pads long before I started needing to.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:16 AM

224 posts, read 238,299 times
We used large bags of frozen peas for my wife's hip. Worked well as they can conform to the shape.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 AM

10,741 posts, read 21,380,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I will be getting a knee replaced next month and am debating about what direction (cooling machine or gel wrap or ice packs) to go with in keeping my knee iced. I was wondering what experience anyone had with icing their surgery/injury. Thanks.
Personally, I'd go with the machine. My hub had it for his shoulder surgery 10 years ago. He wouldn't have any surgery without the machine after using it. He wished he had the machine when he had his knee done many years ago.

Gel packs are pretty cheap at Walmart; they're good to keep on hand. Their size doesn't work for me so I make my own out of them. I normally cut them open, put the gel in a quart sized sealer bag that's a great size for my back. I've also done the same with the ice packs that have the little pea sized balls in them. If you own a bag sealer, keep this in mind if you can't find the right size gel pack for your knee. The ones with the gel peas are expensive, especially if they're for a specific body part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I'm heading toward a knee replacement but I'm not there yet. When I had shoulder surgery several years ago I used an ice machine that not only circulated cold water but also provided compression. That definitely helped. My wife had a different shoulder surgery in February and the ice machine she had only circulated the cold water.
My hub and I both need shoulder surgery. I'd be interested to know more about the machine you used if you remember anything more about it.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:50 AM

3,351 posts, read 3,055,161 times
I bought this off Amazon before my TKR and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Aircast-Thera...s%2C475&sr=8-4

Good luck. I'm 90% happy with mine. At least I can ride my bike again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or