U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:56 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,418,090 times

Advertisements

I have too many toys.

Jeep Wrangler for top off (the Jeep) sunny days.
Yamaha Super Tenere for rides on Vermonts backroads with friends.
Kubota RTV for plowing, yardwork, and mostly giving the dog rides.
Vintage audio stuff for relaxing and contemplating my navel.
Camera stuff (digital is so nice)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 AM

1,566 posts, read 577,574 times
I guess it would have to be the American Flyer train that my father put up around the Christmas tree and adjacent grand piano every year. That way it had a longer route!

Old 05-18-2019, 10:55 AM

577 posts, read 168,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Some really wonderful toys have been shared on here. Great thread!

My favorites are my golf cart, which we use to drive around our small beach town and take to the ocean. We could walk to the beach - only about a block or two, but it's much more fun to take our golf cart and not have to carry our beach chairs, etc. and our dogs love to run along side and they get way more exercise than would be possible from just us taking them for a walk. It's very safe to do this where we live - hardly any car traffic at all. We can also ride the golf cart to the library and a few stores and the farm market that is close by.

I don't think this would be considered to be a toy, but I do love my Bluebird House and watching the birds build their nests and take care of those sweet little babies. And I love having my bird feeders and watching all the birds that come to eat.

And last, but not least, my decks of playing cards. We hadn't played cards in years, but lately, we've been playing Hearts several times a week with some good friends and we always have so much fun. We started out playing on Friday evenings, but had so much fun that now we play about 2 or 3 times a week. We take turns making dinner and sometimes order out for food, depending on what we want to eat, if we feel like cooking, etc. Sometimes, we also hang out in our hot tub for a while, too. We always do it at our house, because we don't want to leave our dogs home alone all evening and we wouldn't impose on our friends by taking the dogs to their house and our house is bigger and we're the ones who have a hot tub. Our friends are fine with doing it this way, so it works out perfectly for all of us. In fact, we are doing it tonight and having BLT's for dinner. Yum!
You are living the life! It is inspiring what you've described. That will be ME next year - golf cart and all. Well done sir/madam!

Old 05-18-2019, 11:04 AM

2,291 posts, read 2,675,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
You are living the life! It is inspiring what you've described. That will be ME next year - golf cart and all. Well done sir/madam!
I'm so happy to hear that you liked my post and the things I described. Best wishes to you about your golf cart and next year! It sounds as if you might be retiring and moving to a new location. If you don't mind sharing, where are you planning to be living, etc.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:35 PM

577 posts, read 168,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I'm so happy to hear that you liked my post and the things I described. Best wishes to you about your golf cart and next year! It sounds as if you might be retiring and moving to a new location. If you don't mind sharing, where are you planning to be living, etc.
This is in Northern California.

Most residents there own a golf cart. Being a golfer myself, I already know how to operate one. it will be a nice place to retire.

I'm sure mine will be decorated appropriately to let people know I'm approaching (lights, flags, noise, etc...)

There's never been a better time to be of retirement age!

Old 05-18-2019, 03:06 PM

1,687 posts, read 607,568 times
I have two favorite toys, one obsolete and the other one futuristic.

I am a used-book fanatic, and one of the reasons why I have to keep a pied-a-terre in San Francisco is the fact that San Francisco Public Library has the best used-book sales in the nation: they used to have them every Wednesday, now they have them 6 days per week, each book $1. I get about 10 books per week when I am in SF, and I read them all!

My other favorite toy, I think, will be virtual reality. I am sure the technology will get cheaper and more widespread in the next 26 years, so that after 85 I don't have to risk breaking hip during adventure travel, but can pursue the same via VR. I have already tried swimming with a VR whale at the bottom of a VR ocean, and have stood at a VR mountaintop (in the VR Cascades, in VR Washington State), while actually standing in a friend's suburban living room in Massachusetts. I didn't have to wear any scuba diving gear in order to be able to pet that VR whale that swam by me! It seemed as real as anything!

Old 05-19-2019, 05:22 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Our brand new toy. Talk about a learning curve! Yikes! This is not ours. I've not had time to take a picture yet, but it looks just like it.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:26 PM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Fly rod and reel, camera, free time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or