U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,264,598 times

Advertisements

Well, your work is more like a well paid hobby for you. My retirement “work” will be similar, though not as well paid. I would substitute “accomplishment” for “purpose” is what work normally provides, at least for me. Two days ago I earned $1100 in 5 hours. I replaced the coolant and thermostat in my beater 2008 Mini Cooper myself. Total cost was $140. Dealer quote $1250. The feeling of accomplishment, not purpose, for that job, was quite fulfilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 AM

6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am my grandfathers grandson.

My grandfather worked until suffering a stroke at age 86.

At 70 years old as much as I try I can't envision not working. Why not? Why retire and do what?
I can understand that if you are in that position it makes sense to keep working. I do find it incredibly sad. Prior to retirement, I had a list of things I wanted to do, to learn and to accomplish during my retirement years. The list just keeps growing.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:08 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Isn't it great how there isn't just one mold we all have to fit into?

Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,162,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We focus a lot on the financial aspects of preparation toward retirement but there is an emotional aspect too. Mentally and emotionally you must be ready for the major change in your life.

My wife learned last evening that the husband of a long-term friend and co-worker died suddenly yesterday afternoon. He was 62, fit & trim, an avid bicyclist, and appeared to be in great health.

He had a 30+ year GM/UAW pension and was working as a bank teller after the local plants closed. He wife is 61 and qualified for a pension from her job at age 60. The last conversation my wife had with her friend involved retirements and the friend stated how much she and her husband were looking forward to their own retirements.

Since my wife and I fall into the grouping of "Financially Ready but Uncertain", sad tales such as these make us reconsider the uncertainty component. Our next meeting with our Financial guy is 1-1/2 weeks away, with a couple major financial milestones at work scheduled for Oct 1st and Nov 15th. I learned yesterday there will be no benefit for me to stay till mid-Jan 2020 (I thought there would be 2020 vacation pay-out eligibility), so mid-November 2019 leaped to the fore front as my targeted retirement date.

The reality is, whether you are working or retired, you are going to die at some point. I have known a lot of people over the years who retired and died a short time later.

I guess what you are getting at is, do you want to enjoy whatever time you have left by being retired and not having to go to work every day ? If so, that is your call.

I've retired twice and have gone back full time because I found it was not good for my mental or physical health. Now, I get exercise, use my brain all day to solve problems, and feel better than when I was not working. For me, you can only play with your toys so much before it gets old. Your mileage may vary, as we are all different.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
I’m too busy now, I can’t image working anymore. I’ve been spending time earning small amount of money, like a painting that would cost me at least $500 to buy, 48x48, it will be hung in my dinning room. I’ve spent 2 semesters already on it, about 8 hours a week, it works out to earning minimum wage.
But as I said to my husband last night, our main job now is to eat, exercise, and sleep. The more we exercise the better we sleep, hopefully the better our health will be or to maintain our health. Rinse and repeat. Anything else is secondary, we’ll get to it when we have time.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 05-15-2019 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 AM

992 posts, read 380,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Isn't it great how there isn't just one mold we all have to fit into?
Funny how that works.

I've broken every mold *they* tried to force-fit me into. lol No one expected much from me as a young boy growing up in the deep south and much to their surprise, it turned out nicely. I love our life and while I can't wait to retire, at 61+, I can still deliver the goods. I feel as young as I did in my 40's and 10x enthusiastic about life and work in general. Why? Maybe because I don't *have* to work now. I working to fill time until my wife retires but really, if something were to change, I'd call it quits tomorrow. ("Tomorrow" is relative, my boss wants six-month's notice. I'll play nicely and try to accommodate him!)

If I were to drop dead tomorrow, I'd go with a certain satisfaction that I've had a great life with very few regrets. One small one being that I wasn't able to enjoy it a bit longer but, when it's your time to go, you really don't have a choice in the matter.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,659,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am my grandfathers grandson.

My grandfather worked until suffering a stroke at age 86.

At 70 years old as much as I try I can't envision not working. Why not? Why retire and do what?

And for a significant portion of the population, part time employment in retirement is the best fit for them. Less stressful, less demanding, but still enjoyable.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 AM

579 posts, read 136,472 times
Just my opinion as a retired person, now for 3 years and some. And as one that is SHOCKED as to the amount of money it takes to live daily now. Even if one is like my wife and I, that had no house or car payments when we retired.

I have found that a persons state of mind after retirement, will be in direct proportion to their financial well being. If they have enough money as to not have to worry about their food, shelter, medications, healthcare for 20 + years...then life can be what ever they want to make it. Have fun with their hobbies, traveling, or just live a boring or sedate life, if they choose to live this way.

If one does not have enough money or means set aside, then retirement can end up being just a continuance of their passed working years. Where they have to still make money monthly, just in order to live a decent life for whatever of it... is left for them.

Working for fun money in ones senior years can still be fun, as it still gives us oldies a sense of "purpose". But when we HAVE to work to pay the $1300.00 doctor bill laying on our desk...the fun just went out of our oldies job.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
I'm not sure about the 'emotionally ready' aspect of retirement, but, if you browse the threads on the retirement forum, you will likely find an 80+:20- ratio of those much happier in retirement, than they were working.

It probably depends mostly on whether one 'works to live - or lives to work.' I've got an 87-year old friend who still gets-up daily and works (often driving distances to different work locations). He doesn't really have any hobbies or serious interests and wonders what he would do if he ever retired. He was talking about a "young fellow" working for him who was a real 'go-getter.' I asked how old this 'young fellow' was and he replied, "76!"

We retired about 11-years ago (61/65) and still hold to the old mantra: "A bad day in retirement, is better than a great day at work!"

Old 05-15-2019, 12:15 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Well yeah OP, death is certain and soon.

One realizes how soon and how short time is when retired and as the years left to live speed by.

It seems that many people are in denial about it for long periods of time or do not focus on it.

But I think it's a very good thing to focus on when making retirement decisions - if one values life, living, and freedom to enjoy and make one's own schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

We focus a lot on the financial aspects of preparation toward retirement but there is an emotional aspect too. Mentally and emotionally you must be ready for the major change in your life.
I do not agree with what you say in blue above. I think way way too much is made of being mentally and emotionally ready for retirement. It just isn't that big a deal for a huge number of people in terms of being "mentally and emotionally ready". To me that is laughable (sorry).

Last edited by matisse12; 05-15-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or