U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:02 PM

6,564 posts, read 8,094,240 times

Advertisements

Don't feel sorry for those of us who loved our work. In truth it isn't really work if you do love it.i miss the people the things I had to learn all about doing my job, I do not miss the hours and related stress. But overall I miss it alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 PM

992 posts, read 378,533 times
Imagine my shock to get an email informing me that one of our contractors died at work today. It seems that he had a massive heart attack.

The guy was 64 and was strongly considering moving back to St Louis since he just transitioned to working from home. It's kind of trite to say this can happen to anyone. He was overweight by at least 150 lbs, always seemed stressed and never exercised. We had just talked about his health a few weeks ago when I was in their office and I told him, in the nicest way possible that something needed to change. He just rolled his eye and said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear you."

He was my buddy and we conquered a lot of ground while working together over the last 8 years. I'm so sad for our loss, his family's loss and the loss of the skills he brought to work. He was a good guy... I just wished that he could have retired to enjoy his family more.

RIP Jim. You will be missed.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 PM

2,030 posts, read 858,396 times
I retired twice. Once at 59 and again at 62. Both times I was financially able to do so. What made up my mind the first time was seeing several co-workers wheeled out of the building toes up on several occasions. I just had this irrational feeling the next one wheeled out would be me. So even though it was scary I retired. Bear in mind I loved my job and was good at it and had no real stress at work at all.

What went wrong with my first retirement was that my wife continued working. So I was "home alone" and expected to do some of the house work like the laundry, pick up my wife from work, etc. So retirement wasn't any fun.

About a year after my first retirement I went back to work as an IT contractor and did that for two years. I also loved that work and was good at it and felt no stress even though the work was at a much faster pace and more demanding.

My second contract ended the month before I turned 62. My wife was retired at this point and we had already downsized and moved to a more suburban location. I saw no reason to keep working. I had enough money. For me, work was never about having something to do. Even though I loved what I did, a job is done to earn and accumulate money. I had no interest in working part time for less money or volunteering.

We've been retired a bit more than 10 years now. So far, so good. Maybe it's just me, but I never missed work and never was bored or at a loss for how to occupy my time. With my hobbies, family, friends, the internet, TV, the house and the dog there's always something to do or get done. My father died at 64, just weeks before he was set to retire. I'm 72 and still here.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-15-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 06:55 PM

8,483 posts, read 12,448,580 times
"No man ever said on his deathbed I wish I had spent more time in the office"

Life is short. If you can afford it, retire NOW.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:24 PM

255 posts, read 64,766 times
I retired at 58 and then worked part time from home in a new career I loved. Unfortunately it ended at 65 and I am sad. Still doing a little consulting. I wouldn’t want to work full time until I died.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 PM

1,040 posts, read 483,913 times
How did he die?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 PM

3,685 posts, read 1,864,831 times
I've never been one to be defined by my work. It was a means to an end, which is FREEDOM.

I retired as early as I could reasonably retire.

Never regretted it.

Love it, awesome, beyond awesome.........

Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,659,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
How did he die?
He died yesterday around 2pm from the stories. Today before noon people were saying it was a massive heart attack which dropped him to the floor while he was walking away from his Teller's Station at the Bank where worked..

I don't know if an autopsy was performed. I don't know if the heart attack cause came from a Doctor or speculative rumors.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 PM

45 posts, read 13,691 times
"emotionally retired" for 25 years. 4 hrs/5days a week workweeks for the last 30 years with generous pto, vacation, sick leave and holiday pay. I'll retire soon at 65years with $700 month pension & $1200 mo Social Security. Wife is employed until 70 for our medical. Her Pension will be around the same amount.

Only nest egg is our modest 401k balances.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 AM

111 posts, read 44,710 times
Everyone has their own tipping point, I guess.

About a year ago, a co-worker left on Friday and didn't return Monday. Later we found he'd dropped from a heart attack mowing his lawn. A few months ago I heard of another coworker leaving suddenly and he didn't return either. A month later we found out he'd had a stroke and is now house-bound. He and his wife's retirement plans are now gone.

A few months ago, I started having shortness of breath, etc. etc. problem. Eventually docs discovered serious coronary artery blockage. One set of stents put in a week ago, the next are scheduled soon. This got me to thinking about time and the fact my own personal stop sign is somewhere out there. Maybe over the next hill, maybe several away. You never know.

At work our current project is now in the typically mis-managed stage -- that of customer changes, late equipment due to outdated purchasing process, frantic redesigns and sending engineers to the hinterlands on extended travel to correct something that could have been done right in the first place.

After missing 5 days due to my heart stents, HR haughtily informs me the new corporate rules for leave only cover a consecutive 5 day week. No go if your minimum 5 days are spread across something besides M-F. They inform me they're denying my leave and if I don't use vacation hours it's unpaid. And to top it all off, I get a message warning me I could face disciplinary action for taking "unapproved" time off -- and I need to do something about it immediately.

I took them at their word and did something about it. I took a half day to visit the accountant/FA. Then came back and submitted the request for my retirement separation package.

I'm emotionally ready -- and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or