Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,885,707 times

Advertisements

I'm entirely unsure where to post this. Please delete or repost elsewhere, if appropriate.

I believe a young women who works for me took my state-issued ID card. I have not accused her since I cannot be sure, but tapered off her hours and now she's really not working for me.

My question is: what mischief can be done with a state-issued photo ID? Assuming I'm right, and it was stolen, to what illegal use might it be put?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 PM

64 posts, read 44,193 times
I think you should immediately call where you received your state issued ID and tell them you think it was stolen, and what should you do about it.

It might have a specific ID number than can be cancelled and a new number (and ID) issued.

Best to call them.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breoul View Post
I think you should immediately call where you received your state issued ID and tell them you think it was stolen, and what should you do about it.

It might have a specific ID number than can be cancelled and a new number (and ID) issued.

Best to call them.
I already did that. That's really not what I asked, is it?

Old 05-15-2019, 01:36 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,882,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm entirely unsure where to post this. Please delete or repost elsewhere, if appropriate.

I believe a young women who works for me took my state-issued ID card. I have not accused her since I cannot be sure, but tapered off her hours and now she's really not working for me.

My question is: what mischief can be done with a state-issued photo ID? Assuming I'm right, and it was stolen, to what illegal use might it be put?

Identity theft.

Passing fake checks and presenting your ID.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,253,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Identity theft.

Passing fake checks and presenting your ID.
That's the only thing I can think of too. Unless you can use an id to obtain a credit card. I don't know. The other thing would be for immigration purposes I think. Again, unsure.

I'll bet your state that issued the id would have the EXACT information on how it could be used.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,681,212 times
identity theft: getting loans in your name, starting utilities in your name, getting medical care in your name, committing crimes under your identity. Basically the more information that they can get on you, the more they can do everything you can do.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,706,609 times
You may need to report to police and freeze your credits.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,659,749 times
Quote:

I think what this person could do might be different depending on whether or not your ID has your picture on it and whether or not you signed it and if she could impersonate you if she looks like you or could forge your signature. The worst possible thing would most likely be that she could impersonate you and open credit in your name, etc.

I know you didn't ask for advice about what to do about it, and just wanted to know what mischief can be done, but I am still going to suggest that you put a hold on your credit and make sure that she can't open any accounts with your name on them or anything like that.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 PM

6,419 posts, read 3,916,134 times
Quote:
I already did that. That's really not what I asked, is it?
Was the state unable to answer your questions?

Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I think what this person could do might be different depending on whether or not your ID has your picture on it and whether or not you signed it and if she could impersonate you if she looks like you or could forge your signature. The worst possible thing would most likely be that she could impersonate you and open credit in your name, etc.

I know you didn't ask for advice about what to do about it, and just wanted to know what mischief can be done, but I am still going to suggest that you put a hold on your credit and make sure that she can't open any accounts with your name on them or anything like that.
As I posted, it's a state issued photo id. So yes, it has my photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement