U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM

6,975 posts, read 12,506,495 times

Advertisements

I just checked a few weeks ago with Office Depot. They were $1.00 a pound. Those UPS or FedEx Stores also do it. You bring it in and they send it to a shredding company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 02:21 PM

5,252 posts, read 3,651,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I feed them to my worms, I have 4 worm bins for that reason. I donít bother shredding them anymore. Too much work.
When I was young, my uncle raised red worms for fish bait and he did the same with newspapers. When I wanted to fish It was always fun gathering the worms. They did a number on the newspapers.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:25 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,120,086 times
I haven't tried this myself, but I've heard of people turning large amounts of old paper records into unreadable pulp. They soak the papers in a garbage can filled with water (some add bleach to the water to help get ink out), stir it occasionally, and once it has turned into mush, lay it out in the sun to dry, then dispose of it.

I burned about 10 years of records once, and I don't recommend doing that.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:34 PM

844 posts, read 221,691 times
We have an outdoor fireplace and burn them. Much quicker than shredding.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM

134 posts, read 54,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Most shredders that people buy for home use have a printing on it that states: 3-5 pages (or whatever) - if you can't find local shredding events, in the future, obviously, don't wait until you have so much piled up. But now: shred a couple pages at a time, empty into a bag (preferably paper so it can be recycled), while you are watching TV, etc. - the shredder will get hot and need a rest - let it cool down and shred some more.
Our waste company in Delaware has requested that shredded paper not be put in recycle bin. Apparently it gums up the conveyers. The best thing to do is get a new shredder (they're relatively cheap), only shred a couple of pages at a time. Fill up one shredder bin a day until it's gone.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:50 PM

579 posts, read 142,028 times
When our last straight cut shredder broke for good, I bought a more secure "cross cut shredder." from Amazon.

It does a great job with our 20# weight papers and even shreds credit cards. I found its best to not shred over 10 pages with it, before giving it a rest. I stack my papers to shred, then whenever I walk by it randomly I just shred 10 pages. Then I shred some more the next time I walk by it 20 min later, two hours, or the next day. .

And I run a "lube" sheet through it now and then, a big help on getting the paper shard's to drop off of the cutters. . Plus, running the unit in reverse for about 10 seconds after about 20 pages are shredded, helps to clear the cutter wheels also.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:00 PM

7,958 posts, read 5,063,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Have a bonfire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
We have an outdoor fireplace and burn them. Much quicker than shredding.
Exactly. This may be impractical for people living in apartments/condos, but for those in conventional detached housing, even a modest sturdy metal receptacle in the back-yard can serve wonderfully as incineration-point. As a bonus, there's the satisfaction of sending one's records to irreversible finality, and this time of year, the most welcome additional warmth.

Literally committing detritus to the flames, offers an overwhelming satisfaction and sense of personal aplomb.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,827,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
Our waste company in Delaware has requested that shredded paper not be put in recycle bin. Apparently it gums up the conveyers. The best thing to do is get a new shredder (they're relatively cheap), only shred a couple of pages at a time. Fill up one shredder bin a day until it's gone.
I agree with this approach. My dad had nearly 10 feet of shredding to do a few years ago, he decided to finally do it after my mom passed away. I know it was nearly 10 feet because he had two stacks in his closet and both were nearly five feet high. He kept stuff that was pretty strange, such as utility bills all the way back to the 1980's, and envelopes from marketers that just had their name and address on the envelope. I told him a lot of this can just be tossed, especially since these are from places he hasn't lived in awhile, but he insisted on shredding everything. Once his mind is made up...

So I divided it into 10 approximately equal piles and just did one pile each day. You can't shred too much with an at home shredder, but I was able to do each pile in about five or six different periods, taking at least an hour between shreddings to allow the shredding machine to cool off. It took awhile, but I got it all done.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,120,086 times
When I burned my old papers, it made so much thick, fluffy ash that flew everywhere, I swore I'd never do that again. It wasn't even a windy day.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:50 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,547,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I just checked a few weeks ago with Office Depot. They were $1.00 a pound. Those UPS or FedEx Stores also do it. You bring it in and they send it to a shredding company.
Let's see . . . I'm going to bring in a bunch of important papers (otherwise why would I bother shredding them). I'm going to hand them over to a clerk whom I don't know. She or he is going to send them further on to some establishment I don't know.

What could *possibly* go wrong?

That is *not* secure, no matter how largely or loudly they proclaim it is.

What's secure is some arrangement where you either shred yourself or watch someone else shred your papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement