U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 PM

8,984 posts, read 7,758,201 times

Advertisements

Recently shredded all information about prior house purchases/sales. Only kept info on present home, a new build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 PM

3,990 posts, read 2,547,661 times
I just throw stuff in the trash

Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 PM

5,209 posts, read 671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Let's see . . . I'm going to bring in a bunch of important papers (otherwise why would I bother shredding them). I'm going to hand them over to a clerk whom I don't know. She or he is going to send them further on to some establishment I don't know.

What could *possibly* go wrong?

That is *not* secure, no matter how largely or loudly they proclaim it is.

What's secure is some arrangement where you either shred yourself or watch someone else shred your papers.
I took my documents to Staples and there was the option of putting them into their shredder myself or have the store clerk do it for me while I watched.

I went through a massive shredding project when I moved. I spent a week shredding old documents--AND THEN found ANOTHER file box filled with really old docs. Those are the ones I took to Staples.

I regularly shred my junk mail but not necessarily the whole document. I just tear out my name and address and any pertinent account information, shred that up and recycle the rest.

I once attended a shredding event sponsored by a local church. The shredding is done there right on the spot so there's little danger of the information being compromised. This explains it better than I can, including the necessary precautions:

https://www.identityforce.com/blog/c...ng-events-safe

Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,938,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Have a bonfire.
Exactly!

I just torched 14 full boxes of documents, old tax papers, business related paperwork, old real estate transactions, old checks and prescription pads I don't use anymore. Did some in my wood burning fireplace and the rest out in back in my fire pit. That old family photo collection I've schlepped around for 15 years went, too. That stuff went real fast using that method.

I still have my Copperhead cross cut shredder. The last good one they made for consumers (costed about $100 some 15 - 20 years ago). I treat that treasure with kid gloves.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:13 AM

3,906 posts, read 1,660,529 times
I tried putting old bills in my compost heap, but they didn't decompose unless they were all separated.

We burned some, but it sounds like you've got a lot. Probably take out the whole neighborhood if you tried to burn them.

Research mobile shredders in your area; make sure they shred onsite (some ship the papers overseas).

Old 05-16-2019, 05:34 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I think the many pages are too heavy for me to try to take them somewhere. Even getting them all out into the car would be hard. It would take many separate trips. Otherwise I would take them to a place where you can get them shredded.
The shredders will come to you.

https://www.shrednations.com/

Old 05-16-2019, 06:02 AM

10,312 posts, read 4,881,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I just checked a few weeks ago with Office Depot. They were $1.00 a pound. Those UPS or FedEx Stores also do it. You bring it in and they send it to a shredding company.
I would be a little nervous about so many people handling my personal stuff. We have a large shredder at work but even that will only do about 10 pages at a time. My shredder at home takes 3-4 pages at once. I usually tackle this job in January but didn't this year so I'm doing mine a little at a time right now to make room in the file cabinet.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:30 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,039,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Some drop off sites have locked bins. You can throw the paperwork in through the slot. Or let the clerk do it.
At my local Staples (and probably most of them), the locked bin is behind the counter. The store's policy is to have the counter clerk put the documents in the bin while you're there so you can see the docs going in.
That said, my favorite method of disposal is burning them in the Weber :-) Even better, get as many docs as you can online so you only have to deal with clutter on your hard drive.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 AM

600 posts, read 161,620 times
Check with your local law enforcement agencies.

Our local police department has a Shed A Thon four times a year to prevent identity theft. You are allowed up to five regular size file boxes.

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 05-16-2019 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 AM

5,396 posts, read 21,407,363 times
I could not find an easy cheap solution so I just dumped a car full in a recycle bin. Several years and no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement