U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM

6,069 posts, read 9,533,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Some drop off sites have locked bins. You can throw the paperwork in through the slot. Or let the clerk do it.
I'm no more confident with "locked bins" than I am with big words such as "secure". Words are cheap. Bins are breakable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 AM

600 posts, read 161,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I could not find an easy cheap solution so I just dumped a car full in a recycle bin. Several years and no issues.
If you do not destroy documents with vital information on them (SSN, account #s, etc) you are setting yourself up for identity theft (see Thread about Stolen ID in this Forum section).

By just putting your sensitive documents in your community's recycle bin, you risk:

1. someone retrieving them while bin is still sitting at the curb;
2. the documents flying out of the truck or dump site;
3. someone at the recycling facility (there a people at the conveyor belts that check the load for unrecyclable materials) retrieving the documents.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM

2,624 posts, read 2,580,444 times
We are on our second shredder, the first one lasted 13-14 years and we're into year 10-11 with the current one, a Fellowes we paid $79 for at Costco (cross cut model). It will easily do 9-10 pages at a time. We generate one typical garbage bag of shredding a year. Last year we had three bags, the usual plus I shredded a lot of old (25 year+) tax and property docs, and estate docs from parents' estates that we administered.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM

6,256 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Some of you people seem to be lost in time.

I went as close as possible to 100% paperless quite a few years ago when I traveled full time. That includes financial and bank statements, utility bills, tax records, medical records, etc. Only some Federal agencies seem to be also behind the times. I think I still get a couple of paper statements from Social Security. Of course, these are the same folks who issue a highly important ID card on a piece of cheap paper without any picture or other form of identification. I do have a packet of papers from buying a house a few years ago, but even then most of the documentation was electronic.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 AM

2,243 posts, read 1,106,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

The ones I shredded/burned had been in storage for about 15 years. Probably the same for lots of other people in this thread.

I've been paperless for years, but sometimes get paper medical reports from doctors, and a few other paper items here and there, that I shred.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
We are on our second shredder, the first one lasted 13-14 years and we're into year 10-11 with the current one, a Fellowes we paid $79 for at Costco (cross cut model). It will easily do 9-10 pages at a time. We generate one typical garbage bag of shredding a year. Last year we had three bags, the usual plus I shredded a lot of old (25 year+) tax and property docs, and estate docs from parents' estates that we administered.
I have an Amazon confetti type shredder I got maybe ten years ago. It's supposed to do ten sheets but can't handle that many any more. I will probably just do it slowly. I'm not moving so there's no great rush, just a wish to get rid of the stuff before it attracts termites. If this shredder dies, I think I can get a replacement for less than the mobile people would charge to come over an hour outside of town. One advantage to being retired is things can be done slowly over time, with patience.

Somebody did suggest I put cardboard boxes of papers outside in the back of my yard and let the termites have at them. LOL

Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM

7,149 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

I went as close as possible to 100% paperless quite a few years ago when I traveled full time. That includes financial and bank statements, utility bills, tax records, medical records, etc. Only some Federal agencies seem to be also behind the times. I think I still get a couple of paper statements from Social Security. Of course, these are the same folks who issue a highly important ID card on a piece of cheap paper without any picture or other form of identification. I do have a packet of papers from buying a house a few years ago, but even then most of the documentation was electronic.
Well, congratulations on having a tidy uncomplicated life. If the OP is shredding paper there's a reason. It is no longer needed. Maybe they are making the very transition you are crowing about. It might have taken 10 years before those records became obsolete. You may be electronic now, but that doesn't mean other entities are. Many records kept long term were originally on paper or have original signatures that matter. Not everyone will accept a digital image of a signature or a document.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM

7,149 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I have an Amazon confetti type shredder I got maybe ten years ago. It's supposed to do ten sheets but can't handle that many any more. I will probably just do it slowly. I'm not moving so there's no great rush, just a wish to get rid of the stuff before it attracts termites. If this shredder dies, I think I can get a replacement for less than the mobile people would charge to come over an hour outside of town. One advantage to being retired is things can be done slowly over time, with patience.

Somebody did suggest I put cardboard boxes of papers outside in the back of my yard and let the termites have at them. LOL
For a bigger one-time job like this doing the shredding another way will probably be worth it. You said you were in a more rural area. I'd still check with the local landfill or recycling services, maybe even a business or local government office to see what options or events might be coming up. There might be a local conservation group who could even help you transport the paper to an event.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,307,586 times
You are over thinking this. Just shred them a little at a time.

People have this problem because they put the shredder away. They keep it in a closet or someplace and never bother to get it out.

Put in on a table in a spare bedroom or wherever and LEAVE IT THERE. I get my mail and walk to the shredder and get rid of most of the mail the day it comes. If you pay your bills online you don't need to keep too much of anything especially utility bills that have been paid, credit card statements, or really much of anything. You can always go back to those online.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,324,391 times
My city just had a shred day. I just had to load the trunk of my car, they unloaded it. They had several mobile shredders right there. Waited in line and popped the trunk, super easy. It was in conjunction with the food bank. Not mandatory, but two cans of food or more appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement