U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 03:22 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,652,500 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get my metabolism back up to speed, and one of my friends told me sitting in a sauna for 20 minutes a day had worked for her. Her theory is it relaxes your veins, and the increased blood flow helps kick start the metabolism.

We happen to have a sauna at my gym, so I figured why not try it? I've sat in there 3 times now, and it's been an eye opening experience to a whole new world of things some seniors like to do. And yes, by the way, so far it does indeed seem to be giving me more energy.

What has intrigued me is the number of seniors who use it. I thought I would mostly be in there alone, but instead there are usually 5-6 other ladies my age sitting there, cracking jokes about life and men and how we come to the gym to escape the heat and then we all sit around inside a sauna. It made me wonder, is this a common thing for the rest of you? If so, what benefits have you gotten from it?

Is it just about relaxation, or are you also getting health benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 03:30 PM

244 posts, read 218,802 times
67 y/o male. I prefer the steam room over the sauna. I’m not a fan of the dry heat. After my workout at the local Y, it’s 5-10 minutes in the steam, then an easy shave, shower, and I’m set for the day.

I just feel much better, and I’m ready for the rest of the day, after a nice steam.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:57 PM

899 posts, read 462,394 times
Though they are selling a product, most of what they say is exactly what I've experienced. I'm not sure of the Alzheimer's part though.

https://www.finnleo.com/pages/health-and-wellness

Old 05-20-2019, 04:05 PM

908 posts, read 208,708 times
some running experts I follow have recommended doing calisthenics in the sauna in order to improve fitness ---haven't tried it.....I did try some yoga poses in there and wore myself out quickly (consider myself in very good shape - ran 10 miles yesterday).....I imagine the heat really improves muscle flexibility, so I may opt to return....

Old 05-20-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
some running experts I follow have recommended doing calisthenics in the sauna in order to improve fitness ---haven't tried it.....I did try some yoga poses in there and wore myself out quickly (consider myself in very good shape - ran 10 miles yesterday).....I imagine the heat really improves muscle flexibility, so I may opt to return....

LOL talk about hot yoga!

Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 6,320,879 times
I didn’t know using a sauna is that helpful, I only use it when we go to a nice hotel in Hawaii.
But I have high metabolism anyway. My daughter takes honey and raw turmeric(grown from my garden) and she said it’s a big boost to her energy level.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:48 AM

^^ Didn't realize people eat tumeric raw from their own garden. Does she chop it up and put it in a salad?

Old 05-21-2019, 04:37 AM

4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
As far as a REGULAR sauna melting away poubds by kick starting the metabolism, i dont know.

I was told at the pain center their INFRARED sauna would do that and melt away pounds.

Im not sure what the difference is, and they wanted too much money per visit to try their infrared sauna and its not covered by insurance

I lost 75 pounds after i was told i turned diabetic. The first 30 pounds im sure was water weight as i used to have an unquenchable thirst, part of pre and post diabetes. Then i got stuck at where i am now, and still need to lose about 50 pounds. I cant exercise much due to health ( for example running is out as i have 2 bad knees, and walking is a chore with my cane).
My diet has changed drastically, thats what caused the weight loss experienced so far.

Best to all....

Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 AM

Any time I hear something will "melt away" pounds, my eyes start rolling. Which is another exercise, I suppose. Guess that happened for me at first, too, though it's easy to forget that when I started trying to lose weight it wasn't that hard. Those were the days! Now there's no such thing as pounds melting away, no matter what I do.

Weight loss for me is important and I'm still putting a lot of time and effort into it (although lately I've been tempted to just accept that I may not ever lose all the weight my doctor wishes I would). After 60, it's hard--even when you cut your diet down to almost nothing, eliminate all the fun foods and carbs, and mostly eat just produce. I've never known any of my pounds to "melt away" but chipping away at them every day seems to help. Slowly, though. Very slowly. I'll do the sauna thing for a little while. If it helps chip away, then every little bit helps.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
You can lose weight in the sauna, but you're just sweating out water - maybe a small amount of extra calories in the process if metabolism increases from the increased temperature. Athletes get in the sauna when cutting weight.

Personally, I think it the sweating then cooling off makes my skin a bit softer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement