U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM
 
3,316 posts, read 640,659 times
Reputation: 2287

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Ageism is going to be a massive problem going forward.

Several years back, I was interviewed for a position where I was explicitly asked how I'd feel being the oldest member of the team and managed by people younger than me. I don't think I was even 30 then.

People are living longer, but being ejected from the labor force earlier.
I resigned my position at age 48, and my boss asked me if I knew of anyone to recommend as a replacement, but he said he wanted "someone in their 30s."


There were no witnesses to that. Dang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2019, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Reputation: 10162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Those 12 examples seem pretty generic and inane to be truthful. I’m not thin-skinned enough to take offense at some and I wouldn’t accept others being done to me without a challenge. Perhaps having a sense of humor helps too, it’s hard to take some of those examples seriously.

I saw blatant sexism in the workplace as a female and while it wasn’t fair, I didn’t let it affect my self worth. I was a prima donna, excellent at what I did and outspoken because I knew my worth. I was called a man-hater because I didn’t conform. I felt no need to waste my time disabusing an idiot of their opinion. I grew up as a tom boy and I knew from early on I could do anything a boy could, and often better. I also knew there were people better than me of either sex: I was and am a realist.

I haven’t felt devalued or ignored as an older person. Maybe I’m not old enough yet living here in a retirement town and I’m flying under the radar because there are so many people much older than I am at 65.

I never worried I was “less than”, I knew better and that’s all that matters in the end. I don’t see that changing.

Nicely said



I agree with all your points, and especially about the inanity of those particular examples. Lightweight stuff, for the most part, and life is too short to get upset about most of those things.

Having said that, ageism is a real problem. In fact, I wish articles would spend more time addressing the real issues, instead of getting upset that someone uses the term "senior moment" or someone else throws a party and puts up black balloons.

This is what I consider the real issue of ageism: No matter how skilled you may be, if you need to find a new job after 50 you'll find it's increasingly difficult, and for some people impossible. And some people who planned to retire at a certain age find out the hard way that their company had different plans and they don't have a job just because they have gotten older. That's a problem.


On a side note, I'm not sure why anger management was brought up in the title of this thread. It's good to discuss the issue, but that seemed a bit dramatic.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 05-21-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
17,848 posts, read 54,121,626 times
Reputation: 30290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Nicely said



I agree with all your points, and especially about the inanity of those particular examples. Lightweight stuff, for the most part, and life is too short to get upset about most of those things.

Having said that, ageism is a real problem. In fact, I wish articles would spend more time addressing the real issues, instead of getting upset that someone uses the term "senior moment" or someone else throws a party and puts up black balloons.

This is what I consider the real issue of ageism: No matter how skilled you may be, if you need to find a new job after 50 you'll find it's increasingly difficult, and for some people impossible. And some people who planned to retire at a certain age find out the hard way that their company had different plans and they don't have a job just because they have gotten older. That's a problem.


On a side note, I'm not sure why anger management was brought up in the title of this thread. It's good to discuss the issue, but that seemed a bit dramatic.
Bluntly, you have cherry-picking insurance companies to blame for that. The linking of personal health insurance to employers led to a decimation of real marketplace conditions. Once the insurance companies could grab a mass of workers as a block and have less liability, rates went up for individuals. The side effect was the culling of employees with health issues and those getting on in years. The rates for an entire company can go up when there are one or two costly employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 03:03 PM
 
6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Reputation: 12710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Nicely said



.....

This is what I consider the real issue of ageism: No matter how skilled you may be, if you need to find a new job after 50 you'll find it's increasingly difficult, and for some people impossible. And some people who planned to retire at a certain age find out the hard way that their company had different plans and they don't have a job just because they have gotten older. That's a problem.
.....
That has not been my experience. If you work where knowledge, experience and skills are important, those should increase with time and make the individual more in demand. I think the problem is that many people fail to work towards improving their skills. Many just settle into a job and expect it to last forever. Jobs change. Different knowledge, experience and skills become important. It is the individual's responsibility to make themselves employable. Don't expect companies to do that for you.

I had great job offers even years after I retired and I know a lot of others with the same experiences.

Last edited by jrkliny; 05-21-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 03:13 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 1,094,492 times
Reputation: 9061
Sexism, always.

I've noticed that young people smile at me more now that I'm old, guess you could call that ageism, but it's not a terrible thing. Other than that, just odd little things, like when my niece thought it was cute and funny when I told her my husband and I were watching some movie that had a lot of sex and drugs in it, can't recall the name of it, but apparently she must have thought we'd be shocked at the sex and drugs in the movie. That cracked me up. I haven't been in the position of needing to look for a job as an old person, but I would imagine it would cause a problem in getting hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Reputation: 10162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

I had great job offers even years after I retired and I know a lot of others with the same experiences.

Very glad to hear this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Reputation: 10162
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
when my niece thought it was cute and funny when I told her my husband and I were watching some movie that had a lot of sex and drugs in it, can't recall the name of it, but apparently she must have thought we'd be shocked at the sex and drugs in the movie.

Yeah, that is pretty funny. Especially when you consider how many of us came of age in the 60s. Sex and drugs and rock and roll is nothing new to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I hate when they try to make older folks look "cute" or say they act so cute etc. I don't know why that bugs me.

I guess i should stop with the funny birthday cards then? lol
Sort of along those lines I dislike to hear age mentioned when talking about accomplishments in situations in which are would not be mentioned it the person were young.

Also things like, "Grandmother pulls neighbor's child from burning house."

Would she not have saved the child if she weren't a grandma? Why Would it even be relevant? I remember seeing a story on the news a while back where such an incident was reported. The reporter tried to emphasize "grandma." The trouble was, she wasn't, she never had kids. She finally told him so.

I suppose that's instead of saying, "Old lady saves kid from burning house," but why bring age into it at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 03:23 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Reputation: 9808
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That has not been my experience. If you work where knowledge, experience and skills are important, those should increase with time and make the individual more in demand. I think the problem is that many people fail to work towards improving their skills. Many just settle into a job and expect it to last forever. Jobs change. Different knowledge, experience and skills become important. It is the individual's responsibility to make themselves employable. Don't expect companies to do that for you.

I had great job offers even years after I retired and I know a lot of others with the same experiences.
Yeap, especially after you retire and don’t need money. Some headhunter just called my husband this week. My sister is going to be 65 soon, she got a job offer last year. She’s an accountant. They couldn’t find anybody at her level. Granted she’s now no longer director of anything, just a senior accountant. She refused to get promoted to manager level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Reputation: 10162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sort of along those lines I dislike to hear age mentioned when talking about accomplishments in situations in which are would not be mentioned it the person were young.

Also things like, "Grandmother pulls neighbor's child from burning house."

Would she not have saved the child if she weren't a grandma? Why Would it even be relevant? I remember seeing a story on the news a while back where such an incident was reported. The reporter tried to emphasize "grandma." The trouble was, she wasn't, she never had kids. She finally told him so.

I suppose that's instead of saying, "Old lady saves kid from burning house," but why bring age into it at all?

Point taken (Although as a former firefighter, I had a little bit of a chuckle with your example. Actually, I can see the point of noting the age of the hero in that particular circumstance. While it'salways impressive when someone pulls a child from a burning house, it's especially impressive if that person has additional physical challenges, such as many senior citizens have. Smoke inhalation is much harder on a senior, and pulling a child out of a fire takes some physical strength. Same would be true if the hero was a child, or on crutches, etc. When a 7 year old rescues someone, that's noteworthy, for example.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top