U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,641,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You've read a few articles.

Newbie and I have lived it.

Ageism is not a problem in Silicon Valley and neither is sexism, as much as certain groups would like to make it into one.

If you wish to dismiss and shut down any discussion on ageism based on the belief I’ve only read a “ few articles” so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:03 AM

196 posts, read 31,599 times
The one I hate most is assuming not computer or tech savvy. I have been using cutting edge tech since I was in my 20s and have had a hand in design, test and installation of many R&D projects into production. I also managed many large tech projects for years before I left work. When I left we still had some significantly older than me working on some of the projects.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 AM

15,211 posts, read 8,518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'd be happy to reply after you post some selfies.

Just kidding.

Sort of.
What exactly are you saying? That OP's feelings of experiencing sexism and ageism are purely due to an inferior appearance? Yeah, that's so much better and more appropriate.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:40 AM

15,211 posts, read 8,518,332 times
Quote:
Really? Are you speaking from experience? Because DH could have stayed at his company as long as he wanted. He didn't have to retire at 68.

We had another friend who was still working -- because it was fun -- at 75.

There's no pressure on our other friends to retire, either, and they're about to hit the big 6-0.

There's a research institute that is well-known for keeping on superannuated employees.

As far as sexism goes, I never experienced any. (Really!) Most of the guys I worked with were happy to see a woman had been hired and the rest didn't care one way or the other. I could do the work, that's all that mattered.
I've never understand why, just because someone hasn't experienced something directly, that they feel the need to cast doubt that the phenomena exists at all. And manages to cast aspersions on those who do experience it.

But yes, everyone has an opinion... and their own experiences.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:15 AM

2,981 posts, read 1,010,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What exactly are you saying? That OP's feelings of experiencing sexism and ageism are purely due to an inferior appearance? Yeah, that's so much better and more appropriate.
That sure is what it sounded like to me, too. I'm exceptionally tall (6'3" in high school), bookish, intellectual, feminist, so naturally I was tormented unmercifully in school. So I'm admittedly a trifle sensitive.

Men can experience ageism and even sexism, but rarely both. It's takes a special kind of sensibility to get what I'm referring to, but it's really not a proper subject of jokes.

I have a couple of really long threads on bullying from some time ago in the Psychology forum. This is not the place to start that subject, but ageism/sexism and bullying are related. Making fun of someone is a way of controlling and diminishing them.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:49 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Really? Are you speaking from experience? Because DH could have stayed at his company as long as he wanted. He didn't have to retire at 68.

We had another friend who was still working -- because it was fun -- at 75.

There's no pressure on our other friends to retire, either, and they're about to hit the big 6-0.

There's a research institute that is well-known for keeping on superannuated employees.

As far as sexism goes, I never experienced any. (Really!) Most of the guys I worked with were happy to see a woman had been hired and the rest didn't care one way or the other. I could do the work, that's all that mattered.
Are they working at the sexy household names like Apple, Google, Facebook, or Netflix? I think there's a big difference between those types of companies and places designing things that are much more under the radar.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 AM

12,107 posts, read 6,687,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Are they working at the sexy household names like Apple, Google, Facebook, or Netflix? I think there's a big difference between those types of companies and places designing things that are much more under the radar.
Such as? I'd say retirement age is beyond cheerleader popularity contest and more about substance, hopefully.

Besides, who wants to break a hip going down that slide. (Another "ageist" quote). lol, no snowflake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Glzoslt1w

Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,641,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I've never understand why, just because someone hasn't experienced something directly, that they feel the need to cast doubt that the phenomena exists at all. And manages to cast aspersions on those who do experience it.

But yes, everyone has an opinion... and their own experiences.
Or the presumption one hasn't experience in that arena

Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Such as? I'd say retirement age is beyond cheerleader popularity contest and more about substance, hopefully.

Besides, who wants to break a hip going down that slide. (Another "ageist" quote). lol, no snowflake.
Those are the big, marquee names that pop up in the best places to work list. They're well known. I'm sure there are plenty of excellent companies to work for that fly perfectly under the radar.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 AM

2,173 posts, read 531,207 times
On this same Retirement forum, there's this thread: Senior Memory Farts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or