Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

I recognize that this subject does not feel significant to many people, but it bothers me to a degree. I feel like I've been struggling against sexism my entire life; the sense that I'm being perceived as "less than" because I'm female. And now that I'm nearing retirement, ageism is being added on. See:

12 examples of everyday ageism - StarTribune.com

Anyone else feel this double-whammy, entering retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Not sexism but definatly ageism. I am aware I'm old, not agile, cant even walk very good anymore. have to hang on the hand rail going up and for sure going down stairs. Look old and no one likes that. Although at church where I dress nice thin pretty women often smile and say hello. I think they see that I'm still active and they like that.
Yes no one likes to be old.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Ageism is going to be a massive problem going forward.

Several years back, I was interviewed for a position where I was explicitly asked how I'd feel being the oldest member of the team and managed by people younger than me. I don't think I was even 30 then.

People are living longer, but being ejected from the labor force earlier.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
I hate when they try to make older folks look "cute" or say they act so cute etc. I don't know why that bugs me.

I guess i should stop with the funny birthday cards then? lol

Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I recognize that this subject does not feel significant to many people, but it bothers me to a degree. I feel like I've been struggling against sexism my entire life; the sense that I'm being perceived as "less than" because I'm female. And now that I'm nearing retirement, ageism is being added on. See:

12 examples of everyday ageism - StarTribune.com

Anyone else feel this double-whammy, entering retirement?
Perhaps a few hints here and there. But I disagree with the article, partly because some of those things are true and they are associated with aging and it's not something that can just be brushed off as ageism (senior moments for one). I also think that if you're going to embrace certain cosmetics and creams as 'ageism', then you probably need to embrace all of them as ageism, and a good many of them as sexism, because they imply that a woman isn't worthwhile without using products to enhance her looks.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:22 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Can’t read the article - says you have to be a subscriber.

**Got to it on my pc. Boy there are a lot of ads on that site!!!

Yeah I’ve never liked any of that patronizing crap...even when I was really young. I think it’s a bit offensive.

As for older people being technologically inept, well that is quite often true. My parents are great examples of that. But those of us that are at the other end of the spectrum (worked in tech all our lives) I just don’t think anything about it since it simply does not apply to me.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-21-2019 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Those 12 examples seem pretty generic and inane to be truthful. I’m not thin-skinned enough to take offense at some and I wouldn’t accept others being done to me without a challenge. Perhaps having a sense of humor helps too, it’s hard to take some of those examples seriously.

I saw blatant sexism in the workplace as a female and while it wasn’t fair, I didn’t let it affect my self worth. I was a prima donna, excellent at what I did and outspoken because I knew my worth. I was called a man-hater because I didn’t conform. I felt no need to waste my time disabusing an idiot of their opinion. I grew up as a tom boy and I knew from early on I could do anything a boy could, and often better. I also knew there were people better than me of either sex: I was and am a realist.

I haven’t felt devalued or ignored as an older person. Maybe I’m not old enough yet living here in a retirement town and I’m flying under the radar because there are so many people much older than I am at 65.

I never worried I was “less than”, I knew better and that’s all that matters in the end. I don’t see that changing.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-21-2019 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 09:35 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I'm barely turning 60, but I'm getting old and realize it. Honestly, I don't expect people to treat me any differently. What I have experienced in the last couple of years are people showing a little bit more respect such as calling me sir, holding a door open for me and so on. I don't mind that at all as it shows courtesy.

As per the dictionary definition of "ageism" meaning:
"prejudice or discrimination against a particular age-group and especially the elderly", I haven't experienced it. What I won't do is go through my senior years with a chip on my shoulder because the 20 year olds at work don't ask me to go beer drinking with them. I couldn't care less.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:41 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Can’t read the article - says you have to be a subscriber.

**Got to it on my pc. Boy there are a lot of ads on that site!!!

Yeah I’ve never liked any of that patronizing crap...even when I was really young. I think it’s a bit offensive.

As for older people being technologically inept, well that is quite often true. My parents are great examples of that. But those of us that are at the other end of the spectrum (worked in tech all our lives) I just don’t think anything about it since it simply does not apply to me.
IMO, the technology inept thing is more for Silents and some of the oldest Boomers. Current retirees in office settings have likely worked with computers and such.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:42 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Well, the younger crowd thinks I’m a cool mom(comparing to their parents), the older crowd thinks I’m no older than 40. I’ve got to love the people I hang around with.
Not to say I never experienced sexism or ageism. I just shrugged them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement