U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:46 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Why is CBD oil so expensive? I would like to try it, but not at those prices.
It's basically a concentrate. The higher quality the source material, the more expensive the CBD. There are CBD stores all around my local area popping up in strip malls and other low rent places peddling the cheap stuff.

There is a local shop here that grows their own organic hemp in Jonesborough. You have a choice of "full spectrum" tincture with .03% THC or THC-free. Full spectrum is about twice the price as THC-free, but a small amount of THC supposedly "activates" the effects of the CBD.

I was on the full spectrum CBD oil for about four weeks. I bought the local stuff. I definitely think it helped with sleep without the groggy feelings I get from something like melatonin. I know some bodybuilders who use it and swear by it for soreness/pain relief. The local shop sells hemp coffee, hemp flour, topicals, and even animal products with CBD.

I don't think CBD is all snake oil, but I don't think it's some sort of cure-all either. If you're buying the stuff at the gas station, it's likely to be ineffective. The quality seems to be all over the place with no controls and everyone rushing to cash in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 10:00 AM

15,198 posts, read 4,018,099 times
Yeah, if one lives in a Police Drug War state they can get get a couple vape pens from a friend and that's a year's supply easily.....and then things are discreet and don't smell.

I wouldn't move just for that reason...but at the same time it's sometimes indicative of other "freedoms" or lack of.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:38 AM

315 posts, read 158,754 times
My husband likes the indica edible cookies for help with sleeping. Prior to legalization in California he would use Tylenol PM, but he much prefers the way the cookies make him feel and the fact he does not wake up groggy in the morning. His doctor tried to give him Ambien a couple of years ago when H said he was having trouble sleeping, but he said no thanks. I like the edible gummies occasionally. They do make me feel "high" like I have had a couple glasses of wine which is great for a Saturday night at home. I also use a thc/cbd hand cream that helps with stiff joints. I wish it was legal in all states as I think a more natural solution to sleep problems and aches and pains is so much better than phamaceuticals in many cases.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:11 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I use a number of different products, mostly edibles that come in capsule, gummi or mint form. I don't smoke because it's too harsh on my throat, though I do use vape pens. The advantages of edibles are that they're discreet and there's no smell. The advantage of vaping is that you get instant relief, which can last for up to two hours. Edibles last even longer, up to four hours, but the effects also take longer to kick in because the THC has to be processed by your digestive system rather than going directly into your blood stream via the lungs.

If you're new to edibles, it's important to be careful and start with a small dose, 2.5 mg or so. You may not feel anything for 45 minutes, and it can take to 2 hours to feel the full effect. Newbies who don't realize this can easily overdose. They think it's not working and take some more, and then WHAM! Too much cannabis can be really uncomfortable. So go slow until you know what your tolerance level is.

I stick to indica strains because they are more relaxing than sativas. It's more of a whole body sensation than a head high like sativas, which can cause paranoia and anxiety in some people. Indicas work best for relaxation and sleep. My favorite strains are AC/DC (high CBD) and just about any strain that's not too high in THC. (The high-THC strains tend to be harsh and make me cough).

Why is CBD so expensive? I don't know, but I would imagine it's because refining CBD and separating it from the rest of the plant is an expensive and/or time-consuming process. I am hoping that the prices will come down when legalization goes nationwide.
The kids in my art class have been telling this yesterday.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:12 PM

16,417 posts, read 5,353,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm completely ignorant about this, but aren't vape cartridges potentially dangerous; don't they explode on occasion? And any kind of smoking may damage lung tissue, I believe. So much less dangerous than tobacco, but still.

All those "flavors," sounds to me like chemicals.
I believe that is an issue with Juul cartridges, which are flavored liquid tobacco. Cannabis vape cartridges don't have flavors added. The explosion issue is due to LIon batteries, which are also used in many other types of devices such as cell phones. These batteries do have the potential to explode, but it's rare, a one-in-a-million phenomenon, and these events are usually related to misuse of the device.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 PM

13,038 posts, read 6,230,078 times
OTOH, if you take prescription meds, it's a good idea to check to be sure that there won't be any negative interactions:

https://www.rxlist.com/marijuana/sup...m#Interactions

Old 05-22-2019, 04:22 PM

16,417 posts, read 5,353,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OTOH, if you take prescription meds, it's a good idea to check to be sure that there won't be any negative interactions:

https://www.rxlist.com/marijuana/sup...m#Interactions

Good point. Cannabis isn't a magic cure. It needs to be used with caution, and some people shouldn't use it at all.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,846,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm completely ignorant about this, but aren't vape cartridges potentially dangerous; don't they explode on occasion? And any kind of smoking may damage lung tissue, I believe. So much less dangerous than tobacco, but still.

All those "flavors," sounds to me like chemicals.
Quote:

https://onvaping.com/guide/beginners...juice-and-you/

First off you are mixing up vape batteries exploding with a cartridge. The vape batteries if used properly and properly made are mostly safe. There are some mishaps but generally non-life threatening.

If you look up ingredients to vape juice you will find a few types of combinations.

Reputable E Liquids Contain a Combination of These Ingredients:
Propylene Glycol (PG) and/or Vegetable Glycerin (VG) These are the two most common ingredients that you'll find in e liquid since they're used as the suspension agent for the flavorings and nicotine. ...
Non-Oil Food Grade Flavorings. ...
Nicotine.
This is for vaping in general and nicotine in particular for the answer. Vaping itself is too new to see if there are long term health risks but most studies say it is better than smoking. In both nicotine and THC vaping the effect is immediate upon inhale. So care needs to be taken for both. I do not vape nicotine but have a BIL that does instead of smoking cigarettes.

Outside of the unknowns about it so far I like what I have when I vape cannabis. There is no tell tale sign of any smell. Even the little puff of steam you exhale may have a slight smell but it don't linger.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 05-22-2019 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
My husband likes the indica edible cookies for help with sleeping. Prior to legalization in California he would use Tylenol PM, but he much prefers the way the cookies make him feel and the fact he does not wake up groggy in the morning. His doctor tried to give him Ambien a couple of years ago when H said he was having trouble sleeping, but he said no thanks. I like the edible gummies occasionally. They do make me feel "high" like I have had a couple glasses of wine which is great for a Saturday night at home. I also use a thc/cbd hand cream that helps with stiff joints. I wish it was legal in all states as I think a more natural solution to sleep problems and aches and pains is so much better than phamaceuticals in many cases.
That's my complaint with the sativa strains. I'm never looking to get "amped up" off smoking. Some of this stuff can get you more active.

I want something with a more relaxing feel, but that's not an option here in Jesusland where we can't pick and choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good point. Cannabis isn't a magic cure. It needs to be used with caution, and some people shouldn't use it at all.
Pistachios are generally healthy, but some people will have allergies, reactions, etc. Same concept applies. Use at your own risk.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
This is for vaping in general and nicotine in particular for the answer. Vaping itself is too new to see if there are long term health risks but most studies say it is better than smoking. In both nicotine and THC vaping the effect is immediate upon inhale. So care needs to be taken for both. I do not vape nicotine but have a BIL that does instead of smoking cigarettes.

Outside of the unknowns about it so far I like what I have when I vape cannabis. There is no tell tale sign of any smell. Even the little puff of steam you exhale may have a slight smell but it don't linger.
I've heard of some negative studies regarding vaping. Regardless, I don't see how it could be worse than smoking, and I don't see how the inhalation of anything like this is healthy.

I like to smoke a cigar - maybe once a month. That's a weekend night at home or rainy day pursuit for me. I generally keep a pack of Black and Mild, Milds at home or in the Jeep. A 5 pack of those will do me a month or two.

I only smoke cigars and probably not enough to matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement