U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,008,225 times

Advertisements

Newsflash: an expanded list of patients legally allowed to use weed passed the Senate in Texas today. Prior to today it was only allowed for peop!e with epilepsy but today was expanded to patients with MS, degenerative illnesses (degenerative osteoarthritis? I wonder), but not (I think?) PTSD.

Looks like it actually passed. I have no clue what happens next. Still a bit of a disappointment but definitely a step forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 12:37 AM

578 posts, read 169,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Better With Age: How Cannabis Improves Quality Of Life
https://herb.co/news/health/better-a...ulDoBK8EacIEuA

Marijuana is illegal in my state and I'm very law abiding, but I am considering a move now that my son has finished law school and is working. Wonder if having legal access is worth moving. I have degenerative osteoarthritis and a host of other ailments.

Also see:

11 Ways Cannabis Can Improve Your Life
https://herb.co/news/culture/11-ways...F8vJ8OTwKUIk44
I live in a state where it is legal. Legalization is still in its maturation stages. The dispensaries are usually in the rougher parts of town and more, in the worst parts of the rougher parts. It doesn't get rougher than that. It's dreadful because it's not fun to have to deal with all that crap.

Many friends in non-legal states just drive or take the train to the closest legal state and stock up for the whole year. no reason to leave your home unless you're up for an adventure.

not worth a move, but maybe only an occasional road trip. Always good to have a reason to take a road trip!

Old 05-23-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I live in a state where it is legal. Legalization is still in its maturation stages. The dispensaries are usually in the rougher parts of town and more, in the worst parts of the rougher parts. It doesn't get rougher than that. It's dreadful because it's not fun to have to deal with all that crap.

Many friends in non-legal states just drive or take the train to the closest legal state and stock up for the whole year. no reason to leave your home unless you're up for an adventure.

not worth a move, but maybe only an occasional road trip. Always good to have a reason to take a road trip!
I know you mean well, but what you're recommending is illegal. I would not for a moment take weed from a legal location and transport it across state lines like that. Prisons are full of people who thought they could get away with that. And even if you never got caught, it's ILLEGAL. Law abiding means you have respect for the law as a matter of ethics.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:27 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've heard of some negative studies regarding vaping. Regardless, I don't see how it could be worse than smoking, and I don't see how the inhalation of anything like this is healthy.

I like to smoke a cigar - maybe once a month. That's a weekend night at home or rainy day pursuit for me. I generally keep a pack of Black and Mild, Milds at home or in the Jeep. A 5 pack of those will do me a month or two.

I only smoke cigars and probably not enough to matter.

I have heard those studies as well but I look at the underlying study. They were out to prove those negative studies. What I have heard is they are still not enough facts yet to do that.

Your cigar smoking isn't a good thing and I will not legislate it on you. However you are right your 5 cigars a month probably isn't going to kill you. But.... there are studies of tobacco use that certainly proves it is hazardous.

I am not saying that cannabis is a miracle cure or the innocent weed many want to see. But what I am doing is trying to fight the "hit job" the US federal government and a few companies that saw cannabis as a possible threat to making money. They didn't want competition so they used all means at their disposal and created a furor surrounding weed. Put people in jail because they used cannabis.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:17 AM

563 posts, read 265,846 times
If Cannabis were legal in my state I'd buy it in some form other than to smoke.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 AM

Texas Senate Unanimously Approves Medical Marijuana Expansion Bill

Quote:
The version of the bill approved by the Senate would expand the list of conditions that qualify for the medicine to include all forms of epilepsy; seizure disorders; multiple sclerosis; spasticity; amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS; terminal cancer; autism and incurable neurodegenerative diseases. The bill also axes a requirement in current statute that says those wanting access to the medicine need the approval of two licensed neurologists, rather than one.
Wonder if "incurable neurodegenerative diseases" includes degenerative osteoarthritis.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:09 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,491,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Why is CBD oil so expensive? I would like to try it, but not at those prices.
Look for veterinary CBD, which is the same stuff, just not sold in the frou frou herbal shops. I had an old Labrador that was on large dose CBD pills from Innovet for a couple years before he died. Oils are also available.

For my personal use, I choose topical ointments. Right now my favorite is Ugli Butter, and they do mail order. I have serious arthritis in my shoulders, and the stuff really helps.

Naturulz - The Alternative Approach to Pain and Wellness

I have no connection to the company other than using their products. I found it at the checkout stand at the Farmer's Co-op.

If you try smoking weed, experiment with very small doses. While pot makes young people stupid, there is evidence it has the opposite effect in the elderly. Take one hit and wait half an hour. You may notice a real boost in mental acuity. In the old days the goal was to get as stoned as possible. The medicinal dose is much lower.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...in/?redirect=1

Old 05-23-2019, 12:13 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,491,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You mean at the federal levl? Do you have any sense when that might happen? What would that take?
Cultivation of industrial hemp is once again legal in the US. It doesn't contain THC. I don't know if it has CBD, but if it does then any product derived from industrial hemp would be legal on the federal level.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,138,587 times
I don't want to have anything to do with any of this. YMMV and this is just my choice but I will never change my mind.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:21 PM

16,415 posts, read 5,350,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I don't want to have anything to do with any of this. YMMV and this is just my choice but I will never change my mind.
That's fine. Some people don't like it, some people are allergic to it and some people don't want to associate themselves with it because of its Cheech and Chong hippie stoner image. This stigma in itself is probably enough to turn off people who are socially conservative and don't want to associate themselves with druggies.

But I do hope that, if it ever becomes legal where you are, that you will keep an open mind. Cannabis is a plant. Substances derived from plants are the basis of many pharmaceutical drugs we use today. For example, the foxglove plant produces digitalis, which is used for heart failure. Cannabis is no different. It has shown to give relief to people with chronic pain, cancer and seizures. I am sure that even more medical benefits will be discovered in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement