U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:59 PM

3,887 posts, read 1,651,610 times

Advertisements

We had planned to "rent around" but ran into some problems with landlords.
Some wouldn't consider social security income (apparently they can't attach it like wages), so we didn't have enough income for them to rent to us. They would not consider assets at all.

Most didn't want to rent for less than a year.

We don't have pets, and were willing to take an unfurnished place. I can only imagine how much smaller the rental pool would be.

We stayed at a few AirBnBs. Furnished and flexible, but expensive.

We considered buying a mobile home, then reselling when we left, but found a sublet from a couple that had to move. That worked out well. Not furnished, so we bought second hand furniture and sold it before moving on. We bought a new bed and sold that, too. We probably lost $250 on the furniture, considered it cheap rental cost.

Got to Tucson and started looking at rentals. The apartments looked like clones of the ones in Minnesota--beige and dark and boring.

That depressed us so much, we bought a mobile home on acreage. We used to make jokes about living in a trailer in the desert, now we're living the life!

If we decide to sell it in a year or so, we'll probably make money on the deal.

We've added a gate to the driveway and like the neighbors, so we feel comfortable leaving the house empty when we travel.

We're thinking about buying a travel trailer to travel in the summers. Maybe buy a lot on a lake somewhere.

Last edited by steiconi; 05-22-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,607,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
We bought a modest motorhome in the summer of 2014, then spent 2-1/2 years looking at many states and specific locations in the eastern 2/3rds of the states. We learned a huge amount, including the fact that my first choice, "place I've been looking forward to retiring to for decades" would of been a big mistake. The other interesting thing is that for all the cheerleaders out there, singing the praises of relocating to some hot retirement destination, there are many people already there, who will readily admit that they didn't do their homework, jumped on what they thought would be a sure ticket to happiness, and now regret their decision. Some hate where they are with a passion. Others are less disappointed, but really know that they are guilty of not looking before taking a giant leap, and probably wouldn't be where they are, if they had taken more time to see what else is out there.
Where did you end up? Sounds like you did a lot of homework before relocating. Very good advice.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,607,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We had planned to "rent around" but ran into some problems with landlords.
Some wouldn't consider social security income (apparently they can't attach it like wages), so we didn't have enough income for them to rent to us. They would not consider assets at all.
Very interesting information. Did you run into this in a particular city, or with certain LL? I'm asking, since I'm planning to relocate this summer (still researching my options) and I am retired and on SS + my investments.

I've lived in my current apartment for several years and they accepted assets (account statements) + credit check. I also spent a couple years in New England back in 2013-15, and rented two different places and they only cared about credit scores and background checks.

If SS benefits and an IRA, for example, aren't going to work for a LL, then they must only be renting to people who are working, not retirees. I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with LL who wouldn't rent based on SS and assets (city, large complexes, small complexes, etc). Thanks!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 AM

3,887 posts, read 1,651,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Very interesting information. Did you run into this in a particular city, or with certain LL? I'm asking, since I'm planning to relocate this summer (still researching my options) and I am retired and on SS + my investments.

I've lived in my current apartment for several years and they accepted assets (account statements) + credit check. I also spent a couple years in New England back in 2013-15, and rented two different places and they only cared about credit scores and background checks.

If SS benefits and an IRA, for example, aren't going to work for a LL, then they must only be renting to people who are working, not retirees. I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with LL who wouldn't rent based on SS and assets (city, large complexes, small complexes, etc). Thanks!
Rochester, MN. Large complex. We offered to pay the whole six months up front, but they wouldn't allow that. We had proof of cash in the bank, not in retirement accounts (we'd just sold our house).

We even had trouble with the sublet; the people on the original lease had to stay on the lease and we were classified as roommates.

Tucson, AZ. We didn't apply, just discussed it with rental agent who said they didn't think we'd be accepted.

I assume a private owner would be easier to work with, but there wasn't anything available at that time.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:42 AM

38,159 posts, read 14,910,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Floridian here. Always looking for the next retirement destination. Each summer I get out of Florida heat. Tomorrow heading for NC mountains. Last yr and year before Big Sky regions out west and Colorado, NM. RV trailer and solid tow vehicle. Checking off bucket list ie National Park visits while looking for possibilities for chapter 2 retirement. Colorado has been fav so far.
"Halfbacks" is a NC term for those who move to Florida from up north, change their minds about Florida and move halfway back to North Carolina to retire.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 AM

15,224 posts, read 8,523,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I would agree, short stays at a pet friendly hotel would be a better way to do it. It is very hard to find apartments when you have pets, especially on a short term basis.
Hotel stays work only for the pets....they really give the OP no true idea of the weather, community, doctors, amenities, traffic, etc. that 6 months would get them. If those things are important to assess, a more in-depth visit is warranted.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:30 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,865,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
For a while my DH and I have been checking out places to retire to. We definitely don't want to stay here for a multitude of reasons. On the other hand, we haven't found a place that meets all of our requirements... even though I don't believe we have a lot of requirements.

DH thinks we should try living in Sun City, AZ; Tellico Village, TN; Orlando, FL; and maybe one other place tbd. In Each place we would rent a furnished home for 6 months. We would rent a home because we have 2 dogs and they will be happier with a yard. Our furniture would be put in climate-controlled storage. During this time we would be living as though it was our permanent home so that we can see if this is where we want to be and we can compare where we are the most comfortable/happy and best meets our needs since none of the places meet all of them.

I see a number of downsides to this: (1) the length of time we would be nomadic and out of the housing market, (2) it sounds very tiring to move every 6 months and always be learning our way around and looking for new drs/vets/groomers etc.; (3) this could get expensive between 6 months of furnished rental and climate-controlled storage of furniture.

Does anyone see any other downsides? Does this sound like a good way to test the waters? My husband is looking forward to this, having been military he is used to moving a lot. I'm more of a find-my-place and stay-put type of person.

Your thoughts on this plan are welcome.
Couple of things to consider: Orlando is pretty much in the center of the state so it doesn't get the cooling ocean breezes and the traffic is a nightmare. Other than Miami I can't imagine anyplace in Florida I would hate more than living back in Orlando. There are a lot of nicer places in Florida. I loved it when we lived in Port Orange near Daytona but that was in 1990 so I don't know if it is still nice.

Some places are not going to do a 6 month lease especially with 2 dogs and a furnished house. I know nothing about Tennessee or Arizona so I'll let others help you there.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:02 AM

39,514 posts, read 2,983,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hotel stays work only for the pets....they really give the OP no true idea of the weather, community, doctors, amenities, traffic, etc. that 6 months would get them. If those things are important to assess, a more in-depth visit is warranted.
I think a month or 6 week in a hotel would give them plenty of ideas about the weather & traffic & community. Of course if they hole up in the room, it won't help, but they can still visit the community/senior centers etc & explore the drs.
If a person is not adaptable or has strict limits on weather, of course it is best to visit every season.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,559 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
When researching a new potential home, you need concentrated time to try ALL your planned activities and visit with officials / service organization. Hotel stays offer minimal guidance. Home stays offer volumes of information. (there is usually a 'profile' of host, so you can have a 'tailored' stay / information gathering along your lines of interest.)

Agree =
The pets might need to 'stay home?" or go to "boarding school" for a period of time.!

Our pets stayed home for the Yr we traveled overseas (and pets stayed home ALONE 10 of the last 14 days). I think our 'pets' (working farm animals) prefer us to be gone. They get to be their own bosses! They despise "people houses" ("Let me out of here!" they exclaim! "I wanna be FREE to explore and 'protect' and sleep under my favorite tree, and swim in the creek, whenever I want to!" )

Now... to find a place where the PETS will be happy... (I think they prefer to STAY PUT).

Ironically, lots of searching and research, THEN I did a 'retirement living cost analysis spreadsheet'. I clearly pointed us to STAY PUT. Maybe the pets rigged the Excel outcome For this season, they got a reprieve.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:34 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think a month or 6 week in a hotel would give them plenty of ideas about the weather & traffic & community. Of course if they hole up in the room, it won't help, but they can still visit the community/senior centers etc & explore the drs.
If a person is not adaptable or has strict limits on weather, of course it is best to visit every season.
I know we're all different in this respect. I couldn't nor would ever put out about $5,000 to stay in a hotel for about 4-6 weeks at about $120 per day which is about average for a decent hotel, nothing fancy. Then throw in food, a rental car and anything else you want to do during that period of time and you're approaching or exceeded 10 grand without airfare.
If you do this about 3 times for 3 different locations, that's a lot of money for some people. I know others don't think so, but I dare say it's out of bounds for most including myself. That money could be a down payment on a house or moving expenses.

Last edited by marino760; 05-23-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or