U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:24 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I know we're all different in this respect. I couldn't nor would ever put out about $5,000 to stay in a hotel for about 4-6 weeks at about $120 per day which is about average for a decent hotel, nothing fancy. Then throw in food, a rental car and anything else you want to do during that period of time and you're approaching or exceeded 10 grand without airfare.
We made a series of trips to our ultimate retirement destination, spaced out over different months. We always stayed in hotels, usually a week to 10 days. I have an aversion to staying in Airbnbs, plus here they are more expensive than hotels.

Quote:
If you do this about 3 times for 3 different locations, that's a lot of money for some people.

It's also a lot of work, which the OP is opposed to.

I think there's a big difference between being military and moving around frequently versus your wife having to organize three moves in 18 months. To be honest, it's not very considerate to make her do that when there are easier ways to winnow down the choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 AM

38,071 posts, read 14,878,695 times
Motorhome, 5th Wheel, RV is the way to go. Lots of decent used ones for sale for the cost of staying in hotels or furnished rentals. Sell it at the end and you could end up making money, or not losing very much.

Nearly every community has a nice RV park where dogs are fine. $500 to $1000 per month. $1500 for the rizty ones

The packing and unpacking is minimized. You can sleep in your own comfy bed. If you decide this is not the place for you, you are not committed to six months.

Furnished rentals tend to be either expensive, catering to business people, or dumps.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:45 PM

38,071 posts, read 14,878,695 times
I meant to write that furnished rentals tend to be either spendy, catering to business people and vacationers, or dumps, catering to those who have fallen upon hard times.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:23 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,081 times
Thank you for all of your suggestions.

We both feel that an RV would be difficult for us to drive. I would not feel comfortable even trying. Neither of us feel that staying in an RV in an RV park would be the same experience as living in the community that we want to be a part of. It would work if we just wanted to explore a state or area of the country but a hotel would work in that instance too.

The plan was to sell this house first, put our belongings in storage, and then rent the homes. Once we decided which community we wanted to live in we would start searching for a home to buy and have our furniture brought to us by moving van. The dogs need to be with us. They are treated like children. We would miss them and they would miss us, and it would not be kind to leave them for a year.

It is a shame that the idea works in theory but not in practice. Between the shortage of furnished rental homes that accept pets, the shortage of furnished rental homes that accept short-term leases, and the problems involved renting while unemployed/retired will make this plan impractical.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 PM

4,286 posts, read 6,865,190 times
The suggestion to get a large RV is also mine. In Florida trying to find someone who will take 2 dogs in a furnished rental is difficult. Also, if you rent for only up to 6 months the State charges an 11% tourist tax. You must stay at least 6 months and a day. If you come in Season- Dec through Easter- expect rates to jump AT LOT.

There are some nice places for large RV's. Lots of people here travel in them.

My area in Florida is not humid and hot all year-- gee I had all the windows and doors open till about 2 weeks ago. We don't have 100 degrees and we don't have snow. We do have the ocean and you can always take vacations.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times
You want a / need a house to accommodate the pets.?

Another possibility
Buy a cheap fixer and take the $500k income tax free gain every 24 months (you can do on multiple residences if you follow the rules for exemptions (like moving more than 40 miles away (for employment... take a pt job to qualify.)).

Many ways to 'skin-the-cat', but as a multi-state landlord, I would not want pets or short term renters (Costs me ~$5000 to change renters in my 'away' homes.

house / pet / plant sitting is entirely possible, as is a bargain rate on a extended stay, or Homeaway / VRBO (off-season).

These opportunities will not fall in your lap, you gotta dig for them.

A C-D relocation person found one near me (for free) last yr.
My SIL has been doing it for 35 yrs in Hawaii. (No house required, just house-sitting Full time.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:48 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You want a / need a house to accommodate the pets.?

Another possibility
Buy a cheap fixer and take the $500k income tax free gain every 24 months (you can do on multiple residences if you follow the rules for exemptions (like moving more than 40 miles away (for employment... take a pt job to qualify.)).

Many ways to 'skin-the-cat', but as a multi-state landlord, I would not want pets or short term renters (Costs me ~$5000 to change renters in my 'away' homes.

house / pet / plant sitting is entirely possible, as is a bargain rate on a extended stay, or Homeaway / VRBO (off-season).

These opportunities will not fall in your lap, you gotta dig for them.

A C-D relocation person found one near me (for free) last yr.
My SIL has been doing it for 35 yrs in Hawaii. (No house required, just house-sitting Full time.
2 things....if a big RV scares you, there are smaller ones.

Second, the idea of house sitting might work for you if they allow dogs. But as noted you might have to dig for them and it might only be available "off season " for when the owner is elsewhere.

I own a rental in Florida, and can tell you we much prefer to rent yearround to a tenant, not 6 mos. To much work between tenants. And when its vacant, theres usually no problem getting it rented again year round. Theres 2 units. We do not allow pets!!

Also rentals CAN require income OTHER than SS alone, charge you first last and deposit so 3x rent just to get the keys. Assets are often NOT counted, so if you have SS alone, but have $1m you still may not qualify, as a LL cant really go after cash in the bank if theres a problem. If you are renting for just 6 mos, you may need half the rent just to move in up front. Or the WHOLE rent up front, and if you want to leave early as you find the place is not fir you, good luck breaking a lease or if paid all in advance, good luck getting balance back.

An RV park is no different than hotels, as hotels tend to be clustered in a commercial area.

I dont know quite what you mean by an RV park or a hotel as not being in a "community ypu might want. To live in", as a rental you can afford may not be in tye better neighborhood either, and ones in the better neighborhood might not be affordable.

Airbnb, vrbo, and the like can be as expensive as as a hotel room. Even a monthly rental at a discount hotel at $50/night, wil be $1500/m. Rents may be only $800 for the area.

We dont rent furniture either, used to, but people would steal it, damage it , or tear it apart. In one instance the woman literally coeaned out every thing not bolted down including tge bolted down items...she took and sold ofc tte vanity and toilet!! And all the light fixtures and wall plates! Granted, YOU may not be that tenant, but a prospective LL wont know that.

If you have owned, youll have no LL references, so that doesnt help you where a LL is concerned either.

If you DO rent, DO NOT send any money until you are there boots on the ground, as people are sheisters who will list a vacant property as theirs, collect advanced money from you, when you get there you find out that you have no rights to the property and the person you paid to is unavailable or long gone. A guy locally put his house up for sale. He had people come knocking on tge door saying they had sent money in to rent the property, and he yad to call the police. Someone had listed the property as for rent, apparently assuming the property was empty and was collecting advanced rents and deposits from unsuspecting people. When they showed up instead they found the owner living there! They had been taken! So beware.

Also think about mail service. Id recommend a PO box in the area. Being new you might be targeted for mail theft if its not put through a slot in your locked door.

Not by any means saying it can't be done, but you might not find it as eazy and it may be more expensive than you think.
6 mos rentals can be hard to find.

Best of luck to you...whatever choice/s you make....

Last edited by galaxyhi; 05-24-2019 at 02:16 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 04:42 AM

19,774 posts, read 19,875,860 times
Florida is the land of the snowbird.
We found very nice homes to rent, first 3 years for 3 months, the next 2 years for 6 months.
The first 3 years was with a German Shepard, the last two with him and a Border Collie.
So, it'd definitely possible.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:48 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,521,066 times
Perhaps the OP could rent a VRBO for just a couple of months in each location to get a feel for the area. More expensive than a leased rental but for less time. It might be easier to find a VRBO, especially in off-season, that would allow two dogs and the source of retirement income would not matter. Some VRBOs and rentals allow small dogs under 20 pounds and I saw one that allowed up to 40 pounds while other ads did not specify a weight limit. There are real estate companies that also specialize in long and short term rentals - I saw some when I googled on Tellico Village. You could give them a call and see what they have to say about your chances of finding a suitable rental.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 05-24-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 11:53 AM

700 posts, read 537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Rochester, MN. Large complex. We offered to pay the whole six months up front, but they wouldn't allow that. We had proof of cash in the bank, not in retirement accounts (we'd just sold our house).

We even had trouble with the sublet; the people on the original lease had to stay on the lease and we were classified as roommates.

Tucson, AZ. We didn't apply, just discussed it with rental agent who said they didn't think we'd be accepted.

I assume a private owner would be easier to work with, but there wasn't anything available at that time.
Wow, not taking cash in the bank, that's surprising. If they don't take a large amount of cash in a bank account, that's crazy.

If someone can prove they have the resources to pay the rent, either with a retirement account, a large cash balance in a bank acc't, or SS, or a W-2, and has good credit scores, it should not make any difference. Probably just as well to steer clear from these kinds of property mgmt places anyway, if that's the case. I guess they set their own rules about what qualifies, but it also strikes me as very subjective, especially for a short term situation. I think you mentioned you were looking at 6 month rentals. Not to take cash up front for the entire rental period? That's nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or