U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:33 PM

2,053 posts, read 864,269 times

Advertisements

My wife colors her hair but I never colored mine. Although I'm bald on top, what hair I do have on the sides at 72 is still mostly brown. I think there's a certain gene that causes your hair to turn grey and white. I guess I don't have that gene, or it doesn't work very well for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 04:07 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,636,397 times
I'm 72. I started coloring my hair in high school ... for fun, not because it was going prematurely gray. I have no idea when I did start turning gray, because I always colored it.

Ten years ago, I retired, and gave up coloring my hair. Too much time, too much money. Fortunately, my hair color now is a beautiful silver, and I love it. Every time I go for a hair cut, the stylist compliments my color.

When it comes to hair, I won the genetic lottery. My dad had, and my mother still has (at age 96) beautiful silver hair. And both of my brothers have gorgeous hair too.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:18 PM

16,419 posts, read 5,354,959 times
Due to premature gray, I've been dyeing for half my life. But last December, when I turned 70, I decided it was time to go natural. I don't want my hair to look noticeably younger than my face, which it would eventually. I'd rather be a silver fox!

The stylist who does my color has been adding highlights since March, and so far I'm pleased with the results. The old dye has faded so much that you can't really see a line. I'm kind of excited about the change and looking forward to seeing what my "real" hair is going to look like. If you'd like to see how it looks now, I posted photos here:

Dangers of Hair Coloring

Old 05-22-2019, 04:52 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,117,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
The elder women at my synagogue colour their hair. The older they are the more garish the appearance. Jet black, flaming orange. rich red, deep earthy brown, bright blonde, quick silver. They look like something out of Those Fearless Vampire Killers.
Thanks for the laugh. 😂

Old 05-22-2019, 04:59 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,102,902 times
I'm not quite 70, but I'll answer anyway if you don't mind. I would love to grow mine out natural, but it looks like crap when the gray shows a lot--the texture is wiry and barely even looks like hair, more like gray chicken fuzz or something. So, I do still color it, but in a soft color which compliments my skin color. I do leave a tiny bit of gray on my temples, as I like that a little bit, and it looks natural.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:39 PM

1,651 posts, read 567,483 times
Never colored my hair and never will. The thought of putting any kind of chemicals other than a very mild shampoo on my hair/scalp freaks me out. (nope, I don't use conditioner or any other kind of hair product either)

Would I look "better" if I colored my hair? Maybe/possibly/probably, but at my stage of life I don't care, LOL

What has bothered me much more lately is noticing that my hair is getting thinner on top. But if it gets to the point where I deem it unacceptable, I'll just start wearing hats or scarves in public.

My DIL's mom who is 72 colors her hair to a very dark brown/almost black, and hers is much thinner than mine is. Personally I think the dark color makes the thinness much more noticeable because of the contrast between the dark strands and her scalp. But perhaps she feels that if she let it go gray it would look as if she has even less hair than she does.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:59 PM

9,151 posts, read 7,214,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm not quite 70, but I'll answer anyway if you don't mind. I would love to grow mine out natural, but it looks like crap when the gray shows a lot--the texture is wiry and barely even looks like hair, more like gray chicken fuzz or something. So, I do still color it, but in a soft color which compliments my skin color. I do leave a tiny bit of gray on my temples, as I like that a little bit, and it looks natural.

Chicken fuzz? You're not supposed to leave chicken on the counter that long!

Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 PM

9,151 posts, read 7,214,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Due to premature gray, I've been dyeing for half my life. But last December, when I turned 70, I decided it was time to go natural. I don't want my hair to look noticeably younger than my face, which it would eventually. I'd rather be a silver fox!

The stylist who does my color has been adding highlights since March, and so far I'm pleased with the results. The old dye has faded so much that you can't really see a line. I'm kind of excited about the change and looking forward to seeing what my "real" hair is going to look like. If you'd like to see how it looks now, I posted photos here:

Dangers of Hair Coloring

Yours looks nice. Not garishly artificial at all. Hoping I'll win Powerball tonight so I can get mine done.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:18 PM

274 posts, read 74,744 times
At 65 I have it done every 3 months. I am careful to have the color go with my skin color. My aunt still does hers at 94. My mom never did.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 PM

9,217 posts, read 8,302,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
The elder women at my synagogue colour their hair. The older they are the more garish the appearance. Jet black, flaming orange. rich red, deep earthy brown, bright blonde, quick silver. They look like something out of Those Fearless Vampire Killers.
Most of these women wear wigs. It is certainly very popular with Jewish women of a certain age here in South Florida.

And yes, they are on the garish side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or