U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 AM

257 posts, read 54,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post

I would not hesitate to go all grey if I had a pretty natural shade. It appears to me that people whose original color was very dark tend to go grey more attractively.

You see, I've seen tho opposite. We are all fairly dark brunettes in my family. What happens is that first our beautiful, warm brunette pigment goes so the hair becomes a flat, ashy brown (not even really brown). Then the gray starts and it's a dark steel wool color that is not attractive in any way. It never really goes completely gray.

I have several blonde friends whose gray has come in beautifully. Their blonde was awful dishwater for a while but the gray is wonderful.

Now my stepfather has always been a very dark brown color. His gray was very nice as it changed but he's now completely white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 AM

566 posts, read 267,828 times
I'm in my mid 60's and stopped coloring mine quite a few years ago. It is now salt and pepper and doesn't bother me at all.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 AM

10,313 posts, read 4,884,746 times
I'm 64 and have been coloring my premature gray for almost 30 years. I let it go natural once and my granddaughter said "Nonna, you look so old". Well I wasn't having that since I'm never taken for my actual age so I went back to coloring it slightly lighter than my natural brown. I'm thinking when I turn 70 I will let it go gray. My mother is 84 and still colors her hair but she does lowlights & highlights so it looks very natural.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 AM

688 posts, read 865,323 times
I'll soon be 76, and have had blonde streaks added to my hair for as long as I recall. It looks better than partial blonde, partial gray on me. I need some color to brighten complexion, and I've never liked all gray on me.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"..

Catsy

Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,647,817 times
If you are lucky enough to have hair to color

Old 05-23-2019, 08:48 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,923,622 times
Not 70 yet....never colored my hair. I do use a bluing shampoo so it will be silver instead of the dull gray. I like it. No one has ever said anything to me of course, although I know a friend disapproves of gray hair....

Do what makes you most comfortable

I usually wear rich colors next to my face or bright lipstick to combat the faded look some skin tones with gray hair can have...

Old 05-23-2019, 10:22 AM

8,320 posts, read 6,183,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am 65, and I started letting my hair grow out to its natural state about five years ago. I now have white wings and a naturally slightly frosted look, and it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I like no longer spending my time and money to try to look younger than my age.

OTOH, my mom is an active 86, and she still has her hair dyed professionally to a pretty brunette color, even though, in my opinion, it definitely does not look natural or even flattering to her now. I do think that if it makes her (or anyone else) feel better to color their hair, no matter what their age, then I say, "Go for it!" -- but I am just wondering how many of you color your hair in your senior years.

So, if you are a senior and (still) color your hair, how long do you think you will continue to do so?

And if you don't still color your hair, how old were you when you stopped doing so if you ever did?
My grandmother was 79 when she passed and I assumed she died her hair. Nope, she was mostly raven black with the very odd gray straggler naturally til the end.

My other grandmother died her hair til she was roughly 80. She only stopped when her daughter (roughly 60) went gray. The funny thing? My aunt looks really nice with her gray hair. It's just distinguished and elegant looking. My grandmother looked awful with her au-natural gray. I think it had more to do with the hairs physical characteristics and styles.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:22 PM

12,286 posts, read 12,525,000 times
I'm 72, and people still act suspicious if I ask for a senior citizen discount. I'm just starting to get a little gray at the temples. I have thought about having my hair bleached white. I get really tired of people treating me like I'm some punk 50 year old.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:26 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,144,006 times
I am 70 years old and I don't color my hair at all. I never got into that habit because I have always liked my natural hair color. Even when it turned gray, then white, it looked OK to me.

Besides, I feel like I have earned every single white hair! LOL So why hide them.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:12 PM

2,627 posts, read 2,583,561 times
I have never colored my hair, and that is why it has the absence of color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or