U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:09 PM

32 posts, read 25,194 times

Advertisements

I am 71 and starting to have enough gray to see. I enjoy watching it gray. At 71 a bunch at the top seemed to turn all at once. I wonder how long to be mostly gray. Never died and if i did maybe purple not just an old color like brown, but i want to watch it change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 04:59 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,577,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonofpink View Post
I am 71 and starting to have enough gray to see. I enjoy watching it gray. At 71 a bunch at the top seemed to turn all at once. I wonder how long to be mostly gray. Never died and if i did maybe purple not just an old color like brown, but i want to watch it change.
I'm 70 and do color my hair, but sometimes I let it go quite a while. Weird, some parts of my roots are gray but other parts come in totally brown. I wonder what it would look like if I left it alone? Half brown and half gray? While my Mom went totally gray in her 40's, my Dad only had a small patch of gray on the top of his head in his 60's. We are all different I suppose. I don't think I would like two tone hair.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:51 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,814,103 times
Never have, and never will.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 PM

15,190 posts, read 31,137,880 times
I'm nearly 70, colored for many years and quit 4 years ago. I had always intended to quit but did it sooner than later due to a cancerous cyst that developed on my scalp as a result of all the coloring - I was having to do it every few weeks due to roots. My naturl hair looks highlighted - brown underneath, streaks at the front and on top and a cap of silver strands. I like it and most people I meet do too. My husband loves it, he tells me all the time how much better it looks light and how he hated the fake dark color.

Like a previous poster, I also went very natural on soaps, shampoos etc, and overall look and feel much better/healthier/younger.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 AM

1,158 posts, read 648,842 times
I'm a medium brunette and I tried leaving my hair with its grey but that sorta drains the color from my face. So I color it a color to match my normal hair color. I color my eyebrows too which get so light it's hard to see them at all. I'm in the sun a lot and the longer parts of my hair tend to get sun-lightened. So when I color the roots I pull some down all through at the end and my hair all looks a nice color - looks healthier and younger. I get enough compliments that I know I should be doing this.

Incidentally, I do it myself and I take my store-bought kit and cut it in half, mix 1/2 of the color with 1/2 of the soap solution, and use it. Next time I have the other half to mix and use. So it just costs me between $4 & $5 to do it! Don't mix it first and try to keep half, just mix it before using.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:50 AM

21,856 posts, read 14,364,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I read somewhere the myth that true redheads don't go grey until they go white.

Hah!

I was a redwoods-bark redhead. My younger brother was a classic strawberry blond. My youngest sister was a copper-penny redhead.

I just started seeing grey, and for a while used a six-week red rinse to camouflage the grey. I eventually got tired of doing it and just let the grey come. I'm now grey - once in a while, in the right sunlight, a red cast will show up.

My brother just went lighter, and lighter, and lighter, and now has white hair. So he was the example that supports the rule.

My sister went to different colors in blotches. Not unattractive, but not like anything I'd seen anywhere else. I haven't actually seen her for a number of years, so I don't know what her hair looks like now.

(My three older siblings were Scandinavian blondes.)
One of my sisters, who had deep red hair, has seen her hair fade quite a bit. When she had a perm, some of the color seemed to come back. So, I think, graying red hair must happen in several possible ways to redheads.

I have noticed how my skin color has faded, as other posters have stated. I do see older women with faded skin and dark, dyed hair. Ouch! One of the things I notice, is how dye affects the texture and healthy appearance of old hair. I much prefer the natural, gray look, especially when the hair is well cared for. But we still have to condition our hair, and keep it trimmed or cut. And I use a special shampoo for white hair, which keeps my blonde from being too brassy.

For my lighter, paler face Iíve started mixing a darker face primer with my moisturizer, and using that instead of regular makeup. And I use blush over all my face to add color. I emphasize my cheeks, but add color all over my face.

We have to change strategies as we get older. But we are the lucky ones. Not everyone gets to be old. I try never to lose sight of that fact.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:13 AM

2,087 posts, read 706,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do see older women with faded skin and dark, dyed hair. Ouch! One of the things I notice, is how dye affects the texture and healthy appearance of old hair. I much prefer the natural, gray look, especially when the hair is well cared for. But we still have to condition our hair, and keep it trimmed or cut. And I use a special shampoo for white hair, which keeps my blonde from being too brassy.
Yes- hair dyed a uniform shade of dark brown against an older face is harsh and ugly- and I've seen that in men, too.

I'm too lazy and too cheap to color mine. I'm 66 and it's a pretty, silvery shade of grey but it's most definitely grey. Maybe I'll check next time I go to GreatClips and see what shampoo they have for grey hair.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:52 AM

13,216 posts, read 6,313,926 times
I look older when I don’t color my hair. I’m glad to pay $20 every 2.5 months. Plus my hair has natural highlights for some reason.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:28 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Due to premature gray, I've been dyeing for half my life. But last December, when I turned 70, I decided it was time to go natural. I don't want my hair to look noticeably younger than my face, which it would eventually. I'd rather be a silver fox!

The stylist who does my color has been adding highlights since March, and so far I'm pleased with the results. The old dye has faded so much that you can't really see a line. I'm kind of excited about the change and looking forward to seeing what my "real" hair is going to look like. If you'd like to see how it looks now, I posted photos here:

Dangers of Hair Coloring
Your hair looks great - you can't tell what you're doing.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 AM

194 posts, read 116,190 times
I'm 55 and stopped coloring last year. It got to where my hair was so gray and coarse that it wouldn't take the dye as well and the stylist kept having to go darker and darker in order to cover the gray - which of course looked very unnatural on me. I also have a few health issues so I am glad to not be adding harsh chemicals to my hair. I'm fortunate to have a nice silver color and do get lots of compliments. I'm happy with my decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or