Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 02:30 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times

Advertisements

I am 65 and just retired. I have been told I look like I am in my mid 50’s. My mother and sisters aged slowly too. I have short thick hair that grows fast - I get it cut every 6 weeks- which only costs me $30 -and I do color it a golden/auburn color every 4-5 months at a cost of about $20. No foil I just comb it in and shampoo. There are so many regular variations of color in my hair that applying color that way does not create that solid “helmet head” look.

I kept coloring because of work and because without color it is a dirty blonde color. Even tho I am 65 the gray has barely come in. My mother did not gray until she was well into her 70’s. I would love to go silver but that will not happen fast...I would have to do it myself. And I am not about to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetermined View Post
Allergic reactions and hair falling out...went totally gray by 60. As an executive I was told this would be the end of my career but no repercussions and lots of compliments . I love my hair; use Klorane shampoo and a clarifying one once in a while.
Klorane shampoo. Yes. I use it once a week.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Yes, the hair color product I used was the same brand I’ve used for decades.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am 65, and I started letting my hair grow out to its natural state about five years ago. I now have white wings and a naturally slightly frosted look, and it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I like no longer spending my time and money to try to look younger than my age.

OTOH, my mom is an active 86, and she still has her hair dyed professionally to a pretty brunette color, even though, in my opinion, it definitely does not look natural or even flattering to her now. I do think that if it makes her (or anyone else) feel better to color their hair, no matter what their age, then I say, "Go for it!" -- but I am just wondering how many of you color your hair in your senior years.

So, if you are a senior and (still) color your hair, how long do you think you will continue to do so?

And if you don't still color your hair, how old were you when you stopped doing so if you ever did?
I started coloring my hair when it didn't look that great (more salt than pepper). About age 64-65. I use the natural hair color products from Whole Foods, not that any permanent hair color is "natural," but these seem to be a little less toxic.

I'll do it as long as it makes sense. At some point, I'll grow tired of doing it and let the gray grow out. But I think that's down the road for me. I still get compliments on my hair and look younger than I am, so it works for me right now.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:36 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW to NEPA View Post
I grew up in an arty/hippie/counter-cultural social milieu and never wore make up. Now that I'm 65 I could probably really use the assist a little make-up could provide, especially when going out somewhere nice or having my picture taken, but the problem is I never learned how to do it right. The few times I've tried I end up looking like the same me but with weird junk on my face.
It sounds like you're not using the right shades. Bright shades don't brighten up our complexions, the RIGHT shades do. The most important thing to get right is the foundation color.

Try going to a department store beauty counter and tell them what you're trying to accomplish. Or Merle Norman if you have one there. Brighten up your face or add a glow but with a more natural or understated look.

I'm with you, I'm just learning to use eyeliner on my top lid. I've always scuffed a pencil along my lower lid, but never the top lid until a few years ago I decided I needed more definition. It takes practice. I'd put it on after I was in for the night when it didn't matter if I looked ridiculous, then take it off when I washed before bed. It took a few weeks to get it right, but well worth it. I still haven't figured out eye shadow. I look terrible. I should go to you tube and see if there's a teenager who can teach me how.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:41 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Aren’t those harsh chemicals dangerous?

I would not want to absorb whatever it is into my scalp/skin

My hair color and/or lack of hair is no big deal

Very fashionable wigs/hair pieces today and for men bald can be sexy to some

Last edited by FireStation46; 07-21-2019 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
I would feel so old, if I let my hair go grey. Blond, makes me feel good.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:36 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am 65, and I started letting my hair grow out to its natural state about five years ago. I now have white wings and a naturally slightly frosted look, and it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I like no longer spending my time and money to try to look younger than my age.

OTOH, my mom is an active 86, and she still has her hair dyed professionally to a pretty brunette color, even though, in my opinion, it definitely does not look natural or even flattering to her now. I do think that if it makes her (or anyone else) feel better to color their hair, no matter what their age, then I say, "Go for it!" -- but I am just wondering how many of you color your hair in your senior years.

So, if you are a senior and (still) color your hair, how long do you think you will continue to do so?

And if you don't still color your hair, how old were you when you stopped doing so if you ever did?
I’m 57. Been coloring (to the natural color) since 45. I think I’m done around 60. At a certain age, you just look foolish coloring it -the face gives it all away. It makes you look delusional rather than younger.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:48 PM

30,524 posts, read 16,217,604 times
70 here. had it tinted once when I was 40 or so. Never again.Also quit getting perms around the same age.

Never did wear make-up. Never will.

I'm the same person no matter what color my hair is so not going to waste the money.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:38 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Maybe someone will see this little posting and have an opinion.

I posted before that it is the face (and hands/neck) that betrays age more than hair, for me anyway. I considered getting one of those airbrush make up systems but didn't think the reviews were good enough.

Do any of you use this airbrush system and how does it work for you? If you get the right shade it would seem to offer good but light coverage.

At my daughter's wedding the lady doing my make up used the air brush and I wasn't impressed. But the sun damage, etc has gotten worse so if I could find a workable and easy system I might try it.

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement